Full frame upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Full frame upgrade

Of the FF bodies the 6D is the one to get unless you REALLY need the whizzy AF of the 5DmkIII (if you need a 1Dx you wouldn't be asking here).
    At high ISO the 6D is the best of the Canon bodies it seems.

Comment

Is it just me ... when the 6D was announced I thought great. Then I had a 5D3 and 6D in my hands side-by-side ... and felt the 6D nowhere near as robust as the 5D3 ... and that's before the power was switched on.

Comment

I'd originally discounted the 6D due to price, but having just looked again, they can be had new (probably imported) for similar money to a used 5D MKII. Shutter count is only rated at 100,000 though.
        Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
        http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
        https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

An interesting article, which largely concurs with the decision I made. I had in mind that I wanted a 5D, but looking at the lens choice I eventually decided I didn't need it. A 7D+10-22 did the same thing for the same price for a smaller size - admittedly not hugely so with grip, but smaller and lighter nevertheless. And as the article said, the 7D did everything the 5DII did and more.

At the time I got side-tracked by the new 60D which offered an alternative, but the 7D had some selling points that were important to me. 100% viewfinder for one. So I bought it, and very happy with that decision I've been.

The 5DIII is a game changer. Offers a 7D with full frame and better noise (as much because it's newer as because it's FF). But... it's still bigger and a lot more expensive. So the choice comes down more to price. A 7DII, of course could move the goal posts again.

Now there is another alternative in the 6D. FF for roughly the price of the 7D, but lacking some of the features. Do I want one? Yes. Do I need one? No. Is it an upgrade... ??? Not sure it is.

So... Choose the camera that does what you need it to do. If that's full frame, fine, but if it's not it doesn't make it inferior. And if your 'upgrade' means you've got to make a change of lenses at significant cost, what have you gained from the expense?

But please, don't tell me your crop camera offers greater reach or restricts your wide angle because neither is true!
          Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

For me the 6D is simply amazing.
            I was close to ditching Canon for the Nikon 600 but paper spec doesn't totally equate to real world.
            The low noise, high iso has let me get away with pics my 500D never would have, and from what I've read from 7D owners they couldn't achieve either.
            So yes the tool is as only as good as the user and I'm not much of a user. but it definitely helps.

One of my favourite quotes from a long time ago was a picture of a goalie diving the wrong way - "If you can't do it well, enjoy doing it badly".
            TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

I keep thinking about moving to a FF body but as I'd a) have to buy both a body and standard zoom the cost is quite scary and b) as I prefer shooting sport and wildlife I'd have to upgrade my longer zoom as well the cost becomes prohibitive. So my next move is likely to be to a 7D or the mk II version when it comes out.
              EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Working...
              X