5D3 Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5D3 Owners

OK you 5D3 owners as the camera is highly customisable just wondered what changes you've made.

One common one seems to be the DOF button function changed to switch between single shot and AI-Servo and another is only use cross type AF points (means 41 instead of 61) and its thought to be more accurate.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Re: 5D3 Owners

I changed a couple of things but not much

Turned off AF on shutter release button
    Set to shoot RAW only
    Even just use it in single shot AF and move the points when needed, all 61 points.

It's like too much camera for my needs, but hey Canon like it that way :)
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Comment

Yep lots of options with lots of different settings.

Only RAW a defo, already have this on my 60D.

One other that seems to be popular is to change ISO by holding SET button and then moving the wheel near the shutter release. Looks useful as adjusting should be easy even with camera to your eye.
      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

Comment

Because I owned the 7D before, everything was just as it is on the 5D3. I already knew where everything was so I was pretty used to changing things on the fly. ISO button is easy cause it has the little dimple on it so I can find it relatively easily now.

Might be good to have it set up close to how the 60D is set up. Just don't like in the AF section lol. Crikey it's mental in there.
        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Mine arrives on Monday, was hoping for tomorrow so I could have a play over the weekend. Looks like a steep learning curve.

Getting the camera to how I like to work will take a bit of time. But its good to hear of some of the options that are not immediately obvious.

Comment

I'm the sort of person who sets my camera up before I go into anything. The dual button functions on top of the 5D3 are really helpful once you get used to it. Press a button and either the top dial changes something or the back dial does.

For instance, if I'm shooting static scenes, then see something cool that's moving, I'll hit the AF drive button (top lcd), switch the top dial to the left and the back dial to the right and I've gone from One shot focus and single shot, to AI Servo and High Continuous. Because the AF Drive button is left of the ISO button with the nipple on it, I can do it before the camera gets to my eye. It takes ages to get right, and only really do it if I'm feeling a bit hyper that day. Otherwise I just fire it into AI Servo and work that way.

The WB button is set for the conditions that day and hardly change it. The furthest right button is the LCD light so you only really use three. The WB changes are really just so the LCD jpg render looks ok and I know how it's going to look when I do some work on it, for colour accuracy.

One thing that might throw you is how you zoom into an image.

On every other camera I've have I'd hit the play button and then hit the + button to zoom in a few times to check critical focus. On the 5D3 you have a zoom button that zooms in a percentage. You then have to use the top dial to zoom in and out. Bit different to other cameras.

The other one that'll be new from the 60D is how you select your focus modes. Takes a while to get your head around it, and to this day I tend not to switch too much because I don't see any difference with any of them, however, you need to hit the furthest right back button and then hit M-fn next to the shutter release. pressing the m-fn button a few times cycles through the focus modes of the camera. It only cycles through the ones you have enabled in the menu system so if one is missing or you have too many then just enable and disable the ones you don't think you'll use to speed up the cycling.

I've used the HDR function a couple of times just for cracks and it's pretty good. Largely though I've been asked to stop doing HDR by my girlfriend. She thinks it's not how we see the world and I should give it a rest lol Something that came up on my PholioUK portfolio critique that I submitted last week.

All in all you're going to love the camera. It's what everyone should be using if they are finding their stuff isn't working for them. Any G.A.S I had before has been totally wiped out by getting this. I can't see me needing anything else.
            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
            www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
              Mine arrives on Monday, was hoping for tomorrow so I could have a play over the weekend. Looks like a steep learning curve.

Getting the camera to how I like to work will take a bit of time. But its good to hear of some of the options that are not immediately obvious.
              as a non 5D owner I hope you don't mind me asking - whats the plan for 60D ? - I've been considering upgrading from 7D to the 5D as I do find the nose levels poor on the 7D - but the second hand value of cameras isn't great and least for me living in Spain its a nightmare to try and sell - I suppose I trying to justify whats going to happen to the 7D

P.S Congrats on the new camera .....gutted ;o(
              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Going to be used as a second body. If I'll use it that much I'm not sure and maybe SHMBO will end up using it.

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
                  Going to be used as a second body. If I'll use it that much I'm not sure and maybe SHMBO will end up using it.
                  you have one of those partners as well ;o) I considered that option as well but I know the battle over who gets which lens would mean I would loose out - I may consider trying ebay and getting a friend to post it that speaks Spanish as its only 12mths old so a good camera for anyone either wanting to upgrade or start in photography ... sorry to railroad your thread
                  :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Paul - does the 5DmkIII do Raw processing to review Raw-only photographs or does it do what most cameras do and use the JPEG that's embedded in the Raw file (and usually in a pretty crunched down form)?

I usually shoot Raw+Large Fine JPEG so I have something of better quality to use for in-camera review as much as anything else. (I don't have a 5DmkIII though.)

Comment

I have the DOF button set to show levels - horizontal and vertical - in the view finder. Easier than messing about with the menu button.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJon View Post
                        Paul - does the 5DmkIII do Raw processing to review Raw-only photographs or does it do what most cameras do and use the JPEG that's embedded in the Raw file (and usually in a pretty crunched down form)?

I usually shoot Raw+Large Fine JPEG so I have something of better quality to use for in-camera review as much as anything else. (I don't have a 5DmkIII though.)
                        From my little experience I just assumed that whatever, picture style, WB setting and other was applied was what you seen on the LCD as a jg render from the RAW. I don't have anything to back up to the contrary.

One thing I will add. I hope the computer anyone is using for these 22MP files is quick enough because they are bloody huge lol I think I might need to upgrade the RAM on my MAC to 16Gb now.
                        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Sarawak View Post
                          I have the DOF button set to show levels - horizontal and vertical - in the view finder. Easier than messing about with the menu button.
                          I have the grid lines displayed in the view finder and use these for verticles and horizontals, saves pressing yet another button.
                          Still get it wrong though sometimes
                          David

Comment

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
                            I have the grid lines displayed in the view finder and use these for verticles and horizontals, saves pressing yet another button.
                            Still get it wrong though sometimes
                            Just set that myself. What a pretty awesome feature, cheers :)
                            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                            www.campsie.photography

Comment

I just set it up initially to do back button focus (http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resou..._article.shtml). Then learn (learning still) to adjust other menu and custom functions ... one at a time ... and see if it works for me.

Also http://cpn.canon-europe.com/files/ed...anuary2013.pdf
                              Last edited by MX5; 04-07-2014, 16:28.

Comment

Working...
                              X