Cheapy upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cheapy upgrade

Had a little play in the garden, nothing worth posting but just to look at the noise levels at different iso settings. For what I'm doing with it I think it'll be fine to use 1600 providing I don't over sharpen or require a very large crop or mahoosive print. For simple low res sharing among friends I think even 3200 is useable.
    Paul

Comment

Did know Wex did used stuff. They certainly seem to be quite good. Bit above MPB but I find MPB's pics a bit off. They have a 1DIV for £1700 which is quite good for the condition. Would be interested to find out how you find the 50d after the initial (it's quite good) wears off. Could be a practical alternative for me with a Tokina 11-16 for wide angle shots in crowds as a second body.
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Will keep you posted Paul, I plan on taking it to training on Sunday if we don't get rained off. I have purchased a lens and a body from Wex used, in separate transactions now. Both of them were better than I was expecting given their description. The lens was given an 8, and the body a 9- and I can't see a mark on either besides the usual line on the lens contacts and a tiny bit of strap rub around the eyes.
        Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
          I am sure the 50D will do your proud seeing how well Paulr5604 is doing with his 40D. It all boils down to the photographer. Know the limits of your camera and shoot within it's limits.
          Thank you for the compliment Nat. I'm actually thinking about getting another 40D as a backup to my current one. I do find with the 40D anything above ISO 800 you do get noticeable noise but I tend to use the "expose to the right" method if I have to push the ISO up high then reduce the exposure in post which eliminates quite a bit of the noise.
          1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
          Facebook
          www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

It shows Paulr that I am keeing my beady eyes on you! Like you, I am not one to spend money unnecessarily to get the photographic results I am looking for and what I have got now has been out of practical necessity; for instance for my frequent low light photogrphic requirements, without flash, the 6D has been the answer to my "prayers"!!
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Don't get me wrong Nat if I could justify it I would buy either the 5dmkiii or the 6d but a) I don't have that sort of money lying around and b) my wife and kids would spend it if I did.

At the moment I can actually say that I am happy with my current setup. It does everything I ask of it and the IQ is as good as I need it for the print sizes that I print at.

Flickr
              Facebook

Comment

I quite understand what you say Paulr and your family commitments (which has been mentioned before) must always come FIRST in my books. Very laudable. Having retired now, I have to watch my pennies as well knowing that I am not getting any younger and health bills are sure to rise as I keep on "walking about"!!!!!!! I should however,have said that I seriously considered buying a 40D for my crop purposes seeing your excellent results and was only put out by it's weight. I am happy with the weight of the 6D for my special needs but I did not want another heavy camera body and that is the main reason I went for the 100D for my crop camera needs.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I know what you mean Nat I have a battery grip on mine so it weighs quite a bit more but I'm a fairly big bloke so it doesn't bother me at the moment

Flickr
                  Facebook

Comment

Spent an hour or so with this on Sunday and I am really happy with it. I need to learn how to get the best from it under the demanding conditions that flyball poses, but the larger viewfinder and faster focus is an instant improvement. I have an indoor competition next Sunday, so it'll be interesting to see how it copes with the lower light. Certainly a good stepping stone for me.
                    Paul

Comment

Originally posted by planetc View Post
                      Spent an hour or so with this on Sunday and I am really happy with it. I need to learn how to get the best from it under the demanding conditions that flyball poses, but the larger viewfinder and faster focus is an instant improvement. I have an indoor competition next Sunday, so it'll be interesting to see how it copes with the lower light. Certainly a good stepping stone for me.
                      Glad you are getting on with it. Any photos from Sunday to share?

Flickr
                      Facebook

Comment

In the sports section, titled Flyball training
                        Paul

Comment

Grip arrived this morning, the body now fits my hands much better. The downside is that the wife will spot it now, where she didn't twig before, lol. It's massive!
                          Paul

Comment

Originally posted by planetc View Post
                            Grip arrived this morning, the body now fits my hands much better. The downside is that the wife will spot it now, where she didn't twig before, lol. It's massive!
                            I got the grip for the 40d makes it so much more comfortable

Flickr
                            Facebook

Comment

I always had a grip on the 350d too. I have really big hands and my fingers are falling off the bottom without one.
                              Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X