5D Mark III First impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 5D Mark III First impressions

I agree with you John, but I was impressed with the internals of the camera it does look very nicely set out

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
      I can only assume your just having a bit of fun Brain.

Trev
      Caught out again
      ef-r

Comment

How about this review? http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cam...articleContent

Seems very different than DXOs results while actually using their testing suite.
        ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
          Caught out again

Comment

Played with 5D3 at Calumet today, really nice and contrary to opinion, is great for Wildlife and Bird photography with custom settings just for these subjects

Comment

Originally posted by DaveCurley View Post
              Played with 5D3 at Calumet today, really nice and contrary to opinion, is great for Wildlife and Bird photography with custom settings just for these subjects
              I think for occasional use they will be fine - but the 6fps and loss of crop is a big disadvatage
              ef-r

Comment

Sorry Brian but I have to disagree, fps should be enough, and good fieldcraft should get around the full frame issue, I take issue with photographers who blast away ,they tend to disturb the wildlife and there has been complaints in the WWT mags about the noise in hides of machine gun photography.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveCurley View Post
                  Sorry Brian but I have to disagree, fps should be enough, and good fieldcraft should get around the full frame issue, I take issue with photographers who blast away ,they tend to disturb the wildlife and there has been complaints in the WWT mags about the noise in hides of machine gun photography.
                  Everyone to their own - but when the wings are flapping fast I cant anticipate when the wing is going to be in the right position. We dont machine gun - just a quick burst of 3 or 4 as Colin C taught us - but slow fps = missed shots

It is the same with vehicles travelling at 100+ they cover the ground quickly so with slow fps means big gap between shots and the shot is missed.

For slow moving things my 1DS3 with 5fps is fine - but there are times when it is just pot luck.

I dont see how fieldcraft will get you close to small animals/birds. Perhaps you can tell me how to get near enough to a blue tit to get a full frame picture with a ff and a 400mm lens - and then catch the wings in the right position with a slow fps. I use my shed as a hide by my feeders and I am still struggling to get the blue tit with a 1D4 + 600 +1.4.
                  ef-r

Comment

Hi brian, I wish I could post some photos but I need to be shown how, I could then show you what I hav taken without shooting at 4/5 fps. Can I suggest you spend a day with Craig Jones Wildlife photographer, he will teach you fieldcraft to get close to anything.

High shutter speed rather than lots of frames and patience should help y get the wings stopped if thats what y want.

Comment

Dave - you need to read my post again - I was not saying lots of frames but frames close together which needs a high frame rate. I think I have worked out that a fast shutter speed is needed to freeze the subject.

Personally I have little interest in spending a lot of time dedicated to take a picture of one or two specific birds. So in a short paragraph how would fieldcraft get me close enough to a flying blue tit to take it with a 5 fps ff and a 400mm lens (or another focal length if you prefer)

Why cant you post the pictures? I could show you lots of birds taken at 5fps on my 1ds3 - however you wouldn't see the mountains of discarded ones where the wings were not in the right position when flying.

Here is a seagull I took today - this is uncropped. My requirement to to get a blue tit to fill the frame to the same amount when flying - how do you propose I should do this with a ff and no cropping?

ef-r

Comment

Add nuclear waste to the peanuts in the feeder?

Comment

Originally posted by DrJon View Post
                          Add nuclear waste to the peanuts in the feeder?
                          ef-r

Comment

Ok Brian fair enough, flying Blue tit big ask for non cropped body with slow fps , I supposed thats why I go for raptors, subject is bigger !

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                              ...It is the same with vehicles travelling at 100+ they cover the ground quickly so with slow fps means big gap between shots and the shot is missed.
                              ..or indeed two vehicles (red, usually smoking heavily) approaching each other at well in excess of 500mph. Sometimes there's no substitute for high frame rate.
                              Cheers

Oggie

Please feel free to critique or rework my pictures unless I ask otherwise.

EOS 1D MkIV EOS 7D 100-400 L, 300 F4 L, 24-105 L, EFS 15-85 IS USM

Oh Lord won't you buy me a 300mm F2.8L (or at a push, a 200-400 F4).

Comment

Had 5d3 for just 24 hours and love it, can someone point me to the instructions for uploading photos to this site and I will show you the first few photos of short eared owls, thanks in anticipation cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X