Focus points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Focus points

I've often wondered why so much attention is given to how many focus points a camera has ...

I see reviews bemoan the fact that for example the 6D has 'only' 9 & just the central point is cross-type.

I've got a 350D (7 points,), 40D (9 points all cross-type) & 100D (9 points, central cross-type) & on all of them the first thing I did was set the camera to just the central point.

I can then focus & recompose (metering set to CW so that it adapts when I recompose).

I find this much easier than messing about to select a particular point or letting the camera decide. Maybe it's a throwback to the film days of manual focus using the central split prism?

Anyone else do the same?
    Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Re: Focus points

Exactly what I do. I never managed to change focus points fast enough otherwise. Apart from when used the old eye controlled focus on the 50e
    Paul

Comment

the reason for the extra focus points come into play when shooting action and you need a camera to track multiple subjects - if your shooting landscapes / portraits then yes I agree who does need any more than just a few center points
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Any idea how the camera handles the tracking across points? Just wondering if it would help me now.
        Paul

Comment

Just read through this, which was interesting http://www.shutterfreaks.com/Tips/CanonAIServo.html
          Paul

Comment

about sums it up well and using BBF will help the camera track, focus lock and hopefully get a sharp image - this is one of the reasons higher spec cameras have more focus points.. One day I'll work out how to set my cameras zones out, but thankfully most of the time I'm just taking landscapes

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Actually, reading through it made me wish I had a 1 series, lol
              Paul

Comment

Originally posted by planetc View Post
                Actually, reading through it made me wish I had a 1 series, lol
                LOL ... just got a 5Dmk iii and thinking if only I had another 10k

Comment

having got a meagre 1D3 there is no way i could go back to one of the normal bodies ,its not because its high tech ,mines old and only 10mp but it does the job and is intuitive in my hands ,you can almost pick it up aim and fire and get a good shot .i have a much more modern 60d as well but rarely use it and i may even be aquiring a 70d if my lad gets a 7d2 .but the 1D3 is my main body .weird or what its like a favourite pair of shoes you just have to keep wearing cause there comfortable

Comment

Working...
                  X