7D RAW Soft focus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 7D RAW Soft focus

It does not look as if this is going to be solved, as I said I have had this camera from 3 months after the 7D was bought out, I have tried everything from micro adjustments to trying other lenses opening and converting in Canons DPP and Photoshop elements 9. In my 60d there is no problem. My brother has just bought a 7D so I am getting him to do some comparisons between full and MRAW, see what happens..

Comment

I too have been having soft focus problems on my 7D.ever since I bought it about two years ago.
      Hopefully you haven't left it too long to have anything done under warranty, if it is required. I hope you get it solved.

Meanwhile; welcome to the forum, hope to see some of your pictures soon.

Trev

Comment

I too have noticed issues with soft raw files so I've changed my style slightly. I don't have an IS lens, just the 70-200 2.8 but I was underestimating the effect camera shake can have even at fast shutter speeds, I'm using a monopod now and the pics have improved.
        Mike

Canon 1D MKIV, Canon 7D, Canon EF300 F2.8, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk II, Canon 17-55 IS, Canon EF100 F2.8, Canon 1.4 TC MKIII, 580 ex flashgun - yongnuo yn-565ex

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

Dont forget the guildlines for the shutter speed for a 200mm lens would be the same on a 1.6 as a 320mm. So I would suggest go for 1/400 or faster
          ef-r

Comment

Good point Brian, I often forget the 1.6 factor
            Mike

Canon 1D MKIV, Canon 7D, Canon EF300 F2.8, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk II, Canon 17-55 IS, Canon EF100 F2.8, Canon 1.4 TC MKIII, 580 ex flashgun - yongnuo yn-565ex

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

I'll retell my story ... when the 7D came out I got and immediately tinkered with the focus settings in the custom functions to what I thought was right (yes, I tinker and yes, I don't RTFM, but I did have a 40D which I am familiar with). The results were soft and/or out of focus. Before blaming the equipment (and having read about 7D issues) I did a hard reset and with mainly just defaults (I can't recall if RAW is default but that was set, same with a neutral picture style) set I went about testing. I placed camera on a decent tripod and set up a target (actually a test chart from a photo magazine). Both camera and target were aligned using a spirit level. I then used a remote release, IS off, f/4 and left the camera to work out focus and shutter speed. Results were very good ... but typical of RAW images a bit flat, subdued and a bit blunt (not sharp!). Viewing with various RAW aware tools gives a different rendering (ACR, DPP, MS Codec, etc) ... as though some additional processing is being done. Ultimately after a bit of levels and sharpening I upload to Flickr and the images take on a character all of their own. So the whole chain is complex.

Well that's my take on things ... may not be same for others who are much for methodical than me.

Comment

Working...
              X