Canon 100D- bit too small

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canon 100D- bit too small

Thanks Kelly and Andy. I do use my long lens as per Andy's comment- left hand on the lens,supporting it's weight, and right hand on the controls.
    It is the "torque" aspect which appears to be the problem, but I was not at all keen on buying another crop larger body DSLR for wild life shooting.I have no regrets at all about buying the 100D which I enjoy using as a light weight camera. I am now able to carry two camera bodies in my holdall for concerts and special assigments in churches and elsewhere- the 6D and 100D whereas in the past I only had the 6D and often wondered what I'd do if the 6D manfunctioned during an important assignment. The fact I have 2 (DSLR) camera bodies with me is a great,mental,comfort to me.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I think Andy's suggestion with the grip strap would actually help a lot.
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

if you have a tripod mount on your lens nat ,i have a pistol grip you could attach to it to see if that helps .the other choice is a battery grip to balance the weight .or indeed a lighter lens with equal reach.

looking at it from an entirely different angle why not just go for something like the new canon SH60 with its incredible zoom range .lightweight ,long zoom .and decent quality
        Last edited by the black fox; 10-10-2014, 13:17.

Comment

Many thanks for all your comments. This thread has actually opened my mind to two things (i) whether my operational techniques are correct & if correct (ii) I think a hand grip will be the best solution- without adding any weight. I have not considered a larger crop DSLR at all as it would defeat the whole pupose of my buying the 100D- it's lightness. Thanks Jeff for the offer of a pistol grip; the camera has got a tripod socket.
          I will let you know my final decision and what I done. Once again my sincere thanks to all the good members for their comments and advice, which is much appreciated, as always.
          Last edited by Nathaniel; 10-10-2014, 14:22.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

i,ll try to sort out a meet up in the week nat ,try this grip as it might just be what you need .my personal thoughts are along the lines of its a nose heavy rig though .perhaps you would like to come to the secret valley with me and maybe ashley (depends on his work ) i/we can show you a different way of doing things where the weight won't be a problem .
            its a pity i haven't still got it but a while back i bought a special rig from the U.S.A that actually held the camera and lens in front of you on a four strap harness ,i found it to small for me but would have been perfect for you

there ya go found one in germany bit pricey though e/bay item 111305509620 ,best to do a google on LENSMASTER LENS CRADLE as you might find it stateside cheaper and can also see what it does
            Last edited by the black fox; 11-10-2014, 17:58.

Comment

Thanks Jeff. After I posted this thread,and having read James's "me and my camera" in the current EOS magazine, I was really pumped up after reading his health problem & how he has overcome it, and went out to try holding the camera and lens with my left hand, more towards the lens end,and found that the torque problem was more or less non existent. It would appear that the technique of holding the camera and lens in this instance could be the answer. i will know how I feel once I try a proper field test. So wait for it!

Comment

Pumped up eh Nat ..lol .. Sorry .
                [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Working...
                X