7D v 5D Mlll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7D v 5D Mlll

I have been toying with the idea of perhaps upgrading from my EOS 7D to the EOS 5D Mklll, and would be interested to hear from any member(s) here, that has done this.

Obviously, its a significant step financially, but taking that out of the equation, was the upgrade worthwhile in terms of what it gave you in terms of performance, apart from the larger sensor.

I'm referring to things like the 61 point AF system, later generation processor, noise performance, and higher ISO etc.

I've only had my 7D for less than a couple of years, having upgraded from a 30D, and it is without doubt, an excellent camera, and pleasure to use.

So why would I be thinking about changing it. Well, having decided to give up boating as a hobby, I have handed my boat (a 27' Motor Cruiser) to a Yacht Broker to be sold. If and when its sells, it will produce enough funds to buy quite a few 5Ds

So, to cheer me up, after parting with my boat, which was 'the other love and woman in my life' , I thought I might treat myself to a new camera, and the 5D Mklll would seem to be a good choice.

I should add, that I wouldn't consider a 1D, as I wouldn't want to be carting it around with me. The 7D with the 24-105 L, is heavy enough, and the 5D is 130g heavier, but manageable.

Also being no more than a enthusiastic amateur, a 1D would be a significant overkill for my use.

Oh yes, all of my lenses, except my 10-20 wide angle, are suitable for Full Frame.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave_S; 05-10-2013, 18:05.
    Dave

Re: 7D v 5D Mlll

Dave, I can't give you a view on the change from a 7D to 5D3 as I went from a 50D to the 5D3.

I believe you would find the AF much better than the 7D and the IQ better for me the change was significant and a real benefit, yes I lost the 1.6 crop factor but gained so much more in low light capability and better image quality it was well worth the change. The high speed burst rate on the 5D3 won't quite match that of your 7D but it depends on if this is a big issue for you.

The 5D3 IMHO is a very well built and robust camera which is pretty waterproof, I have used mine in heavy rain and not had a problem, also when using it is heat and high humidity it has performed much better than the old 50D in as much as things didn't mist up with condensation due to the weather sealing. The battery life I found much better than the 50D, I can shoot between 1200 - 1500 images on a single battery.

i don't know if. This is of any help.

Comment

Thanks for your input, all feedback is useful.

Going from the 30D to the 7d was a significant step up, so probably much like your going from the 50D.

Yes, the 7D is 'top dog' when it comes to fps speed, but to be honest, I have never needed it, as I'm not into sports photography.

I guess there would be times when I'd miss the x1.6 crop factor, which effectively turns the maximum focal length of my 70-300 into 480mm. Great for wildlife etc.

Maybe also the odd occasion when I'd miss the pop-up flash of the 7D, as I don't generally cart my external flash around with me.

Then again, the better low light performance of the 5D might well offset this.

A case of 'win some, lose some' I suppose.

I could of course keep the 7D and buy the 5D, as the 7D is very 'low mileage', but I know that I would tempted to use the 5D all the time, as I wouldn't carry two heavy cameras around with me.

Dave
      Last edited by Dave_S; 05-10-2013, 21:32. Reason: typo
      Dave

Comment

Dave, I haven't used a 7D, but I understand that they're a very good camera. I had a 600D and moved to a 5D3 (very much a one off purchase for me) and I don't regret spending the money at all. I love the camera for the IQ alone and I don't miss the 1.6 crop factor.
        Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
        http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
        https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Thanks Andy.

Quite a jump from a 600D.

I guess with extra resolution of the 5D, then cropping after capture could produce the equivalent of a 1.6x crop factor image, quite comfortably.

Dave
          Dave

Comment

Hi Dave
            Have you considered the 70D? There was a great article in the last issue of the EOS magazine. Worth considering before you make the jump up to a 5D mk3
            James
            James Boardman Woodend
            www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

I did this a few months ago ... and no regrets. Does it feel like its worth 2x the cost of a 7D ... that's a harder call.

I had owned the 7D since 2009 and felt a change was needed but not for rational logical reasons.

The lack of crop factor may have a slight impact with telephotos if you are after maximum reach ... but it's to your advantage at the wide end. When mounting the 17-40L it took me back to the days I used a Nikon film camera and a 17mm Nikkor. I keep the 5D3 for 'best' so am still learning it many and varied options.

Comment

I had both the 7D and 5D2 (two) and was very happy with both, similar size camera, similar weight, operations very similar etc..
                The 7D is 18 megapixels, to achieve the same on the 5D2 you would need 29 megapixels the 5D2 is 21 megapixels (still plenty of detail).
                The new 5D3 is 22 megapixels so not much gain there, the 5D3 does have the latest Digic 5+ processor and 61 focal points (same as 1D X).
                You only get 6 fps with the 5D3 compared to 9 fps on 7D (1D X has 14 fps).
                You can NOT use EF-S lenses on the 5D3.
                The 5D3 is 100g heavier than the 7D and 5D2.
                Same battery (LP-E6) and great battery life.

Full 5D3 review (dpreview)

I would love one.

hope it helps a little
                Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Hi there. I can't see that it's any contest really. About the only aspect that the 7D is "better" than the Mk3 is 9fps compared to 6fps. But lets be realistic - you are unlikely to need the difference on a regular basis. The 7D has lots of devotees, but compared to the Mk3 it's positively archaic in every respect. The Mk3 is close to being the best body on the market - any market. If the 7D was so good in the present range then why would Canon be considering replacing it? It's reached the end of it's life and has been overtaken by natural progression. Buy one, if you don't you'll constantly be regretting your decision. If you were anywhere near Blackburn you could have a play with mine/ours - hubby has one too!

Comment

As an after thought, get the 5D3 and keep the 7D.
                    The 7D is great for wildlife or candids, whilst the 5D3 is great at portraits, landscape, architecture and macro.
                    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
                      As an after thought, get the 5D3 and keep the 7D.
                      The 7D is great for wildlife or candids, whilst the 5D3 is great at portraits, landscape, architecture and macro.
                      This! /\
                      Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                      http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                      https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Have to agree with Stephen, if I could afford it that is the way I would like to go Dave.

Bill.
                        7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated.

James, for me the 70D wouldn't be on my shopping list, because it has a polycarbonate body.

There's no doubting that its a great camera, with the latest technology on-board, but just not for me.

Coming from my 35mm film days and a Canonette S f/1.7 fixed lens camera, followed by an AE1-P, both of which had mag alloy bodies, my first DSLR was the EOS 300D (£900), which had plastic body.

Although it was a good camera, the build quality just didn't feel good after using the mag alloy bodied SLRs.

From the EOS 300D, I upgraded to the EOS 30D, which of course had a mag alloy body, and I felt comfortable with this.

When I decided to upgrade from the 30D, I considered the 60D, until I realised Canon had IMO, downgraded the mag alloy body of the 30D, to a Polycarbonate one for the 60D.

As such, I had to make the jump to the 7D, in order to get a mag alloy bodied camera, a decision in terms of the camera itself, I'm really glad I made, as I love the 7D.

In order to upgrade from the 7D, and retain the mag alloy build quality, I have to jump over the 6D, and go for the 5D.

I not saying that there is anything wrong with the Polycarbonate body, and I'm sure the build quality is excellent, but its just not for me.

Dave
                          Dave

Comment

As for keeping the 7D, and adding the 5D Mklll to my armoury that is of course an option, as the 7D would probably only realise <£700 in part ex, if that much even.

However, knowing me as I do , the 7D wouldn't be used, which would be shame as its a camera that deserves to be used and enjoyed.

Anyway, I've got plenty of thinking time, as Autumn/Winter isn't peak boat selling/buying time, and the boat could sit unsold in the Broker's until next Spring.

Dave
                            Dave

Comment

I'd be tempted to go for Stephen's suggestion (if funds allow), and get a 5DIII and keep your 7D.

Even though the 7D is coming to the end of it's life cycle, it's still a darned good camera.

I have a 7D and a 1Ds MKIII, and I use both, for sports/birds the 7D come's into it's own, 1.6 crop and a fast frame rate, while the 1Ds MKIII covers the rest (mainly landscapes/people).

And if you are not in a position to purchase till spring, the 7D MKII might be out, which should be added to the mix?
                              Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                              Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Working...
                              X