Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 5D2 and 7D Locking Mode Dial

I do that as well.

At the end of shooting, always re-set to defaults. They may not be the prefect settings for a grab shot, but they won't be far off and if I get the time for a second shot, I can change the settings.

Back to the plot, I have never had a camera setting move, but I have on my 70 - 200mm f2.8 L IS. Sometimes when I am shooting it won't focus. It still happens even now, but I am now aware that it is me moving the lens focus button from Auto to Manual. First couple of times it happened there was a minor panic, but now it's just a "I've done it again" and move the switch back to where it should be.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

... or the focus limiter set at the 'wrong' setting. Pity the top of the viewfinder doesn't give lens information.

But I assume Canon must have had lots of people asking for this fix ... seems unlikley they will have done it at a whim? Who knows ;-)

Comment

UK photographers who would like this update can contact the Canon Service Centre at Elstree to book a suitable modification date - call 0844 369 0100 (select Option 2 to go through to the Admin Team). A while-you-wait service is not available.

Canon Elstree will be charging:
        EOS 5D Mark II £69.31 + VAT
        EOS 7D £74.98 + VAT
        Both these prices include a £5 delivery charge which can be removed if the photographer collects their camera in person.
        Last edited by Robert Scott; 10-12-2010, 18:38. Reason: Prices were amended 10 December 2010
        Robert
        robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Thanks for that Robert.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn View Post
            Not something I remember happening to me so no upgrade here
            Me neither, is it a common problem on the 7D 5D mk2 ?
            If it is, then why don't they do a recall and free repair ?

Trev

Comment

Has never happened to me either. I notice however that the 60d has a locking mode dial fitted as standard. Personally, I prefer a non locking mode dial.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I'm surprised so few people have had this problem, it occurs to me far too often. I always thought the mode dial on the 5D II was the cheapest-feeling part of the camera, but it's been reliable enough - what tends to happen I think is that it gets moved putting it in or taking it out of my bag. Very annoying when you end up on CA or Tv (instead of P, where I normally try to leave it, or Av, my favourite mode). The 7D isn't quite so bad, but it still happens. I guess Canon have been worried about the problems with the old EOS 5 mode dial, so chose to leave the lock off - personally, I much prefer having it, but I'm far too mean to pay for this change.
                Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Having moved from an EOS5 to 60D I've always had a locking-dial and really wouldn't be without it and wonder why it's not on all the line-up!
                  Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Used to happen to me constantly when I had the 7D - bugged me!!

Comment

Still happens to me. Drives me mad.
                      Not got round to converting though.

Comment

I agree it is an expensive solution to a non-problem. In fact, I wondered if Canon were going to have a chargeable option to remove it from my new 6D!

Gary
                        www.garywhite-photography.com
                        Gary White, MPhil
                        Travel Photographer

Comment

This happens quite often with me, probably when taking in and out of the padded camera bag. After the first few times, you get into the habit of checking before shooting, which is a good thing anyway as there are often other changes which I have made and never reset, eg ISO. Its probably better to save your money and get into the habit of always checking first.

Comment

Working...
                          X