Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shutter count of a 7D ?

Hi,
    I'm thinking of selling my Canon 7D body. Does anybody know how I find out what the shutter count is so I can inform a potential buyer of how much its been used?
    Thanks
    James
    James Boardman Woodend
    www.jameswoodend.com

Re: shutter count of a 7D ?

James, I have asked the same question and despite the help posted I can't find and answer to this. though I'm not selling mine I wanted to know out of interest. The best I have learnt is that the picture number gives you this, providing you haven't reset the camera.

Graydon
    Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
    EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

I am aware that Canon retaillers have software available to ascertain the shutter count, but it's not commercially available.

Regarding picture numbers, mine automatically re-set after 10,000 frames so that wouldn't be particularly helpful to a potential buyer.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
        Regarding picture numbers, mine automatically re-set after 10,000 frames so that wouldn't be particularly helpful to a potential buyer.

Colin
        Thanks Colin. I knew it couldnt be that straight forward. So I will just have to remember everytime it passes a picture count of 9999 :)

Comment

Thanks to all who responded to my question. Since I have hardly ever used the camera (it was bought as a back up body) it appears that the count on the last picture taken is the shutter count - it has never gone past the 9999 mark!! But of course, there is no way of proving that other than getting verification from Canon itself.
          Anyway. thanks for the info & the time spent responding to my problem
          James
          James Boardman Woodend
          www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

No problem at all James.

One person asks a question and nearly all of us learn from the answer ................ it's a great system.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

Erased most of my 7D experience from my mind so apologies if am going mad - but does it not also use a folder number? From memory it starts at 100 and ticks over to 101 for the next 9999 shots - or am I making that up?

Comment

Nope, you are making that up. It does click onto 101 after you exceed 9999, but when you next format, it drops back to 100.
                See more at www.andyleslie.com and www.facebook.com/AndyLesliePhotography, not to mention https://www.flickr.com/photos/andylesliephotography/

There's birds in them thar hills!

Comment

Hey ho - knew I'd blanked the 7D from my mind!!

Comment

This is reported to work :
                    Easy to use Canon shutter count software for Mac and Windows. Find the number of shutter actuations on a Canon EOS DSLR.

The roll over after 9,999 does not apply for this software it will give a count from when camera was new even if exceeding this (9,999) number .
                    I'd guess that the camera-display data-field has a bit depth (in the firmware) that returns the 9,999 limit and is not actually the limit of the count within the cameras "internals" .

Comment

Originally posted by Foggy View Post
                      This is reported to work :
                      Easy to use Canon shutter count software for Mac and Windows. Find the number of shutter actuations on a Canon EOS DSLR.

Thanks Foggy. This worked for me today. I'm using Windows 7, IE9. Once installed via your browser (it's an Active-X control) it costs $1.49 for a one off report of your shutter count or $5 for life time subscription. It uses your cameras serial number to recognise you.

This gave me an accurate count for my 7D. Look at the FAQ page for other supported cameras. It's a pity this wasn't added as a function in the recent V2.0.0 firmware update.

Graydon

<jonesgj>

Comment

Hi All,

I hope you don't take as a spam, but I do think we have a solution for you to read Canons' shutter actuations: ShutterCount, our app for OS X.
                        ShutterCount displays the number of shutter actuations of Canon EOS digital cameras and is developed for Mac users.

The app supports (among others) 7D.
                        More info: http://www.direstudio.com/shuttercount

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by AgnesL View Post
                          Hi All,

I hope you don't take as a spam, but I do think we have a solution for you to read Canons' shutter actuations: ShutterCount, our app for OS X.
                          ShutterCount displays the number of shutter actuations of Canon EOS digital cameras and is developed for Mac users.

The app supports (among others) 7D.
                          More info: http://www.direstudio.com/shuttercount

Cheers
                          It may be promoting your own software, but I thank you!

I downloaded the app last night (£1.49) and have checked the shutter count on my 60D and 6D, whilst initially sceptical, upon checking with my excel shutter-log both cameras seem to be there or thereabouts

Thanks for the app! All I now need is for it to automatically log its results each time the camera is plugged-in.
                          Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Dear Steve,

I am happy to hear it. If you have any comments, ideas, feedback, please let me know!

Agnes

Comment

Working...
                            X