Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS 6D - to buy or not to buy?

OK, here's my "problem".

I currently own a Sony Alpha 77, which is a great piece of kit in many ways. However in low light, and at even moderate ISO (800), image noise is very noticeable. Images shot at 1600 are noisy and distinctly 'soft'.

I've decided that the time is right to move to full frame and to switch out of Sony; I have never owned a Canon camera before, other than (briefly) a G1X, so considering a 6D is like venturing into a whole new world! By all accounts it's a great camera with fantastic IQ even at high ISO, so may be just what I need.

My concern is over focus points, with obvious comparisons with the 6D's main competitor, the D600. I tend not to use many focus points with my current setup and more often than not in fact just use the centre focus point, but there are occasions where tracking or off-centre focus is useful or even necessary. I'm tending to favour the 6D over the D600because of the latter's 'dust' issues, but it seems on paper to be the better specied camera in many ways. Most of my photography is landscape/travel based, with some (not much) portrait work and some wildlife.

I'm going on a trip to South Africa later in the year where I'll be doing quite a bit of landscape/street work, but we're also doing a couple of safaris. Obviously on safari I don't want to miss shots, or get OOF ones, due to shortcomings in the camera's focussing ability. And before anyone suggests a 5D mkIII, I can neither afford nor need it!

Advice and opinions welcome!

Re: EOS 6D - to buy or not to buy?

Hello Bluebear and welcome to the EOS Magazine forum.

There is an excellent review of the Canon 6D at dpreview.com HERE
    If you choose the Canon 6D then which lenses will you be also buying?
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Ive read that review, which makes the 6D seem tempting!
      The 24-105L, 35mm IS and a telezoom - undecided at the moment!

Comment

Hi Bluebear!

I bought the 6D a couple of months ago, and can say that I've not been disappointed with it in the slightest. It's a fabulous camera, relatively small, light, has phenomenal ISO performance, and great image quality. The "silent" shutter is also a real bonus, whilst being far from silent it's a lot quieter than my previous camera (does your Sony have a pellicle mirror? If so, then the 6D may not strike you as quiet!)

I, like you, was somewhat concerned at the paltry complement of 11 autofocus points, and like you I tend to use a single point most of the time, but I recently had the opportunity to use its servo AF in auto mode at motor racing and didn't find it lacking at all. OK, the AF points cover only around half the frame width which can be a little limiting, but that's the case with Nikon too (unless you adopt the bizarre "crop mode"), and I found that it was pretty easy to keep my subject beneath at least one of the 11 points. Tracking sensitivity can be adjusted, but I left it alone on the default settings and didn't have any problems.

The sensitive central point is a real boon too, picking up focus in almost in-feasibly dim conditions.

Now, having said how much I like the camera I have to ask why you're switching to Canon? If its just for ISO performance then whilst the 6D is awfully competent I have to question the wisdom of paying the premium for full-frame. The new 70D offers similar ISO performance for a significantly lower outlay as its a crop- sensor body.

For even less the old stalwart 7D gives class leading autofocus with 19 points, and a whole deal of cash to invest in fast glass to offset the mediocre ISO performance.

I'd also have to say that as you're unencumbered by an existing system'
        s constraints, N***** also offer some tempting propositions in the region you're contemplating, and some have a significantly superior AF system.

So, to sum up, the 6D's a great choice, but I wonder whether its the right choice!
        Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Thanks Steve, that's very helpful.

Why full frame? Probably for the same reason most people buy FF - top notch IQ, shallower DOF with fast glass, large bright viewfinder and a wider field of view. Yes, I have looked at the 'opposition' and am considering options there, inc their latest high end APS-C model. Decisions, decisions!

Comment

It looks as though you've thought the FF route through, if you're hankering after FF then I wholeheartedly recommend the 6D for fantastic value for money, and I wouldn't be too phased by the on-paper AF constraints.

What I did was list the pros/cons (in my case 5Diii/6D) and then asked advice (see here). After using the 6D for a while I can safely say that most of my listed cons aren't really cons at all. I've not found the AF wanting in any major way, I fitted a gridded focussing screen (around £25) so I don't miss the transmissive screen, but the loss of the 1/8000th top-speed has resulted in having to stop-down a little in the brightest of sunlight, and the slowish flash-sync speed of 1/180th causes me to use high-speed-sync more than I used to.

Do you have an iPhone/iPad? If so, then the Canon Remote app is the perfect way to take remote pictures, and is a real unique selling point for the 6D.

There are options for minimising the initial outlay if you're amenable to grey-imports and the potential problems associated with this (lack of Canon warranty, possible import-duty, possibly longer delivery times). The likes of ProCameraShop and OneStopDigital will sell you one for around £1,100.
            Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Working...
            X