Re: YONGNUO ST-E2 Speedlite Transmitter

Hi Tom, anymore update on this?
    Raj
    Raj
    Flickr

Comment

YONGNUO ST-E2 Speedlite Transmitter

Hi Raj,

Got them unpacked and sitting on the table ready to test. Just been busy with the EOS M

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom, i am lokking forward to your opinion, as i am thinking of getting one for this christmas
        Raj
        Flickr

Comment

I have the YN-ST-E2 and its one of my favourite toys. By all accounts, its better even than the Canon original. For the price, I strongly recommend anyone to add this to their kit.
          Andy

Comment

Sorry to butt in here. But can I ask a REALLY noobish question. I asume these triggers are beneficial for those cameras that don't have wireless capability. So for example not needed with a 60D, but needed for a 5DMK2. Sorry if that's a silly question. I've been reading up as I have just bought a flash and using with 60D. But as I am hoping to invest in another camera soon, I just wanted to be sure from all you experts out there.
            “Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph” – Andre Kertesz
            http://smphotography.foliopic.com/

Comment

Mazzie, I'm no expert and don't have a 60D so don't know the wireless capabilities of the built in flash. However, I am aware that many others have suggested that its a flaw or oversight of the 5D series that it doesn't have a similar feature built in (ditto GPS).

However, the ST-E2 (Canon or YN) can trigger 3 groups of flashes each at different settings with wireless ETTL and reach to about 100m if I recall correctly, and although I will rarely if ever need all of these features, for about $100, I'm glad that I can if and when I ever need to and if that adds something extra to your setup that's worth $100 to you, I personally recommend that you go for it.

For sure, one of the main reasons for going wireless flash is that you don't always want a flash on top of our camera, so unless you can turn the built in 60D flash off whilst preserving the wireless feature, that in itself might be a reason for upgrading.

The radio Yongnuo setup can reach round corners and even greater distances - not something I need but pretty neat and at a price a whole lot more affordable than, say, the pocket wizards.

Andy

Comment

Thanks Andy. That's what I thought. I use off camera flash quite a bit with 60D (I only have the one flash atm) and if I venture down the 5D MK2 route then I'm going to need some triggers. And these Yongnuo ones look quite neat.

Comment

Andy, do you have any experience with the new YN-622c trigger
                  Raj
                  Raj
                  Flickr

Comment

Both the Canon ste2 & YONGNUO ST-E2 rely on Infra Red, best go with radio.
                    If it was a choice between the above I'd go with the Canon.

Sorry Andy, I didn't see your post when replying.

Trev
                    Last edited by Trevoreast; 22-11-2012, 15:24.

Comment

Thanks Trevor. I know you use flash quite extensively and have been impressed with many of your shots. I appreciate there will be a cost difference (but xmas isn't far away and I've been good :) ) but a RF Canon would be the best route you think? I have tried to PM you without success, so posting here. Sorry to highjack the thread.

Comment

All right. I just tested the YN-622C using a 5DMKII and the Canon Speedlite 580EX.

I bought these units strictly for using outdoors in bright Sunlight. So I was looking for using E-TTL using hi-speed sync.

The 580 EX (note not the 580 EX II) settings
                        ETTL Zoom Auto.

Camera Settings were
                        Shutter Speed 320
                        Flash Mode: E-TTL II
                        Shutter Sync: Hi-Speed

THe Lens was the 24-105

When I zoom the Lens from 20-105 the flash zooms from 24-105

When I take the picture the scene is lit by the flash, no signs of the shutter curtain.

So it appears to work with the 580 EX very well. When I get outdoors I'll show you some pictures using this setup. But I'm pleased that it seems to be working.

Tom

Comment

Hi Tom I think your test results and thoughts on the YN-622C deserve a new thread ?
                          Because of the title of this one.
                          Trev

Comment

My internet connection is very slow and erratic today.

Mazzie,There’s a few options for ettl Radio at the minute - all with pros and cons and compatibility issues.

Choice will be influence by your expected usage and budget etc.

Trev

Comment

Trev, Well at last my 5DMK2 has arrived and been playing quite a bit.
                              But really want to do some more flash photography. I prefer portraits various styles. So at the moment I have a 430EXII use a lot with wireless function and 60D. So I want to expand on this with my new camera. I want to be able to use flash alone and continuous light should I need to. I want to be able to have a flash fire through a glass door for example to side light the subject (it makes sense in my head ... honest :) ) I don't want to be restricted to line of sight if possible. I don't want to buy something beacuse it's cheap and then in 6 months as I develop wish I'd gone for something different. Can you recommend some that I can go read about? Been trawling internet and reading this and that. Would be nice to hear what others think.

Sandra

Comment

OK Mazzie from what you’ve said radio will work best. :-)

Do you just want to get your 430exMk2 working off camera with your 5Dmk2 ?

The broad choice is between 'manual only' radio triggers or ettl radio triggers.

You can get cheap ‘manual only’ radio triggers with no back of the camera control from £30 that will do the job, or more expensive manual radio triggers with no camera control like pocket wizard 3, there are options in between.

Whatever ‘manual only’ option you choose you’d have to adjust the flash power at the flashgun, inconvenient if the flashguns are outside, or up high, or in a softbox.

If you want all, or most of the capabilities you had with your 60D and 430Mk2 you would have to get ettl radio triggers, again there are options.

STE 3 canon ettl radio. Only works with 600ex RT flashguns however you don’t need to spend cash on a receiver as it’s built into the 600ex RT. In their wisdom canon have decided that for full back of the camera control with an ste3 you need 5D Mk3 or 1 DX.

I would take a punt on those YN-622C at £60 if you get a year or tws fun out of them what have you really lost ?

Trev
                                Last edited by Trevoreast; 23-11-2012, 12:59.

Comment

Working...
                                X