7d or 1Dmkiii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 7d or 1Dmkiii

got one lined up just waiting on selling the 7d first .the 7d is a super camera but i have dipped my toes in the water of a pro body and can't wait to dive in

Comment

i have dipped my toes in the water of a pro body and can't wait to dive in
      There lies the road to ruin.
      Colin

Comment

na not really colin ,got the 60d for the reach if needed ? and the 1d for everything else .if i won the lottery i would have the same gear as you but i don't think camerons 2.5% raise in pensions is gonna fund it .

Comment

if i won the lottery i would have the same gear as you
          Lovely thing the lottery .............. beats all that going without and scrimping and saving nonsense!
          Colin

Comment

I think the 6D/& 60Dor/70D combination is the best to possess-IMHO. I was never drawn to or interested in the 7D right from the start.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

For some reason the 7D has always been a marmite camera, since I purchased the 7d some 4 years ago, it has served me well, I upgraded from a 1DMKII, and the 7D was a huge improvement in most areas (except ruggedness/battery).

I've never owned a 1DMKIII, so can't comment on the differences, but I do have a Canon 1DS MKIII, and the only difference in focus/focus tracking between the 7D/1DS MKIII is that the 1DS MKIII is better in low light, in normal daylight, they are on par in my experience.
              Regarding high ISO (an issue that's been thrashed to death in most forums), I'm comfortable with the high ISO performance of the 7D, my recently posted image of Jack was shot at ISO 3200, and is a clean image.

Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
              Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

well my 7d is still for sale though the 1d3 deal has gone sour ,but it will give me time to re-evaluate ,the lad is going to let me have a couple of hours with his 70d with my lens on as we both want to test this combo set-up .and i might well go down that path instead .and the price on a 70d from HDEW has now dropped to £720 so virtually no price difference

Comment

My personal experience with the 7D could be different to others, but kind of sits next to most when they talk about it.

Images look better on the LCD than the computer.
                  Aggressive AA filter
                  You need to do lots of work in post to get the best out of the images
                  Unless you're exposure is perfect, you get noise over ISO400 (my experience)
                  Images fall apart very quickly in LR when processing. You end up dialling lots back.
                  AF has too many options and not one amazing one.

The last point is a hard one. By just saying "I can't get on with it" is pretty broad and meaningless, however, I can't explain why. I'll take a shot, look at the camera LCD and say "YES! nailed it" I'll then get back all excited to be met with a resounding "Aww right, hmmm" when I view it on the computer. I'll blame the AF, the lens, the high ISO or the focus hunting in lower light.

My point is that there was many people feeling the same, and it wasn't until I read more about it, that I realised that switching bodies might actually yield a better result. I don't doubt the 7D. It has an amazing track record. Just not in these hands.

Guys like Stan can get amazing shots out of it all day long. Teamspeed on POTN also true. There's many others that can use it to the best of it's ability, but I find I'd rather have the 1Dmkiii rugged files to work on, and the battery gripped body than keep the 7D and buy a battery grip.

Most people that switched didn't look back and I think I want to know how that feels.

hard to explain.
                  Paul, given all you have said about your experience with the 7D - I have just been looking through your flikr pages, you have some absolutely fantastic shots in there, particularly the birds and foxes - I can only imagine how good you would be if you had a camera you liked!
                  EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

my 7d now sold ,got my eye on a few possibles as well .totally no point in keeping a camera (read tool for a job) that you don't like to use .i will weigh up all options and might even consider going back down the nikon route if i can't find what i want .

Comment

Originally posted by celtex View Post
                      Paul, given all you have said about your experience with the 7D - I have just been looking through your flikr pages, you have some absolutely fantastic shots in there, particularly the birds and foxes - I can only imagine how good you would be if you had a camera you liked!
                      Really appreciate that :)

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                      my 7d now sold ,got my eye on a few possibles as well .totally no point in keeping a camera (read tool for a job) that you don't like to use .i will weigh up all options and might even consider going back down the nikon route if i can't find what i want .
                      Good luck Jeff. Keep us posted with what you go for. Did you get what you wanted for it?
                      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                      www.campsie.photography

Comment

yes i did paul ,just trying to find a replacement is proving tricky .one thing of interest did come up today though ,i popped the 400mm lens on the 60D which in all honesty i haven't bothered to do before ,and i was extremely surprised at how sharp the shots were straight out of the camera ,so its going to be a very good back up ,also considering how crap the weather was today

Comment

Hi Guys
                          I've followed this thread with interest having sold my 7D to replace with a 5D MK11 but now thinking of the 1D MK111, however reading up there appear to have been problems when released so your thoughts please on how to find one with all the updates and mirror problems corrected.
                          Thanks
                          Graham
                          Canon 100D, 18-135 IS STM, 50 1.8 STM, 220EX Flash.

Comment

Early to mid 1D MKIII's were Region fixed, later ones were factory modified.

In the UK, there was a free collect, upgrade and return by Canon UK and those cameras were subsequently called "Blue Spot" cameras. Sounds somewhat cloak and daggerish, but when checked/repaired, the technician painted a blue spot at the end of the battery chamber, with the battery removed. Those same cameras would have had a repair slip detailing the work done under the recall scheme and the two in combination would add "Comfort" to any subsequent sale and give some increase in value over those that didn't. I cannot imagine any owner not taking advantage of the scheme, especially as Canon added a further 1 year's warranty to the existing, for those cameras repaired.

There was a serial number by which previous ones required Regional re-call and later ones were factory upgraded, but I never noted what the number was. Mine was an early one and got the blue spot treatment.
                            Colin

Comment

the serial numbers of the bad batch were between 501001 and 546561 and rest assured after asking a few sellers about shutter fixes having been done etc ,there are a lot of very evasive sellers out there claiming its not needed ,never had a problem ,don't know etc one i told specifically there should be a blue dot in the battery compartment and again the reply ,well i've never had a problem with the a/f .
                              CAVEAT EMPTOR !!!!!

Comment

To be honest there is a lot of mkIII owners out there who have no idea about the problematic serial codes. Also there is evidence that some people with said models have never had issues with them. The issues are

Oil spots
                                Sub mirror frame issues
                                Af tracking on outer points in AI Servo just failing on certain points.

By in large the vast majority of weekend shooters who have a MKIII wouldn't even notice the AF issues and put it down to user error. I have heard horror stories about this camera that would be enough to put anyone off. However, the MKIII ownership thread and sample pic archive on POTN shows a totally different story, and people in their droves are still looking at owning one. It's finding them that's the problem. MINT condition ones tend to get snapped up privately between friends, and the rest are battered and bruised.

Experience speaks volumes for me, and of those who traded their 7D for a MKIII said they wouldn't look back and wish they had done it sooner. That could just well be pride in purchase talking. For all we know it could be the worst mistake ever, but the pictures tell another story and I think it's genuine enough to make the switch myself. My 7D could be going as early as this week If I'm willing to accept the £700 I've been offered for it.
                                Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                                www.campsie.photography

Comment

Working...
                                X