Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM

Originally posted by Riggers View Post
    Just one more question... What's the difference between using a close-up lens such as Canon 500D and an extension tube such as Canon EF 25 II?
    A close up lens is a supplementary lens that screws to the front of your existing lens, using the existing filter screw. You need to buy them in the filter size of your intended lens, or if you would like to use them on more than one lens, buy it in the larger size and use step down rings to use with the smaller filter sized lenses.

An extension tube fits between the body and your lens and allows the lens to focus much closer than it was designed to. In short, allowing a standard lens to act as a macro lens. There are two types of extension tubes: manual and automatic. The manual ones are cheap and that's about all you can say about them. With no way of stopping the lens down, they are shooting wide open and with no depth of field, the results are horrendous. Pay the extra and get the automatic.

Rule of thumb seems to be:

Occasional macro needs: Close up lens
    Quite interested in macro: Auto Extension tubes
    Quite serious about macro: 100mm macro lens

Hope that helps.
    Colin

Comment

A lot of people put a reversing ring on a kit lens then mount the 50mm backward on the reversing ring and it gets great results.
      It works, but because the electronics are not connected between the body and the lens, you are shooting wide open and have no depth of field. Very few subjects will works with that restriction and they will be flat objects such as coins. General macro shooting you need lots of DOF and that means around f16. Even with that you will often need to take many shots and use focus stacking software to produce the final shot.
      Colin

Comment

Well after lots and lots of reading all I could see were issues and complications and compromises so after weighing it all up there's a lot to be said for going straight in with the 100mm Macro 2.8 IS. i.e.
        - I intend keeping this stuff a long time
        - cashback available
        - no point wasting cash on tubes and close up lenses if I only end up upgrading later
        - I'll have more fun with decent kit
        - in the unlikely event I do have a change of heart second hand values are very good

Arrives tomorrow :) Now I really am done with spending on gear for at least 12 months lol. Thanks again everyone.
        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

Originally posted by Riggers View Post
          Now I really am done with spending on gear for at least 12 months lol. Thanks again everyone.
          Like that's going to happen! ;-)

Have fun with the new lens (and don't forget you can use extension tubes with it to gain even more magnification), and we look forward to seeing some images!
          Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Well after reading Riggers post I do wonder if I'm a clone or is this common. Had the camera for about 3 weeks came back from holiday and the sun was out and so were the bees so thought is have a play with the kit lens on my 60D (EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM) to not get the results I wanted. I'd also bought tamrons cheap telephoto because my budget was way blown anyway(it does a job) but now want a macro after seeing the results of Dees bees.
            Low and behold a review of macros in magazine and after reading that and people's thoughts on here I'm looking around for a bargain on the ef 100 f2.8 usm, or is the is the L version worth the extra price for handheld shooting.
            As I'm with riggers and its an investment for the future.

Comment

As you already own the 70=200mm f/2.8 & 50mm f/1.4 you could try a reversing ring, sorry, that should be "coupling ring" and mount the reversed 50mm on to the filter thread of the tele-zoom. A cheap alternative well worth a try.

Comment

Working...
              X