• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• colin C
    replied
    Re: New iMac

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
    good init .couldnt do a check as my old one died but this is faaaaaaaast
    The only reason I had timings for the old iMac was because I changed an HD to an SSD, so I timed various functions before and after the SSD was fitted.

I nearly got caught out timing the new iMac. I expected Photoshop to load in around 10 seconds, but it did it in three. In fact it may have been a bit sooner as I was a bit surprised how quick it loaded and I didn't press the stop button quick enough.

Next job is to upgrade the RAM. I ordered it with 16GB, two sticks of 8GB DDR4. With four RAM slots available, I could have ordered another two sticks of 8GB, giving 32GB in total, but that would have added another £540 to the price. If I get the RAM from Crucial, two times 8GB will cost me £166.

My previous iMac had 4GB DDR2 and originally came with 2GB and was only designed for a maximum of 4GB.

Leave a comment:

• ctrollen
    replied

A new computer is a wonderful thing. With my new laptop last year I went from taking 90 seconds to process a single RAW file in DPP to about 12 secs. It's a similar spec to your iMac, excluding the screen of course!

Leave a comment:

• the black fox
    replied

good init .couldnt do a check as my old one died but this is faaaaaaaast

Leave a comment:

• colin C
    replied

I have had the stopwatch out.

From switching on to full availability:

145 secs Old iMac running El Capitan and 1Tb Hard Drive
    39secs Old iMac running El Capitan and 1Tb Solid State Drive
    19secs New iMac running High Sierra and 1Tb Solid State Drive

Photoshop - from clicking on the icon to full availability:

125 secs Old iMac running El Capitan and 1Tb Hard Drive
    19secs Old iMac running El Capitan and 1Tb Solid State Drive
    3secs New iMac running High Sierra and 1Tb Solid State Drive

Leave a comment:

• the black fox
    replied

which is strange considering it was uploaded at 1024 on longest edge ??

Leave a comment:

• Alan_H
    replied

All very interesting, had a look at Jeffs last post Head On Shorteared Owl and using the keyboard shortcut found that
    Flikr. 1321 x 772
    EOS Forum. 1408 x 881
    Don't know what to do with this info, perhaps Colin will understand more than me

Alan

Leave a comment:

• the black fox
    replied

Nice one Colin .my lads been having problems with photo sharpness with the retina screen I will cut and paste his thoughts and ideas when I get on mine a bit later .just in case. heres what he has written I haven't got a clue what he is on about but it might help you Colin
    .................................................. .........................................

This is a tip for all Retina Mac using Photographers out there. I've struggled for a while since getting my 5K iMac with many photo sharing sites especially Flickr, photo blogs and even facebook not displaying images sharply even ones that allow for larger images that are sized big enough to display great on these displays. It's especially a problem with images uploaded at low resolutions such as 1024 pixels wide as is common with many wildlife photographers to protect images. The solution is simple under view in safari click zoom out (there's shortcut keys). For my display if I zoom out 3 times Flickr will display images at the correct 100% scale. Yes 1024pixel images will be very small but they'll be sharp. 2048px images will look as big as 1024px images look on a standard screen of the size your using. an easy way to see if they are displaying at 100% is to measure the image width using CMD+Shift+4 which is for windowed screenshot and use the pixel measure that appears to measure the width of the image, it should be 512px width on the display if it's a 1024 image. Hope that all makes sense. Also if your opening your own images on the desktop and there soft. Open preview go to preferences then on the last tab (PDF) the top option define 100% scale should be the second option size on screen equals size on print out. And images will open 1:1 but obviously smaller. Hope this helps some of you out there, please share if it does.
    Last edited by the black fox; 15-03-2018, 08:28.

Leave a comment:

• ST-EOS
    replied

Congratulations on your new iMac Colin, I’ve been tempted to go across from a PC but every time I consider it I chicken out. But the bonus of the potential of speaking with an angel has whetted my appetite [emoji6]

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• colin C
    replied

A little angel with the most beautiful soft Irish accent came to the rescue. All sorted within a couple of minutes.

Leave a comment:

• @imagesBV
    replied

Phew!...all's well in the end.....I must admit it puts me off buying a new PC....a bitter sweet experience!

Leave a comment:

• colin C
    replied

It's arrived.

Ripped open the box, plugged it in and got going. It offered Migration Assistant to move my files and programs to the new iMac. Lovely, saves me lots of effort. It took four and a half flippin hours via bluetooth. I should have thought that one through and cabled it for a much quicker response, but hey, it's done.

After completion it did a restart and invited me to login. ??? I don't login, don't need to, waste of time. But she wasn't having any of it: Login or you don't get to play! Definitely the Mrs C of the Mac world. OK, i'll do it your way and logged in with my admin password .......... not accepted! OK, i'll use my Apple ID password ............. not accepted! Tried a few more options and nothing is acceptable. I could only use the iMac as a Guest User and couldn't get access to any of my files. Now I am getting the hump and even that stalwart of not taking any nonsense, Mrs C, is keeping out of the way. Getting close to the stage of a refund to my credit card and Apple can pick the damned thing up.

Decide to take the standard British response to all of life's problems, a nice cup of tea. Booked a timed call from Apple Support and they phoned me at the agreed time and walked me through re-setting my password. All problems solved. Apparently, on a new operating system, I have to login before I can activate automatic Login and without a password in the system, it wouldn't do anything.

Happy bunny now and most thankful for Apple Support. First impressions? Quicker than a very, very quick thing and amazing 5K graphics. Looking forward to having a go with Photoshop.

Leave a comment:

• colin C
    replied

it out specs mine Colin
    Only just Jeff.

Leave a comment:

• the black fox
    replied

it out specs mine Colin so I would hazard a guess your right .super fast processing here we come

Leave a comment:

• colin C
    replied

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
    spec on mine is
    27 inch i.mac
    processor g5 intel i7
    memory 16gb DDR3
    graphics nvidia geoforce gtx
    hard drive 500g SSD

blisteringly fast loads 500 raw files to Lightroom in 2 or 3 minutes
    My old one was:

Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 2-1.29.49 pm.jpg

My new one is:

Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 2.29.17 pm.jpg

I going to upgrade the RAM from 16 to 32GB using crucial RAM @ £160, compared to Mac @ £540.

I should think that little lot will cope with all I need for a long while.

Leave a comment:

• the black fox
    replied

spec on mine is
    27 inch i.mac
    processor g5 intel i7
    memory 16gb DDR3
    graphics nvidia geoforce gtx
    hard drive 500g SSD

blisteringly fast loads 500 raw files to Lightroom in 2 or 3 minutes

Leave a comment: