Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reasons for upgrading

Hello everyone,

I'm really interested why people feel the need to 'upgrade'. I use the 350D and am exceedingly happy with it. Used correctly, this camera can produced very excellent results indeed. The noise problem is simply not an issue, although of course you do get some at high ISO, but then DPP is able to 'fix' that quite nicely! I read that many people have owned this camera, but feel that now compared to the latest models, it cannot offer enough functions or is a bit limiting, depending on what you do. It would be worth while comparing the specifications from the later models to the earlier models. Generally, I think Canon do produce good cameras, and rather think that if you have poor results from the latest model - e.g. 7D, then just maybe, it is the case of a bad workman blames his tools.

So, why the need to upgrade.To be truthful, I would like to get the 50D, but it doesn't really do anymore than my 350D and simply cannot see the benefit. They both take pictures! Just need a good understanding of photography to get the best image. You don't even need to have the best lenses, e.g. Canon L series; Sigma seem to do fine, and cheaper.

For those who have upgraded, e.g. 350D to 450D, what is better about that camera, What benefits do you actually get from this - is the later model, truly better and you see significant improvement, if so - then that is a fair enough reason!

Could you please reply to this thread and let us members know the advantages or disadvantages of upgrading, reasons etc.
    I'm just really curious!

PS, my question is really intended for the keen amateur, like me, who likes to take good pictures!

(I had better not apply to Canon for marketing! )
    Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Re: Reasons for upgrading

I agree with you 150%. I started off on the digital line with a 350d and still have it; I am very pleased with it and it is very simple to operate like the EOS 3 film camera.Recently for Christmas my children presented me (after discussing same with me between a 450d & 500d) with a MINT 450d which they managed to get via their contacts for approx £285!!!!
    This is slightly better than the 350d in that it has spot metering, 12 mega pixels, and sensor cleaning. Apart from that there is no real difference. I like both cameras very much in that I have my walk about lens 55mm-250mm IS more or less fitted on the 450d and the other walk about lens 18mm-55mm IS fitted on the 350d. I use both cameras depending on the situations. Just like you I like to take GOOD PHOTOS and not simply upgrade for the sake of it. I also have only EF & IS lenses and no "L" series lenses. I have an EF 28mm-105mm USM ii & an EF 75mm-300mm USM ii lens in additiion to the two others mentioned.

I would like to add that if my children did not present me with a 450d I would have been very happy with the 350d, with it's battery grip & remote control unit for delayed action photos.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

LOL......... Vanity and wealth, if the latest bodies have more useful features, then that's a bonus ! :tongue:

Millie

Comment

This is a very interesting point. I think that people do get caught up by advertising and peer pressure.

Look at the number of threads where people are presented with recommendations with must have features (in my case - must have lens with f2.8 or faster).

Nothing wrong with this - PROVIDING that is what you want.

Eeyore - yes the 50D has a lot of features over and above the 350d. The biggest for me being the 15mp which means you can crop and still have a comfotable A4 print. I moved to the 50d from a film EOS 100 so I started with a blank canvas for the choice.There are all sorts of improvements which are not highly publicised - for example the ability to microfocus lens. Brian Vickers used this to dial in a Sigma lens - without this the lens would not have been sharp when wide open.

I agree with your sentiments - I still carry around my Powershot A550 and get excellent shots with that. It means I can always have a camera - the DSLR's are just too bulky. I used to carry around an EOS IX with a 35mm in a man bag in my film days.

I would consider a 350d ---> 450d/500d just an update
        the 350d --> 50d/7d is an upgrade

moving away from EF-S is a completely different discussion

Brian
        ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post
          LOL......... Vanity and wealth, if the latest bodies have more useful features, then that's a bonus ! :tongue:

Millie
          LOL I have to say I'm a bit of a sucker for new toys

However, my lastest upgrade (400D -> 7D) was based on increased functionality more than anything.

I'm a keen amateur and I have and unhealthy interest in aircraft and bought the 400D at the time as it was the only camera I could afford. It did a super job (still does) and I got a good few years out of it with great results. But, after the 7D was released I went through the reviews and spent some serious time considering it. The main reasons were:

- 8fps
          - Bigger resolution for cropping purposes
          - Better and more flexable AF
          - 100% viewfinder + transmissive overlay + more info
          - Bigger body (better feel to the grip with longer lenses e.g. 100-400L)
          - Better placed controls + flexibility to custom map buttons.
          - Bigger/better LCD

To name a few...

After trying the camera out a few times I took the plunge. It just feels better and seems easier to use. Airshows can be quite manic at times and with the 400D i missed a lot of the action because it wasn't so easy to flip between settings. For all other uses it was spot on, and I still haven't decided whether to keep it as a spare or sell it (the wife says sell it! )

You are right about the 7D though, I think you have to really know how to use a camera to get the best results out of it. I'm still learning, and always will, but that's part of the challenge to me. I'm extremely pleased with it I have to say.

FWIW I considered getting the 5D MkII for some time before the 7D came out, but I couldn't justify the expense at the time. I'm glad I held off as the 7D fits the bill for me perfectly. It all depends on what you want to use it for I guess. Same goes for lenses.
          Last edited by edster; 08-01-2010, 18:32. Reason: Can't spell
          7D, 400D + Grip (for Sale), G9, EF-S 10-22 USM, 50 f1.4 USM, 17-40L, 24-105L IS, 100-400L, 430EX, RC-1, Giottos ML3290B + MT8240B & MH1302. No spare money!

Comment

Hmmm ......... I seem to fall into the latter category by default.

My living was photography, using medium and large format cameras. The equipment were merely tools and if I needed something I ordered it. Now, photography is purely for me and mainly wildlife, which is what I dreamed of doing years ago and now I can indulge myself. I deliberately don't do any paid work, so that my photography is not compromised by clients wishes and expectations.

But I still have the mindset of the tools for the job and if I can see some clear justification in buying something new, or upgrading to a later version, then I go for it. Whilst upgrading a body is not likely to make me destitute, I never buy it just because it is the latest model and as far as bodies are concerned, I generally miss the next version and then buy the next version again. That way I normally gain quite an advantage over my current model, rather than just a few minor tweeks.

However, I seem to have overcome my normal inhibitions when the 1D MKIV was announced, purely because the upgrades were very pertinent to what I shoot, with the exception of video, which I shall probably never use.

On balance, that probably puts me somewhere in the middle. Whilst I fully accept that the photographers eye and a thorough understanding of the camera is far more imortant than all the latest gizmos (after all, I did start my career with a Zenit B) I am also comfortable with my tool concept and if there is a better tool for the job, use it.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

If you are happy with the 350D then why consider upgrading?
              No doubt the marketing hype gets to you at some point but you should dismiss it if thats all it is.
              The reality though is there is always some real advantages of the new models over the old - else they wouldn't sell.
              The 50D has a higher frame rate, 15MP for extra detail, is easier to use with more user friendly controls, has custom functions, lens focus mico-adjustment and other advances, the 7D has more still, the 5D is full frame for ultimate quality etc
              Each successive model brings new advantages in the range i.e. 400,450,500D or 40D 50D - but if none of these advantages interest you then don't change.
              On the other hand life is too short....just do it.....and enjoy!
              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

First of all make up your mind as to what you want out of photography- pleasure,good photos or keeping up with the Jones's! If as most of us want is pleasure and good photos from your holidays,special intersts, then stick with the tried and known camera whether it be the 350d,400d, 450d, 500d. It is far better to invest in better lenses than camera bodies as the lenses will definitely improve the pictures.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Sound advice. For me, camera bodies will come and go depending on my needs, but my lenses (I hope) will last me a lifetime.
                  7D, 400D + Grip (for Sale), G9, EF-S 10-22 USM, 50 f1.4 USM, 17-40L, 24-105L IS, 100-400L, 430EX, RC-1, Giottos ML3290B + MT8240B & MH1302. No spare money!

Comment

The history of photography has been all about upgrading. Few of us are using a pinhole camera or a brownie. It's easy to say, "But there's been a world of improvement in cameras since then." And that's true. But we are at a point in time in the development of technology where one wants and often can afford the best or newest, and improvements are occurring in one year cycles now. I think it's human nature.

I am considering the 7D over my present 50D. But not yet convinced. Yet, there it is always nagging me. Why climb Everest? Because it's there. Why upgrade? Because it's there.

As I have upgraded since buying my first Canon EOS, I have also done so because the sooner I upgrade, the more resale value the last model will still have.

Comment

I am of the opinion that digital cameras are portable,mini computers. One doesn't change computers every year although new models are coming in all the time. If you must one should consider upgrading in 5 year cycles and not every time a new models comes on the scene. Most camera manufacturers bring out new models with only slight improvements jus to tempt the consumers into buying- thats the way companies operate. We, the buying public must not fall a prey to these "tricks"!
                      One of the new "tricks" of camera manufacturers is to add on a movie mode to DSLR's. Are the pictures any better than a straight forward Camcorder or a Digicam? Consumer Which? tested for example the 500d and concluded that the movie pictures were of a poor quality. It rated the still pictures as first class!!
                      As I have stated before, better lenses take better pictures and NOT camera bodies.Just like with computers one should consider upgrading the software and not the computer itself.

Comment

For the vast majority of amateur and keen amateur photographers the 350 is a more than capable camera. Now some will want the greatest and latest of everything,other may need/want a function not available until you get a higher range of camera.

Personally as a semi pro sports tog, I'd like the higher frame rate and weather sealing of a 1 series over my 30D, but glass has to come first, no point having a top camera with a cheap lens, remember what goes in is what comes out.

Comment

I may be missing the point of this debate, If the tools you use satisfy your needs, there’s no reason to upgrade.

OFF TOPIC
                          Look at the number of threads where people are presented with recommendations with must have features (in my case - must have lens with f2.8 or faster).
                          @Brain, if you ask questions like this 24-70L 2.8 or 24-105L 4 IS I think people will assume you’re in the market for a 2.8 L zoom lens, have you decided against now?

Millie

Comment

No - but I may be getting a 70-200L first as my 17-55 IS gives good enough results to cover the low end whereas my 70-200 not that good and I like to take landscapes (and I prefer a longer lens - it used to be a 135 in the days of film)

Dont quite see why people would assume I am looking for a 2.8 L lens - I was looking for a walkabout lens that I would use a lot of the time - t the obvious contenders were those two - a f2.8 and a f4. I already have a 28-90II that I find very usefull, so my leaning is towards the 24-105l. For me small F numbers are not a must as I tend to take at F8+ for DOF( and I have a nifty 50 for the odd occasion I need to take pictures in poor light, and would probably add a 28mm 1.8 if needed). The point I was trying to make is that some peoples priorities are not anothers.

I am in total agreement with this thread - if there is no need to uprade then why would you, except perhaps for ease of use. I probably wouldn't move from a 350d to a 450d/500d unless I got the upgrade at a knockdown price. I could more understand the move from a 350d to a 50d/7d as there is significant extra functionality to be gained

Brian
                            Last edited by briansquibb; 11-01-2010, 18:32.
                            ef-r

Comment

Hi Guys,

Some interesting thoughts on this one. I'm in the upgrade dept - & this from someone who up until 18 months ago was still using a Canon AE-1P. Which I still have & is now 30 years old & still takes a damn good photo (never been away to be refurbished, cleaned etc - superb reliability!). I finally decided to get a DSLR when I saw the results my eldest son (who bought a 40D as his first camera)started getting. I bought a 450D + 70-300mm zoom lens. I was very happy with this set up, until I got involved with doing articles for a model aircraft mag.

Firstly, I needed a bigger zoom lens. I needed to get a better success rate on the number of good sharp pictures to those in soft focus. I thought the 100-400mm L lens would be the answer & my good to okay ratio would improve - it did, but not by the amount I expected. I borrowed a 40D & tried again up at my local flying field. The difference was what I had hoped for. The number of good useable pictures went right up - so now some serious thinking + saving. In the end I decided on a 50D & I haven't regretted this investment for one moment. The 50D + 100-400mm L lens were made for each other. I get results from this combination that I could only dream about with the 450D.

So, in the end a lot of whether you upgrade or not is really down to what sort of photography you want to do. To just say I'm not going to upgrade ever is a bit of the old "sticking your head in the sand" syndrome. If you're doing general every day type photography then a 350D will do an adequate job, but if you want to do a more specific type of photography then you've got to look at what's the best machine for the job & that's why I'm saving for a 7D. Why a 7D when I have really good camera in the 50D? Simple - the AF system in the 7D is much better & make life easier taking pictures of small fast flying model aircraft.

That's my 2 pence worth (or perhaps a couple of quids worth!).

TTFN,
                              Neil
                              Neilly's Flickr Page
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
                              Facebook
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

Working...
                              X