Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next Camera

Hi Folks,

I really need to start considering my next camera, so I am looking for peoples opinions on what to upgrade to next. I'll have about £1300 to spend on this upgrade, but to be honest, there are so many in the Canon range at the moment, its battering mah head in trying to chose, so I thought I would throw it out there to see what people would suggest.

One setup I did see, which came through on an email is the EOS 6D bundle below. Is that something worth thinking about?

Thought and feedback please folks.

Andrew
    Andy

EOS 6D | 16-35 F/4 | 24-105mm f4L | 50mm F1.8 | Canon 70-200 F2.8 MKII
    Flickr Page
    Facebook Page

Re: Next Camera

What do you photograph? That might have a baring on what to get

Comment

Andrew, that bundle you have shown is a very good starting point. The Canon 6D is a full frame camera and I have recently bought this and enjoying every minute of it. The other lenses-if they are also part of the bundle price, is very well worth the offer price.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by colintf View Post
        What do you photograph? That might have a baring on what to get
        Hi Colin,

The vast majority of what I photograph is landscapes or macro objects..Certainly landscapes is my passion..

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
        Andrew, that bundle you have shown is a very good starting point. The Canon 6D is a full frame camera and I have recently bought this and enjoying every minute of it. The other lenses-if they are also part of the bundle price, is very well worth the offer price.
        Hi Nat,

Yeah, I thought it was a nice bundle and comes with all the lens show..I was reading your thread on the 6D not so long ago, yes, I gathered you were impressed with it..

Cheers
        Andy

Flickr Page
        Facebook Page

Comment

sorry but i totally dis-agree with nathaniels view on it ,the 50mm lens is o.k but just a lens ,the 70-300 one is a waste of money and time ,the other bits will in all honesty never be used .
          you would be far better off sourcing a body only from a u.k dealer ,this one appears to be a grey import . i have no qualms about buying imports if there s/h as i know its my choice if they break down ,but on a new camera a u.k dealer every time for the warranty .i.e last year i had a nikon d7100 the first one lasted 4 weeks the replacement lasted 5 weeks hence my refund and change back to canon .would not have got a refund on a import .

Comment

Probably a lack of knowledge from me here, but, how can you tell its a grey import?

Many thanks
            Andy

Flickr Page
            Facebook Page

Comment

I owned that 75-300 lens and it was the worst lens I ever used. It's like putting really bad windows in your new 6 bedroom house on Loch Lomond. Yes you have a nice house but the view will not be nice lol. The 50mm lens I also have and I hardly use it. It's sharp as a tac but the auto focus motor is noisier than a pick up truck needing a service. My AF on mine totally gave up after I dropped it out my bag all of 8" high.

When you say 'next' camera what do you use now?

As far as your needs for the work you want to do, then I doubt many would disagree that the Canon EF 100mm 2.8 Macro is a great lens, the L lens is great and has IS, but true macro work tends to be done on a tripod so negates the need for IS. The cheaper lens is said to be every bit as sharp. There is the MP-65 from canon which gives a better magnification for very small objects. Ideally you're looking for a 1:1 ratio to start with macro.

Landscape lenses really can mean anything that has a wide end. Anything can be used as a landscape lens really in a funny way. However, loads use different lenses for that. Anything from 10mm to 70mm is the norm, for me anyway.

Try and buy UK or your locale at least. I used to buy all my stuff from Hong Kong and had real trouble trying to get rid of it again because there's a terrible stigma attached to imported goods. No one wants to touch it.

The 6D is a great camera. I wish I had one. However, I'd think about lenses first. Get the lenses to suit the work you want to do, then slip an affordable body into the remaining funds. For instance A 6D is great, however, a 5D MkII used will still do all that you need it to. That would free up money to get the right lens/lenses

Just a few thoughts on it from someone who did it all wrong to start with and is now playing catchup lol
              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
              www.campsie.photography

Comment

Hi Paulstw,

At the moment, I have an 1100D but I want to go better now. I should of just gone better from the get go to be honest...learnt from that one...

I am relatively new to photography but I know now that it is something I really want to delve deeper into, so, to do that, I need to get better kit really...

I have seen some used kit about, but, to be honest, I am always worried about it going wrong and being left in the shit with no warranty and then more money is needed to pay to get it repaired...
                Andy

Flickr Page
                Facebook Page

Comment

With a camera like the 6D you really need top quality glass. The 50mm f/1.8 is not bad but the f/1.4 is much better built, image quality bet er and it's faster. You should be looking at "L" glass as much as possible,although some of the non-L primes are upmto the job.
                  If you don't want to go to fullframe I would look at the 70D -(or some might point you towards the 7D) but that's a very debateable subject on its own!

Comment

With a camera like the 6D you really need top quality glass. The 50mm f/1.8 is not bad but the f/1.4 is much better built, image quality better and it's faster. You should be looking at "L" glass as much as possible,althoughsome of the non-L primes are up to the job.
                    If you don't want to go to fullframe I would look at the 70D -(or some might point you towards the 7D) but that's a very debateable subject on its own!

Comment

An 1100D, albeit the entry into canons, isn't bad. Understand though why you'd want to upgrade. The 1100D is what's called a crop sensor camera. That means that the image sensor that records the picture has been cropped 1.6x the size of a full frame camera like a 6D. The 6D will yield a 1.6X wider field of view. This is helpful for landscapes as the ability to record finer detail is much better with the 6D. Again it's going to come down to lens choices. The better the lens the better quality of light, contrast and colour the sensor can record.

At £1300 your options are limited with new gear. A Full frame camera like a 6D with a UK warranty is going to take most of that budget away with not much left for a good lens. It's the dilemma we as photographers face everytime we put ourselves through this upgrade process lol

A totally prize winning combination for landscapes would be the 6D with the 24-105L seen here on Flash Camera for £1,625. That's just to give you an idea. The Full Frame sensor camera really limits your options for lenses as you can only use EF mount lenses.

Your 1100D and other 1.6x crop cameras can use both EF and EF-S lenses. EF-S lenses can be very good value for money and the 17-55 2.8 is said to be one of the best. Put that on something like a 60D and you'll be laughing all the way.

It's not very cut and blow dry with this. There's loads of options and at the end of the day it's the budget that determines the outcome. The 6D on it's own from Flash Camera is about £1000 body only so that leaves you with £300 to decide what lens you want. There's not a lot of options for that price even second hand. Then you need to factor in accessories. Tripod, and a good sturdy one for both landscape and macro work. Remote triggers, possible lens filter purchase and stuff like that.

This shot was taken on a Canon 7D crop sensor camera and a Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 lens on a tripod.

Drove to the top of Loch Awe last night. It was one of those, lets just drive and see what we see. Instinct driven the whole way and I'm glad it did. Looked far more majestic in the flesh, however, a very long exposure was needed, and the Tokina wasn't playing ball on the focus due to the cold. Kilchurn Castle in the frame to give an idea how far I drove lol

It's certainly possible to pursue a very enjoyable experience in both macro and landscape photography with crop sensor cameras. However, Full Frame camera will give far more detail, dynamic range and pull in more light with the bigger pixels but at a price.
                      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                      www.campsie.photography

Comment

I would like to correct a misconception perhaps. My views on the lenses are the same as others who have given their points of view here. I was only looking at the bundle price of £1100 odd which included two lenses, which is good VFM considering that I bought the 6D, body only, for a similar sort of money. So you are on to a win win situation at the bundled price. Later on you can change your lenses to L glass. I hope I have made myself clear. Once again, please remember that the price of the 6D body alone is worth the bundled price.

My only note of WARNING is that I have not heard of that firm which e-mailed you, and the offer price appears to be on the low side. So caveat emptor is my WATCHWORD.
                        Last edited by Nathaniel; 14-01-2014, 13:07.
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Andrew,

What is it with the 1100D that you do not like? Yes it seems to be the entry level camera but looking at the quality of the two pictures you put in the welcoming thread, I would say you are getting some great pictures with it.

I also have an 1100D and keep looking on here thinking, I wish I could get an image like that one there with the 6D, and like this one here with the 5D Mk III. Is that what is making you think your camera isnt up to it?

I am no expert but when I saw your 2 pictures you posted, I had to read twice that you had got those with an 1100D.

I went in to my local camera shop and discussed quality of pictures with them and they recommended that I consider what lenses I use and if I would benefit with better "glass" than what I currently had. I have ended up at the moment changing my Sigma 70-300 to a Canon EF 70-300 USM IS - I discussed L lenses with them and they said that this lens would be close to the quality but where the L lens really kicks in is the sharpness at the edges of the frame, which on an APS C sensor you would not necessarily see the full benefit of so it depended on whether I wanted to spend out that much now or later.

They went on to say if its the features / higher ISO (less noise) / Full frame etc benefits that you are after then yes consider a camera change but that there is nothing wrong with an 1100D.

Just giving you some things to think over.

One thing I noted is that the package you have put on has only got the 50mm lens and nothing in the lower wider angle ranges which as Paul points out is better for landscapes. I dont think the current 18-55mm kit lens that comes with your 1100D will fit a full frame so you will need to look at costs of replacing that lens as well.
                          Andy
                          Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
                          EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
                          [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

One thing I would add though it that there's many different ways in which to achieve your goal. Many other will advise on different ways and there's no real absolute right way to do it.

A wee rule I stick to is that better lenses will come before a better body. A wee video can prove this, even if its been made by a crazy guy lol

Pro body with cheapo lens or Cheapo body with pro lens - Digital Rev TV
                            Which is more important the body of a DSLR or the Lens?[Playlist] http://bit.ly/vsBokeh[Subscribe]: http://bit.ly/DRTVSub—————————Pricing Reference:Canon 1D ...
                            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                            www.campsie.photography

Comment

Andrew

I would agree with most of what Paul advises but throw in a couple of cheap extension tubes (provided they communicate with the Canon camera for focusing - some don't) in order to use the 24-105L as a macro lens.

Always best to stretch the budget and not regret it later...

Sell the 1100D and lenses on ebay to close the gap?

Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X