Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Reasons for upgrading - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reasons for upgrading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reasons for upgrading

Dont quite see why people would assume I am looking for a 2.8 L lens.
    It's just that your 24-70L 2.8 or 24-105L 4 IS post, begins...
    I am thinking up upgrading my standard lens to one of these.

On an even lighter note,
    How many of you lot banging on about not upgrading, would be saying that if you won the lottery next week ?

Honest answers on a postcard only please. :-)))))))))))))))))))))))

Millie

Comment

Interesting thread.
      I upgraded from a 300D and 20D to the 50D, and found some great advantages of the 50 over the others -
      - the bigger, clearer LCD screen
      - the ability to microadjust the focus for each lens
      - the ability to output a high definition image to a HD TV via the HDMI socket
      - the ability to use live view and its magnification with a long lens for bird identification when I've forgotten the binocs....
      - the ability to set up ISO, focus, shooting and exposure combinations at C1 and C2 positions on the wheel which means I can put the whole thing in eg "birds in flight" mode with one quick twist.
      But also realised that -
      - I needed more memory cards because of the larger file sizes
      - my computer hard-drive was filling up at an alarming rate....
      - the camera now does even more things that I probably will never use (eg. face recognition)
      Yet, they are all Canon cameras, so by and large deliver as promised, and you do get used to "Canon" ways and controls.
      Is it worth upgrading? Could be - depends on you. Having a shiny new model doesn't bother me at all, but am I pleased I did it? Yes. Simple as that.
      Cheers, Chris.
      Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post
        It's just that your 24-70L 2.8 or 24-105L 4 IS post, begins...

On an even lighter note,
        How many of you lot banging on about not upgrading, would be saying that if you won the lottery next week ?

Millie
        Me definitely - I am tired of juggling a small budget and continually re-assessing my priorities to match I would love a 1d IV and matching lens

Um .... about the f# - one was a f2.8, one was f4 - wouldn't I have disounted the f4 if I was looking for a f2.8?
        ef-r

Comment

Yee ha Brian, I'm glad I made you smile, I was trying to do that

I think photography forums and mags tend to fuel 'kit lust'.
          I stayed away from both for a while and hardly bought a thing.

Millie

Comment

On an even lighter note,

Millie
            If a won the jackpot lotto, then my order would be in for two 1D mk IV and the following lenses.

Last edited by Mark; 11-01-2010, 22:51.

Comment

I find this to be one of the more interesting threads we've had.

I think there are multiple mindsets that can lead someone to upgrade.

1. There's a feature or features (or leap in technology) on the new model that I really want or need.
              2. I'm progressing in my learning curve, so I want a more sophisticated camera.
              3. I'm hooked on technology, so I want everything that's new.

I buy most upgrades (EOS20D-EOS40D-EOS50D)...skipped the 30D. Each time I wait until the first big price drop and then sell my previous back-up camera. My equipment stays relatively "new", I get the advances, and it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg with the old back-up resale (the value of which keeps dropping the longer I wait).

I'm also retired and fortunately to be on an income level that more than meets my needs. I can afford to treat myself occasionally, so if I really want it, I buy it. But, in that regard, there are limits, and the 7D may be my limit on that. There's a mix of concerns that so far have kept me from leaping at the 7D...the relatively high price, what some say is a steep learning curve, wondering about a 60D or 70D (which might be more my comfortable level and which Canon has failed to say is or is not going to happen).

I guess for me, so far, the good thing about the 7D and not having it, but contemplating it, is that being in that position has led me to more frequently play with the controls on my 50D, and less often relying on some degree of automatic settings.

Comment

It would appear that the moral is to upgrade if there is a definite improvement in the photographs, functionality of the camera etc. I was however surprised to note that Neilly got better pictures/results with the 40d which has 10 megapixels to the 450d which has 12megapixels.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I was however surprised to note that Neilly got better pictures/results with the 40d which has 10 megapixels to the 450d which has 12megapixels.
                  Hi Nathaniel
                  Why does that surprise you, do you think more magapixels = better pictures/results ?

Millie

Comment

Contrary to my earlier post, where I went into some detail regarding my reasons for upgrading, it just came to me in a flash the best reason ever to upgrade: Because I can ! He, he.

Colin
                    Colin

Comment

LOL. Sorry it's too late Colin - you've been on here being sensible, trying to justify your spending - we have to accept you first answer. :tongue:

Millie

Comment

My reason for upgrading would be to have the " best " body/lens combination I can afford that will give me the best results.
                        I would go F/F if I could afford to.

Comment

Hi! Millie,
                          Pardon my ignorance but I always thought more megapixes = better pictures i.e up to 12 m.p. Beyond that I have read in the Forum from various readers comments about the noise problem found in models with higher m.pixels.Having said that I also have a 300d which takes very good pictures with only 8 m.pixels. I stand to be corrected if my understanding of M.p's is all wrong.
                          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Hi! Millie,
                            Pardon my ignorance but I always thought more megapixes = better pictures i.e up to 12 m.p. Beyond that I have read in the Forum from various readers comments about the noise problem found in models with higher m.pixels.Having said that I also have a 300d which takes very good pictures with only 8 m.pixels. I stand to be corrected if my understanding of M.p's is all wrong.
                            Allow me to declare my ignorance.
                            Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this by chattng about it.
                            There are people who know all the science behind this, I'm not one of them.

My logic is simple, you can get 10 MP cameraphones, yet the IQ is rotten.
                            Leaving aside the optics it has to have something to do with the ability of sensor and maybe the processor.
                            If it was on MP alone the 10MP 400D IQ would be equal to the 1dmk3.

Who has a concise; yet ' low tech' answer that will not bore us all to tears ? :-)

Millie
                            Last edited by Millie; 12-01-2010, 21:03. Reason: typo

Comment

Allow me to declare my ignorance.
                              Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this by chattng about it.
                              There are people who know all the science behind this, I'm not one of them.

My logic is simple, you can get 10 MP cameraphones, yet the IQ is rotten.
                              Leaving aside the optics it has to have something to do with the ability of sensor and maybe the processor.
                              If it was on MP alone the 10MP 400D IQ would be equal to the 1dmk3.

Who has a concise; yet ' low tech' answer that will not bore us all to tears ? :-)

Millie
                              1. Hi Millie
                              From another thread?
                              No I don't think you rude at all.

I would like some clarification re my recent post apart from just f/f might be best but perhaps I'm asking too much?

Regarding your question about the S in 1Ds Mark* I would think it stands for system?

I'm still confused about what or how many Mega pixels I would need to get clear A3 prints (assuming the image was clear to start with) and then I could maybe fit the megapixels to whichever camera (Canon of course) I would want to aim for?

Ho Hum

John
                              Last edited by Guest; 12-01-2010, 21:57. Reason: Wrong Thread?

Comment

Originally posted by johnatj View Post
                                1. Hi Millie
                                From another thread?
                                No I don't think you rude at all.

I would like some clarification re my recent post apart from just f/f might be best but perhaps I'm asking too much?

Regarding your question about the S in 1Ds Mark* I would think it stands for system?

I'm still confused about what or how many Mega pixels I would need to get clear A3 prints (assuming the image was clear to start with) and then I could maybe fit the megapixels to whichever camera (Canon of course) I would want to aim for?

Ho Hum

John

I always thought the S in 1Ds stood for super expensive :) or more realistic studio model.

As for megapixel to prints size then page 67 of EOS magazine October -December 2009 has a nice table.

For A3 at 300ppi 16.7 effective mega-pixels or more, at 200 ppi 8.2 effective mega-pixels according to the table.

Comment

Working...
                                X