Thinking of upgrading from 500d to 7d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thinking of upgrading from 500d to 7d

The 7D us a super piece of kit. I have not for one second, regreted the purchase... It brings (or brought me after my 350D ) a steep learning curve. I can only say buy it, work with it and you'll love it..
    EOS 1DX, EOS 5D mkiii, EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f4 L USM, EF 24-70mm f2.8 L II USM, EF 70-200mm f2.8 L II IS USM, EF 50mm f1.2 L, EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro USM, Speedlite 580EX

Comment

I also can wholeheartedly reccomend the 7d. it's a great camera, I loved the way it felt in the hand, the camera seems very well balanced when fitted with most lenses and although some say it is heavy I find it is not a problem when carried all day. I also would reccomend a comprehensive manual to help you get the best from this camera, although I was very pleased with the results straight out of the box, it wil be a long time before you feel the need to upgrade.

Ray
      Last edited by raymon; 28-02-2012, 20:58.

Comment

I've had a 7D since Christmas 2009. It's a fine bit of kit but as others have said ... read the manual before you start playing ... I didn't and thought I'd bought a lemon (well not quite, but the 'failure' rate because of focus issues was higher than I would have expected) ... but it was MY fault. A full hard reset and a *manual* read [and the information at the Canon DLC Click ] ... its been faultless since.

The weight isn't an issue for me (it's actually very well balanced with a 300 f/4 L or 24-105L attached) ... but if every gram counts then choose something lighter.

Comment

I think its horses for courses, the 7D wins hands down for anything to do with speed which is what it was designed for - it uniquely (in that range) has two processors - and faster focussing
          The high ISO sensor performance is a tad better than the 60D and quite a bit better than the 500D according to DXO tests but way behind a full frame 5DMKII.

If fast action is not of interest the 60D is a better buy - similar output and saves lots of cash. Swivel LCD is extremely useful if you are into landscape or anytime you want to get down low.
          If cash is not an issue go for a 5DMKII (better IQ)

There is often a value attached to xD over an xxD...but sometimes that doesn't hold water in my opinion.
          My advice is to imagine you bought the 7D for a minute - would you regret having not bought the 60D instead (money saved - swivel LCD)
          Then imagine you bought the 60D - would you regret having nor bought the 7D (speed - better sealed body - xD cache')

bet you'll go for the 7D....I would - but then your needs might be different and you might be more level headed!
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Another very happy 7D owner. I upgraded from a 450D and not regretted it. When I started to look, all the negative posts and what seem over complicated settings were quickly dismissed when I took the leap and bought it. If you have any savvy at all then it is very intuative to use.

I also did swither between the 7D and 60D. Went into Jessops and had a play with both. Ergonomics and the 'feels right in my hand' was there over the 60D, which is purely my opinion. Cannot comment of performance between the two in the real world, but was lucky enough to be able to chose the dearer set up, and glad I did.

Comment

Another vote for the 7D. This is my first DSLR but I love it. I have used xxD's owned by friends and aside from anything else the 7D just feels far better in terms of build quality.
              Martin
              Canon 7D,EFS 15-85 IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

Comment

Originally posted by Stewartfinley View Post
                What I meant stan was that I'm not really interested in a full frame 5dmk2 or 1 series because I'll loose range.
                Buying longer lens is an option. Then you get better IQ and more pixels - also your 17-40 will work better as a wide angle
                ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                  Buying longer lens is an option. Then you get better IQ and more pixels - also your 17-40 will work better as a wide angle
                  I'm not made of money!! If money were no object I would look at the 7d twice!!
                  Canon 500d | 17-40 f4 L Lens | 70-200 f4 L Lens | 50mm 1.8 | 430exII | http://www.flickr.com/photos/stewartfinley/

Comment

I am by no means an expert, the opposite in fact but I recently upgraded from the 500D ( still have it, well, the kids do! Great camera) I too was looking at the 7D and 60D. I opted for the 60D. My reasons were largely based on wanting something I could use out of the box and not having to learn how to use the camera all over again. Didn't want anything too heavy, am careful with my equipment, and insured so wasn't overly bothered about not having the mag alloy body. The 60D by no means has a flimsy plastic feel anyway, it feels great in the hand. Good and solid. The 7D got glowing reviews, but to me seemed to be aimed at sports, fast moving arenas as has already been mentioned, whilst I will use it on the odd sports day, local football match etc this would, for me not be its main use. I have no area of special interest so wanted something to cover everything generally well. The 60D had some new features that are not on any other canon DSLR too, the articulated screen, in camera Raw processing etc. Whilst not essential, they just added something extra for me, and of interest, this is my hobby after all. I find myself exploring with different angles using the screen, it's great on a tripod too. The in camera RAW is fun too. Obviously not as good as sitting at a PC, but effective non the less. Being able to access core settings without having to sift thought the menus has been the biggest difference in use for me, with its external buttons and small screen mean I explore more now. Don't think I have taken a single shot in auto or P mode.

Good luck with your choice, as already suggested I would consider what you will use it for, I would get your hands on each too, aesthetics plays a large part, you want to be comfortable with the camera weight and feel and enjoy holding/using it.
                    Last edited by secondintime; 04-03-2012, 13:59.
                    Previously "The Real Swoosh"

My Blog..HERE....My website.....SECONDINTIME.....Flickr HERE..... 500px HERE

EOS 60D, EF- 70-200 L (non is), EF-24-105 L, EF-17-40 L , EF 100mm Macro, , EF 50mm II, 580 EX II, Canon S90. Kids Kit. EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm IS Manfrotto 3405B Tripod. Hama Compact pro Tripod. Giottos MTL 9351B Tripod, Giottos MH 1300 Head, Manfrotto 790B Monopod. Billingham Hadley Pro. Lowepro 202AW Slingshot Bag.

Comment

Thanks for the advice but I'm not interested in the 60d for several reasons.

1. Flappy screen.
                      2. Its plastic not alloy.
                      3. It doesn't have a built in speedlite transmitter.
                      4. It doesn't have 100% view finder.
                      5. Only 9 AF points.
                      Canon 500d | 17-40 f4 L Lens | 70-200 f4 L Lens | 50mm 1.8 | 430exII | http://www.flickr.com/photos/stewartfinley/

Comment

Well for all those points, except 3 (60d has wireless control over speed lights) sounds like you want a 7D. What you waiting for.
                        Previously "The Real Swoosh"

My Blog..HERE....My website.....SECONDINTIME.....Flickr HERE..... 500px HERE

EOS 60D, EF- 70-200 L (non is), EF-24-105 L, EF-17-40 L , EF 100mm Macro, , EF 50mm II, 580 EX II, Canon S90. Kids Kit. EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm IS Manfrotto 3405B Tripod. Hama Compact pro Tripod. Giottos MTL 9351B Tripod, Giottos MH 1300 Head, Manfrotto 790B Monopod. Billingham Hadley Pro. Lowepro 202AW Slingshot Bag.

Comment

It only a 'flappy screen when you want it to be.
                          If swivelled right round it lays onto the back of the camera like any other cameras.
                          The fact that it can be swivelled gives you 100% protection for the screen when just using the viewfinder, a big plus point.

Comment

Working...
                          X