First impressions with the 70-200 2.8L IS II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First impressions with the 70-200 2.8L IS II

Paul - something to read whilst eating your porridge ... http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/...5d_mark_iii.do as you recall that display of Canon kit in the window in The Buchanan Galleries

Comment

I have the 70 - 200 f2.8 II . I use the black rapid for carrying it .. Seems to work really well for me.

This lens is heavy,there's no getting away from that.But you do get used to it,after a while.
      [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

The ten tips at the bottom of the page are brilliant ... a good philosophy ...

[ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Wow that Brenizer method is quite awkward on the eye, however quite amazing. I would need to investigate that one. I don't have any planned shots for the wedding because the girl just wants a few pics that she's laid out. She's been very upset with the previous photog pulling out so quick I think.

I do have days when the lens is light, and like today, very heavy. I will keep it no doubt, but it just cries out to be fired on a 5D mkIII in my honest opinion. The 7D is a great camera, but to get all that wonderful light coming into the front element it should be supported with the best sensor too, and not one that's nearly 4 years old. Given that, I have been able to get images lately that have made me smile from ear to ear, even if everyone I know just shrugs their shoulders and says "yeah that's ok"

It's a very versatile lens too. This morning I went from shooting street, to a close up of a bird then panning on cars on the motorway. I even got the nod from a photog waiting outside the BBC building on the River Clyde. He must have thought I was working there today.

Carrying a monopod about sounds like a good idea, but I mostly sling it over my shoulder and let it hand at my back.

@MX5 I'll be reading that Flavio Bandiera article in a min when I get the kettle on at work lol

I think I just need to get out of this rut I'm in.

Same direction of light at the same time everyday when I am out walking means there's not a lot of room for creativity, and I really kind of lack in imagination. Anyway I have an ever building list of photos in my head.

Cheers for the input guys I really appreciate it.
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

I had a play at Bokehramas (the Brenizer method) but you need to be close or to have a very fast lens - I found even with an 85/1.2 close was still a requirement, although if anyone wants a 157MP picture of Marble Arch I can help them out...

Comment

Paul,

I understand all what you say. As an "old stager" who is consious about "weight", I plan ahead as to which camera body and lens I will take with me, when I am going out. That way you won't be carrying something you are NOT comfortable with. With your f2.8 think ahead what you wish to photograph and then take that lens- for example bird photography. I get the impression that you are carrying the lens like a "walk about" lens and it is not meant for such a purpose when there are "lighter" alternatives. so in short, thinking ahead about what you are going to photograph will certainly sort you out. ENJOY the lens. I have never owned one but have tried one with a friend. Good luck.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Nat, I'd have to disagree with the comment about it not being meant for walkabout. For "street" type walkabout tele zooms are really good for getting shots without being intrusive. I'd guess it's the adaptability of the 70-200 2.8 that makes it popular with so many people that make money from photos, in particular press togs.
                TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

With apologies to Paul for usurping your thread, I have to agree to differ with you, Wayne. I use a compact like the G series with a zoom of say up to 140mm which is adequate and quite unobstrusive. I have taken quite a lot of such pictures- see under people and places- Betws-y-coed for example. Maybe a professional photographer would like to use a long lens but it is the nuisance value and possiblity of being mugged that should also be borne in mind when carrying such equipment. The bottom line is one must do what is comfortable for him/her. I am happy to take my compact for such pictures and if it rains one can easily put it under your raincoat/mac or even the pocket; I can also walk longer distances with such a light weight camera than lugging a heavy 70-200mm f2.8 lens on a DSLR body.
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

It's not as bad as I thought with regards to weight, so I must be gaining muscles to carry it lol

Going back to this Brenizer method thing, I took my daughter a walk and had a wee bash at it in the forest.

Robyn (Brenizer Method) by Campsie Photography, on Flickr

A 33 shot bokeh panorama that resulted in a 13,000 pixel wide picture that's taken me about an hour to work on, due to my slow laptop.

I was only standing 6ft from her if you can believe that lol

A strange looking effect that has a lot of work in the background. I just wonder if it's worth using a lot.
                    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                    www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
                      It's not as bad as I thought with regards to weight, so I must be gaining muscles to carry it lol
                      Paul = Just keep eating the porridge and spinach and you'll be okay. I manage a 20kg backpack all day on long (and sometimes very hard) walks. The bottom line is the better the attachment (strap) for a camera the less you feel the weight. I appreciate some don't want the hassle or the weight or the momentum effect.

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                        Paul = Just keep eating the porridge and spinach and you'll be okay. I manage a 20kg backpack all day on long (and sometimes very hard) walks. The bottom line is the better the attachment (strap) for a camera the less you feel the weight. I appreciate some don't want the hassle or the weight or the momentum effect.
                        I went a 10 mile hike with my daughter today and it wasnt any bother.
                        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Paul, try switching to S2 mode (2.5MP images) and then shoot the panorama. Stitching's a lot quicker, and the resulting image is a more manageable size too.
                          Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

I use this lens a lot, sometimes for the whole day walking around pool tournaments taking pics and I've also taken it out and about in the countryside. Weight can be an issue after a while but on a recommendation I purchased a Black Rapid strap and this takes all the weight away.

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.
                            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

I really don't know if I could spend £50 on a strap. Plus does it not bang about your hip and thigh as it smacks around as you walk?
                              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                              www.campsie.photography

Comment

The only downside is its weight. If weight is not an issue then it is the way to go. If weight is an issue then the 70-300L is a good alternative.
                                ef-r

Comment

Working...
                                X