Why Scott Kelby switched to Canon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why Scott Kelby switched to Canon

I do like Kelby's stuff but with me having limited time but wanting to learn everything as quickly as possible it frustrates me that it takes 12 minutes to tell you very little of value. If you take out the uninteresting waffle you have about a 90 second video there.

Its the same for his hour long specials. I do watch them sometimes when I find the time but I only find small bits of valuable info in amongst a lot of 'piffle'. It might be entertaining but I just want to cut to the chase and learn what I need to learn :)
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

Originally posted by Roberto View Post
      And is also, I think, the reason Andy Rouse went the other way.....
      And back, I think?
      Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Originally posted by Woolley View Post
        And back, I think?
        Oh, really? You may be right. I went to a couple of talks by him a few years ago (very good, BTW) and he was a dedicated Canon man. Then, went to Focus one year and boom - he's on the Nikon stand praising their cameras!!

Comment

Originally posted by Treff View Post
          I think you will find although the D1X is a great piece of equipment the number one reason Scott Kelby switched to Canon was money. The second reason was money and the third reason was money. They do not take prisoners in this business it's all about ackers and sponsorship deals. I like him, he writes some decent stuff but lets not kid ourselves. Cheers
          Mmmm.... I have to say the 1st thought that went through my mind reading the thread topic was..... Money but I'm just cynical

Comment

Having used both the D4 and 1DX the difference between them is not huge.
            Out of the camera jpegs from the 1DX are more contrasty and little brighter than the D4. Adding +1 to Nikons Standard setting and using the D Lighting on normal brings the two closer. D4 has a wider tonal range when set on standard and normal contrast
            1DX is about a stop better at high iso in terms of grain appearance, however whatever goes inside the cameras equates to about 2/3rds difference. Can confidently use 10000 on the 1DX against 6400 ISO on the Nikon

AF..Not a lot between them, Canon is a lot more complex in respect of choices, deciding which set works best is a bit of trial and error. Not ideal making changes on a job trying to find the best one to use.

Lenses are similar.. Can't fault the 300 IS II with converters, no real difference compared to using the Nikon 400 f2.8 . Mega plus though is the reduced weight. F2.8 zooms from both are all of similar quality. Canon wins with the IS
            Ergonomics are both good. Shutter release on the D4 is marginally more responsive.

Out of 10... Canon 9, Nikon 8.5

Suppose if someone gives you a load of gear to use at minimal cost there are going to be very few negative comments made.

Comment

I am sure he switched because he got the canon kit free.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

There seems to be a lot of discussion all over the place about this switch lol. I don't see what the fuss is about. When I started out I was originally going to get a Nikon D3100. I was about 3 days away from buying it. Had the money there, knew everything I needed to know about it, then my brother asked me to take pics of his band recording at the studio. I mentioned it to a work colleague who had just bought a 7D and 70-300L at the time so he let me borrow his 350D and Sigma 30mm 1.4.

I came back, totally u-turned on the Nikon and got a 600D. However, the point being that if for one second I felt I'd get better images and a better experience out of something else I'd just switch. It would be a hassle right enough. I do love Canon now, and I'm not surprised by Kelby doing that. A few Youtube guys have done the same with fanboys threatening them publicly for their crime.
                Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                www.campsie.photography

Comment

Horses for courses and all that, but when it's all said and done, a large discount or even free makes choices much easier lol

John

Comment

Working...
                  X