canon 24-105 f4 L IS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: canon 24-105 f4 L IS

An obvious question is full-frame or crop camera, as the answer on what is a good portrait lens can vary...

BTW I thought this review had some interesting comparisons between a cheap prime (which I have) and the 24-105 (which I also have):

But if people are moving around zooms can be handy (although with cameras having 18+MP cropping to zoom works pretty well too).

Two things on portraits, one is you probably aren't super-fussy about spending big bucks on a lens that's sharp all the way to the corners wide-open, as you probably don't want them that sharp and secondly you may well care almost as much about how nice the out-of-focus stuff looks as much as how sharp it is in the centre.

Make that three things...
    Ah, except the search tools won't get me back to my old post about focal lengths for portraits and how the human brain perceives them. Short version is 80mm and up in 35mm terms is good.

Err, since I missed that last one and while I'm at it I'll throw this one in too:

(Warning - slightly rude, but lots of quite fun analysis and good points on flash and depth-of-field.)

Without other constraints I'd use (on FF) the 85/1.2 mkII followed by the 70-200 f2.8 mk II since I can stop the former down as much (or not) as I like and the out-of-focus stuff is better than the 70-200, both are sharp enough. I'd agree with Colin that the ability to zoom in can be handy in large areas. BTW I also really like the sharpness and out-of-focus blur on the Panasonic version of the 70-200 2.8, e.g. http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51252546 (which is an easy way for me to post a 16MP pic here I think), click on "original size" - not bad for straight-out-of-camera, although I have better "posed" pics from that session but didn't put them online at 16MP as this one shows sharpness and blur just fine and that was my desired point, it's a technical forum. The Panny also focuses better on a GH3 than the 85/1.2 does on a 5DmkII, but when the 85 is good it's great. (The last bit is saying good focusing, a sharp centre and nice out-of-focus stuff matters most IMHO.)
    Last edited by DrJon; 19-04-2013, 09:38. Reason: Remove bonus letter in word "people"

Comment

Thanks Guy's
      Colin would the 24-70mm be good for floral shots as well as portraits? something around 70 to 85mm is what I had in mind I have a 50mm f1.4 and had the 70-200 f2.8.
      my camera is a Canon 5D MKll
      Last edited by mandon; 19-04-2013, 10:14.

Comment

Colin would the 24-70mm be good for floral shots as well as portraits?
        Yes.

It has a "macro" facility, although not true macro, but it will focus down to just over a foot (0.38m).
        Colin

Comment

Originally posted by mandon View Post
          in that case I would have said something more helpful and not so blunt like ( I think you would have a better chance of selling your lens if it were in the Classifieds Mandon)
          Quote "This particular thread is for reviews of lenses, advice about lenses and similar".
          I didn't notice that on my way in, Where dose it say that then Nathaniel.
          If you click on the thread "Lenses" and scroll down you will see what I mean- it is all about lenses and requests for advice,comments etc.
          Hope this helps.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Mandon - is it the f4 of the 24-105 that you do not like or the reach ? If the reach, then maybe a 70-200f4 IS would be a much lighter option to the f2.8, and from what I have read, it is a very good lens. I see you have a FF body otherwise I would have suggested a Sigma 50-150 f2.8...
            Canon Eos 70D, Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC, Yongnuo YN565EX + YN568EX, Panasonic FZ200

Comment

I have the 85 f1.8 which is excellent for portraits, although I prefer tho use the 135 if possible (on ff).

The 5- 1.4 or the 85 on 1.6 cameras
              Last edited by briansquibb; 19-04-2013, 17:55.
              ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by Thndr_strck View Post
                Mandon - is it the f4 of the 24-105 that you do not like or the reach ? If the reach, then maybe a 70-200f4 IS would be a much lighter option to the f2.8, and from what I have read, it is a very good lens. I see you have a FF body otherwise I would have suggested a Sigma 50-150 f2.8...
                Hi I had the 70-200 f2.8L and found it to heavy so I sold it and got myself the 24-105mmL and to be honest for the price I was not at all impressed with it I would go as far as to say disappointed, my 70-200mm was pin sharp throughout and a great lens,
                I know I put for sale on here but an exchange would be better for me.

Comment

Thanks Brian
                  would you give me a bit more info on the 135 you mention.

Comment

Originally posted by mandon View Post
                    Thanks Brian
                    would you give me a bit more info on the 135 you mention.
                    135L f2 is light and (relatively) small. I often carry that and the 200L f2.8 and 40 f2.8 as my lens. They are all cheap and very good lens. They work well with 1.6 cameras as well as the ff.
                    ef-r

Comment

Thank you Brian and everyone else on this thread, the 135L f2 I think I shall be scouting.

Comment

The 135mm F/2.0 is reported to be one of Canon's sharpest lenses; but I wouldn't call it cheap in any sense of the word! Around £850+
                        I use both 50mm F/1.4 & 100mm F/2.0 for portraits depending on wether it's head & shoulders, full length or several people in the shot.

Comment

I must say that if I had to have just ONE lens I will go for the 24-105. A brilliant lens. I will be using it for a group, postponed "Christmas" lunch (due to the floods), on Wed 1st May.
                          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                            I must say that if I had to have just ONE lens I will go for the 24-105. A brilliant lens. I will be using it for a group, postponed "Christmas" lunch (due to the floods), on Wed 1st May.
                            I agree - especially on a ff body
                            ef-r

Comment

To answer the original question, I'd try selling it for less than £480!! I've been trying to sell mine for a while now and no-one seems interested.

Comment

thanks for all the help from everyone, to slangford I was hoping to exchange my lens and not so much as sell it though thanks all the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X