Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Noise

Not sure I go with that. 800 what's? Considering it's just re-using a numbering system that was designed for something else, you could just as easily call it 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x or maybe 1, 2, 4, 8 if you insist on keeping the reciprocal. I'd guess in digital terms, 100 - 200 means twice as much light and twice as much noise subject to what the internal software can deal with.
    No probs,

I’m thinking of ISO in terms of numbers of "light gathering entities" eg ISO 800 = 800 light gathering entities.
    Going from ISO 100 – 800 gains you 3 stops of light because you’ve made your sensor more sensitive to light, yet you have to go from 800-1600 for just one stop?
    Looking at the arithmetic makes me think it’s a "bad deal" an increase of 800 for one stop, nothing more scientific than that. There must be someone who knows for sure.

The main point I’m trying to make is it’s worth a try with ISO 1000 rather the 1600, because it works on my camera and it might on yours.
    Trev

Comment

Re: Noise

Hi Mark,
      I did some trials a while ago with hi ISO and discussed the results on the forum...the outcome was that to overexpose at hi-ISO and then correcting at post processing produces less noise, because the light to noise ratio is higher if you overexpose.
      Tricky in changing light, but ok if in constant overcast conditions.
      This was on a 50D but should be the same principle on any camera.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Working...
      X