Shutter Actuation Count

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shutter Actuation Count

Gordon , the 'astro-jargon' application doesn't work with the EOS 7D unfortunately, but it was worth a try.

Paul, the £1.79 application you suggested, wanted to install an Active X file onto to my PC, so I decided that "discretion was the better part of valour"

So, I'm, still none the wiser, apart from the fact I know the shutter count is very low, albeit I don't have a number for it.

BTW Gordon, if I said 'paramount' to you, would you relate to it?

Dave
    Last edited by Dave_S; 12-10-2013, 16:12.
    Dave

Comment

Hi Dave shame that astrojargon didn't work for you odd cos it states on their site that it reads most EOS cameras, anyway on searching around the web the site below keeps coming up specifically for the 7D actuations maybe this will work, let me know

Kind Regards
      Gordon

Comment

Hi Dave just noticed your question re "paramount", and if I would relate to it.... a tad cryptive there Dave, paramount to me means of importance so I'm a bit lost as to what you're alluding too please explain

Kind Regards
        Gordon

Comment

On my Astro-Imaging forum, we have member who is a Gordon H........., and he has the 'user name' 'paramount'.

When you provided that 'link' to 'astro jargon', I put Gordon H, and astro-jargon together, and thought you might be the same Gordon H, hence my reference to 'paramount'.

However, it seems that I put two and two together, and made five.

Apologies for the confusion.

Dave
          Dave

Comment

The free demo version of this worked for me on my 7D: http://www.ideiki.com/astro/Default.aspx

I confirmed it wasn't using a random number generator by taking a picture and it did, indeed, increment by one.

Crop from a screendump:
            Shutter Count.jpg

Cheers,
            John

Comment

Thanks for that John, it does indeed work

It also looks to have a number of astro-imaging features/tools, which could be very useful, and I will explore these to see if its worth buying. Albeit, it is only 12.7 Eu, so not a lot of money.

Anyway, I now know that the shutter count on my 7D is just 756, more than the 300 that I thought, but still very 'low mileage' indeed, leaving a theoretical minimum of 99,244 actuations left to go (lol).

If I do decide to sell it, when I get the 5D MkIII, it will be nice to be able to state the number of shutter actuations, and even show this using that software.

Thanks again for that, much appreciated.

Dave
              Last edited by Dave_S; 13-10-2013, 15:41.
              Dave

Comment

I expect I'll wear my 6D out very quickly indeed. What actually happens when it reaches the end of its shelf life?
                Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

I think that they 'self destruct'

Dave
                  Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Riggers View Post
                    ... What actually happens when it reaches the end of its shelf life?
                    That is a good question!

When I bought my 7D the seller reported the shutter count to be "around 20,000" but, having taken 1200 myself, I now know it must have been nearer 30,000. Canon state the 7D is good for 150,000 so I have around 120,000 left which, at my present rate, will be reached in a disturbingly short time. OK, it may last longer (or fail sooner) but fail it will probably sometime in my ownership.

So, to the question, what happens? Is it repairable? And, if so, at what cost? Can servicing stave-off the impending failure? Or, does it just become an expensive paperweight?

Cheers,
                    John

Comment

Working...
                    X