Thinking about the dark side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thinking about the dark side

Paul having trodden the path of nikon ,this is my view ,there cameras in general are better but not as reliable unless you go for a d810 which does seem good so far ,nothing worse than stuff breaking down on a job ,on the d200 and d300s I had both had to have all the grips renewed as they simply fell off ,the d7000 would change settings as you walked about ,and the d7100 I had two bodies go tits up on me before I changed back to canon ,the other down side is there lenses ,heavier ,read very heavy. And more expensive than canons .
    If you can afford brand new top range gear there's nothing between either brand ,but your talking old gear here so take care ,if I was in your shoes I would go for another 1d3 or 4 as back up for speed and reliability

Comment

Paul,

watch this: Why I want to switch to Nikon but can't fully

Watch the updated version here: https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=Hmne4lMa8PcSUBSCRIBE and like http://fb.com/NorthrupPhotographyBuy the #1 book with...
      EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

Cheers Ian, I did watch that a couple of weeks ago. It was pretty cool.

The reasons he has are a wee bit different to mine, but it's a good rundown. My good lady knocked some sense into me last night, and just reminded me of how far I've come in the little time I've been doing it. I guess I run away with things a wee bit.

Stay focussed, stick to the plan and all will be good lol
        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Strictly Canon's sensors are great, it's the digitising the data off-sensor that screws the low-ISO performance, however as a photographer you don't care as you have to use it as it is.

One thing that is happening now, due to the big fall-off in DSLR sales, is old models are still being sold new and can be had for bargain prices. That makes the current models, who may only have teeny improvements (unless some feature that's been added is critical to your needs) look like very bad deals indeed. Nikon seem worse at inventory management, hence you can buy:
          D3100 £199
          D3200 £249
          D3300 £349
          and
          D5100 £299
          D5200 £419
          D5300 £504
          All new from dealers. Actually some prices for old models have gone up, I had a friend buy a D5100 with VR kit lens and a free bag for her daughter and it came out at £300 with free delivery (from Calumet BTW). That's a heck of a lot of sensor for the money and should last her for many years. (That was some time after the D5200 launch and I think they had more than they liked and tried to just get them sold.)

Comment

The Camera you have is more than capable of doing the job very easily, maybe inside your head you could do a better job with a different camera but in sports its all about predicting what's going to happen and being ready, 10/12fps might cover the cracks in your ability but you'll end up with loads to delete.

I would look more at getting the right lenses 24-70mm/70-200mm/300mm and get that though out of your head the 5d is to slow it can think and shot a lot faster than you can.

The following shot was taken with the 5D mkIII + 400mm/ Or was it with a 1Dx who really cares it wouldn't make no difference its all in the timing and prediction rather than shooting at 6fps / 12fps or whether shutter lag is 2 millions of a second slower than the next model.

DPP_1369 by Paullinton99, on Flickr

Good luck in what ever you decide.

Paul
            EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
            Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I see what you're saying Paul. I have kind of started to do that now. Just shoot less, and anticipate. Comes with going to these things more and more. I have started to learn that there's a strange pattern to football. I've been told what doesn't sell and what does so that narrows it down.

I have no choice but to stick with what I have. 5D3 prices have dropped like a stone in the last month and I'm not that excited about losing £500 on a camera body.

Shooting Albion Rovers v Clyde at the weekend so we'll see.
              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
              www.campsie.photography

Comment

Shooting Albion Rovers v Clyde at the weekend so we'll see.
                Clear your mind of everything you're worrying about ( that being your gear)and just stay focused, if you're ready the shots will come regardless what gear you're using have a great time.
                I'm so jealous i think I'm moving to Scotland lol.

Paul
                EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I should shoosh really. Not many get this opportunity I guess. I just want a 70-200 2.8, I don't care what one at the moment.
                  Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                  www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
                    I should shoosh really. Not many get this opportunity I guess. I just want a 70-200 2.8, I don't care what one at the moment.
                    What's the big deal with the 70-200? Reason I ask is that most of the pros I see at rugby games - either Exeter on London Irish - are using long primes, I guess 500mm or 600mm. There is a shorter zoom on hand but the long lenses are definitely on show.

Having said that, I took these on a 70-200mm f4 with x1.4 tc so who knows...

IMG_0246 by andymulhearn, on Flickr

IMG_0152 by andymulhearn, on Flickr
                    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Having said that, I took these on a 70-200mm f4 with x1.4 tc so who knows...
                      yeah but you've got the crop factor as well Andy so well over the 400 mark

I would have thought any sports photographer would be looking at 400 plus primes
                      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                        yeah but you've got the crop factor as well Andy so well over the 400 mark
                        Yep, which is another reason why I'm sort of confused that Paul's keen on another 70-200 without the tc and crop factor

I would have thought any sports photographer would be looking at 400 plus primes
                        Yep, me too. But Paul's doing good work with a much shorter lens
                        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I can get away with a short tele, 70-200 when the action comes into the half I'm at. I want a 2.8 because it's getting really dark towards the second half of the games so I need the larger aperture. I want a long prime but at 5-7000 pounds, theres just no way that's going to happen. I'm not selling sports images at the moment so no income from that.

Every pro at these games are using a long 2.8 prime on a monopod. They also have a 70-200 2.8 on another body for quick access. I need to at least compete when they are on their 1DIV and 70-200 2.8.

Fast shutters and snappy focus is key and that's what I'm after.
                          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Thanks Paul, that's pretty much what I see at the weekend - big white lenses on monopods and second bodies with mid-range zooms. The entry point is bloody high isn't it

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
                              Thanks Paul, that's pretty much what I see at the weekend - big white lenses on monopods and second bodies with mid-range zooms. The entry point is bloody high isn't it
                              It tears me apart. Like the guy I work with says though. Just cause you have a 400 2.8 doesn't mean you'll sell images with it. He says he's sold more images of celebrations with his 70-200 than his 300 2.8. He sells more portraits of players with hands on heads or shouting at someone with his long lens.

I'd say that was valuable intel lol
                              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                              www.campsie.photography

Comment

Working...
                              X