7d or 1Dmkiii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7d or 1Dmkiii

got a bit of a quandary at the moment ,i shoot mainly wildlife 98% of the time ,now using a 400mm f5.6 lens on a 7d body ,however i cannot for the love of me GEL with the 7d and having had a 1dmkii before wondered if a idmkiii would be a better choice of body .
    i know full well i would lose some reach and crop ability but would it be the right move to make or not given what i do .has anybody used the 1d3 with the 400mm f5.6 ,or done that move which looks on paper to be retrograde i.e going from 18mp cropped to a c-sensor and 10m.p

Re: 7d or 1Dmkiii

I did exactly the same thing,I had a 7D which i never really got on. So i went and bought a second hand 1D mkiii instead I've NEVER LOOKED BACK.

Things to remember though is this camera is getting on a bit and even I'm thinking its time to upgrade, noise levels drop Quite bad after 800iso and the focus options are a lot less than you get with a 7D/5Dmiii, though if you've used a 1Dmkii you'll know what to expect.

Image Quality and color have always been spot on, probably due to the larger sensor at 1.3. The 1D has worked well for me in the line of shooting that i tend to do (sports/events). not used with a 400mm but 95% of the time used with a 300mmf2.8 which works a dream.

Its a tough decision and maybe worth holding out till the new year and see how the 7Dmkii turns out!!!

This is an image from a few weeks ago.
    EOS 1Dmkiii +300mm, iso400,

Hull Sharks by Paul linton1, on Flickr
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I know lots of photographers that prefer the 1d3 over the 7d for motorsport photography if thats any help.

Comment

Both are excellent cameras for wildlife photography but the 1 series body probably has the edge in terms of quality but obviously less reach with the same lens - although dont forget you can use the 1.4 converter on a 400 f5.6 and still retain autofocus with thev 1D

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

what i missed out of my initial post was the fact that i also have a 60d ,barely used the wife uses it when she comes out ,(not often in winter ) thats got a sigma 120-400mm.os bolted on it .so basically at the moment i,m running two 18mp cameras ,which although different give similar results at the same shutter speeds and iso values .hence my hankering after something different .
          the lad says i should go for the 70d as a brand new import is the same price as a s/h 1d3 ,but having got badly stung by the nikon d7100 i,m reluctant to take that path

Comment

I have a 7D and the 1D mkiii sounds like a cracker. I wonder if I could swap someone lol
            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
            www.campsie.photography

Comment

someone has contacted me and is lending me theres for a couple of weeks to trial it paul ,have no fear if its as good as i think you will know about it

Comment

I wish I could get one to try. Pretty much made my mind up that I'm switching. Too many folk that have done it say that they wouldn't go back.
                Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                www.campsie.photography

Comment

wait till i have appraised it for what we do paul ,as this is a loan camera my review won't be a case of i bought one so can't run it down hype .i will also endeavour to borrow or use my lads 70d during this period as the price of a s/h 1d3 and a imported new 70d are roughly the same .or it might be a case of the 7d is still the best choice .should have a fairly good feel for it by next week

Comment

Cool cheers, that'd be good. :)
                    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                    www.campsie.photography

Comment

As you mentioned, may well be worth waiting for the specs of the 7D Mk2 before making your decision.

Bill.
                      Last edited by Bill53; 21-11-2013, 23:56.
                      7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

had two days out with the loan 1dmk3 ,day one dull ,day two extremely bright ,results so far ,missing a bit of reach on small distant birds ,but in reality shouldn't have taken the shot ,at close range it just feels RIGHT ,not finding the 10mp a problem as the files are clean and process easily .yes i would like a even better camera but changing from the 7d to one of these will be a big enough expense .if anyones bothering to follow my flickr stream you will already know the results ,with every pic i process i get nearer to getting one .bit more time to find any downsides but i don't think i will heres a shot of a buzzard

attention !! by blackfox wildlife and nature imaging, on Flickr
                        Last edited by the black fox; 25-11-2013, 20:50.

Comment

You seem to be getting to grips with the 1D very well,Even though 10mp seems small in today's tec it does use everyone to produce clean and colorful images

Paul
                          EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                          Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

By my count there's 5 Canon 1D mkiii's on sale in the UK (online) from decent reputable stores. I don't discount Ebay most of the time, but when they can't even supply you with a serial number you can pretty much discount them from the equation.

I find that as soon as you start mentioning things like sub-mirror issues and serial numbers, they stop replying.

MPB Photographic and Mifsuds (cheers Jeff) have been able to help so far. However, their prices of the 1D mkiii range from £749 to £899. They want to give me £500-£520 for my 7D, and £110 for my 17-85 zoom lens.

I was quite keen on selling it as a bundle privately but there's been more tumbleweeds than interest in that department. Too close to Christmas I think for this sort of thing.

Problem is that I've made my mind up about getting rid of the 7D. I hate that. When I put my mind to something it rarely leaves me until it's a done deal. I don't want to rip myself off right enough in the process.
                            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                            www.campsie.photography

Comment

Been following this thread with interest, just for 'interest' what is it everyone finds so wrong with the 7D? I thought it was the go-to camera for wildlife?

Cheers Ian
                              EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

Working...
                              X