Guidance towards the Final decision between 60D and 7D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guidance towards the Final decision between 60D and 7D

I have finally made the decision to buy a new DSLR (currently have a 10D and a G11) and hover between the 60D or the 7D.
    I do not have any particular speciality and will photograph anything and/or everything.
    I've seen comments stating the 60D is good for portraits and Landscape while the the 7D is good for sport and action but am in a quandary as to which will be the best overall to cover all contingencies.
    I'd really appreciate some comments or pointers as to which would be the best 'general duty' camera.
    I'm aware of the difference in price and want to arrive at my decision without referring to the price although I cannot stretch to any of the full frame models.
    I appreciate some will say, use the difference in price to buy a good lens but I intend doing that anyway and really want to establish which of the two cameras will serve me best.
    HELP????
    John

Re: Guidance towards the Final decision between 60D and 7D

Firstly I'd use Canon's own compare facility -- EOS 60D vs 7D and score them.

The 7D will do portraits and landscape ... its just it's a faster camera so lends itself to action. The sensor is very similar (if not the very same one). The 7D will work okay straight out the box ... as with any advanced thing with lots of options take care you understand what each does and how they potentially interact.

Find a decent camera shop that will let you have a play!

Comment

Hello John

I've just bought a 60D as an upgrade to my trusty old 400D and the difference is very significant. I'm a hobby photographer and would say that based on my experience of the 60D so far, (less than a week!), I reckon it's going to do everything I need or will want to do for the foreseable future. When I was researching what to go for I came to the conclusion that the only major difference between the 60D and 7D is that the latter has twin processors and can therefore achieve a higher burst rate. I don't do a lot of action photography so this wasn't necessary for me and the cash I saved was put towards getting a 24-105L lense, which I figured was the better investment. The combination of this lense and the 60D is brilliant.

I'm in agreement with MX5 about finding a decent camera shop. When I tried the two I found the 7D bigger and heavier than the 60D. I've got pretty small hands and the weight of your chosen body / lense combination will be a factor if you're going to be out and about for hours on end. If you haven't already got hold of the two bodies in question I strongly recommend you do so as this may turn out to be more important than the technical specifications.

Hope this will be of some help - Rob

Comment

It's quite a difficult decision and I agonised over the same for weeks. In the end the choice came down to a few fairly simple things - the ones I can remember:

Focusing options on the 7D were better.
        100% viewfinder
        Didn't think I needed the flippy screen.
        Better frame rate

I actually downloaded the Canon compare list into a spreadsheet and marked off each of the differences with whether it mattered to me or not and deleted everything that was the same on both. There were sufficient ticks on the 7D to justify the extra cost. I'm happy I made the right decision for me, but it was very close.
        Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

When I was in North America recently I had the choice of buying either the 60d or the 7d much more cheaply than in UK or Europe for that matter. I chose the 60d as it was far lighter than then 7d and smaller. I also found that I was more familiar with the controls on the 60d as it was like my 600d with a few extra facilities thrown in. Additionally the vari angle LCD screen was the clincher as I was getting interested in photographing buildings such as insides of churches, as well as it's outside. I have no regrets. Fortunately we all have a choice and we can choose what we like. I would certainly recommend anyone with a 60d to buy the magic lantern guide (Amazon) which comes with 2 DVDs which explains vividly all the controls and beyond.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Another good guilds for the 60D

David Buschs Compact Field Guide for the Canon EOS 60D.

Canon EOS 60D For Dummies.

Canon EOS 60D From Snapshots to Great Shots by Nicole S. Young
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelkphotowork/

Comment

Thanks guys; I seem to have MX5 and Woolley for the 7D with Rob Berry and Nathaniel for the 60D, plus some book recommendations on the 60D from CanonEOS.
              So 2 all so far and no further foward.
              Oh decisions decisions!
              John

Comment

But what sort of stuff will you photograph with it? Also how fussy are you about the weight?
                A friend got a 60D and I was more impressed than I expected to be. The 7D is great, but big and heavy.
                I'm sitting on the fence for now, so 2.5 each?
                John

Comment

Originally posted by Texas View Post
                  Thanks guys; I seem to have MX5 and Woolley for the 7D
                  I'd have no hesitation in recommending either, just pointing out the way I arrived at what I think is the right choice for me. It could so easily have gone the other way. If you can get hands on experience with both, then do, because it may well come down to which one feels right. A friend of mine already had a 7D so I'd been fortunate enough to have a brief play with it.
                  Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

I have the 7.

Its a great piece of kit and certainly exposes my weaknesses! I believe the criticism it receives is unfair; it's sophisticated and versatile, and you need to spend time learning about it to get the best from it. See my other posts with links to videos about the 7D and general videos regarding the Canon focusing system. I say versatile because I have do not have a specific genre I photograph and it has performed well enough for all my needs whether thats portraits, landscapes or sport.

Originally posted by Woolley View Post
                    Focusing options on the 7D were better.
                    100% viewfinder
                    Didn't think I needed the flippy screen.
                    Better frame rate

I agree with woolley and add more cross-hair focusing points and weather proofing. However, if the 7D Mk2 has a flip screen I'd love to have it.

But its your choice :)
                    Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
                    EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

Flip -out screen; fast burst rate, - neither really matter to me. Just bear (or is that "bare?") in mind, the 7D body is even 10 grms heavier than the 5D Mk II body. It would be a size / weight issue for me. So count my vote for the 60D. but, ultimately, it's your money, your choice.

Comment

If you have money to burn buy the 7d hands down its better, but then it demands good glass and isn't an easy beginners camera.

My advice is buy the 60 its easy to use and versatile, unless you need pro features and can use manual modes the 7d isnt worth the extra, especially if your starting out
                        Last edited by gibsonk; 16-01-2012, 20:22.
                        EOS 7D, Canon 24-105 EF , Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM OS, 430EX II , Canon 17-55 2.8

Comment

I loved my 7D to bits but if you don't need 8fps or the best non-1D AF then save the money and get the 60D
                          Mark

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV, Canon EOS 7D, Canon EF 17-40mm L, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 IS L, Canon EF 70-200mm f4 IS L, Canon EF 500mm f4 IS L, Canon EF 1.4x Extender II, Canon EF 2.0x Extender III, Canon Speedlite 430EX II, Canon Speedlite 420EX
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/markgsm...956203/detail/
                          http://www.marksmithphotography.net/

Comment

I got a treat just after Christmas... a 60D (second hand admittedly ..but in excellent nick) I was a bit worried at first, but it's easy to use straight from the box whilst allowing me to be more creative should I so wish. As a noobie the 7D was just a step too far for me.
                            “Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph” – Andre Kertesz
                            http://smphotography.foliopic.com/

Comment

I also had one for Christmas and totally agree with Mazzie's comments.

Comment

Working...
                              X