Options for longer reach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Options for longer reach

Based on several days of researching, viewing pics, and getting a general consensus on lenses, I opted to buy the Canon EF 75-300. I think it's probably on par with the L series lenses and I don't mind the lens creep. I do miss having it, and it was my first telephoto lens.

I'm kidding of course, I got the Canon 400mm f/5.6L USM. Got it off Flash Camera for £915 with free delivery. UK warranty too so my first non Digital Rev purchase lol.

I think it offers what I'm after, quick AF, sharp as a tack and the pics are great from it. I wanted to get to 400mm and I think just buying the prime lens would fit the bill. Time will tell if it was a good idea, but we'll see.

Cheers for all the advice on this.
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Comment

You will love it ,as I said its tack sharp even wide open ,the only time you need to stop down is for d.o.f ,good choice ,forget any t.c though as they cut down I.q to much

Comment

I think you've made the right decision especially for bird shots, i use a 300mm but wish i had a 400mm i would much rather fill the frame rather than have to crop.

Paul
        EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
        Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Cheers folks. I hope it's the right thing to do. I do realise though that I'm heading for a slippery slope of chasing long fast primes. Some have said that trying to get closer is addictive, however, I think this will be enough for now. I think I done ok with a 200mm limit to get all the kingy shots I got and birds so far. They were more in controlled environments set up by myself so next year it's all about the bigger stuff and trying to keep to the same mentality.
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

You will miss the IS Paul
            Bob Turner
            Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Bawbee View Post
              You will miss the IS Paul
              Maybe so :) I'm going to develop my own bespoke IS system. If I jump in a mud pile I can't move lol beats falling in the river.
              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
              www.campsie.photography

Comment

I think this guy sums up the difference between these choices quite nicely. If you don't already have one you might want to get a good monopod for your new lens Paul.

One thing I now plan on trying is the 300F4 without the TC just to see if things are any sharper / faster.
                Last edited by Riggers; 16-12-2013, 17:19.
                Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

The link didn't work Lee but I rambled around the site for a bit and it's a wealth of info on there. Jeez my head is bursting lol
                  Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                  www.campsie.photography

Comment

Thanks for all your thinking process/es so well detailed on this thread. Shows me (and others) how much thought one should put into such expensive purchases. Enjoy your lens and let us have your feedback in due course.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

[QUOTE=Paulstw;184120]The link didn't work Lee but I it's a wealth of info on there. QUOTE]

Just had a good nosey around it too .. cor I wish I was rich .
                      [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

The whole I.s thing makes me laugh ,it's a proven fact that over 1/500th of a sec ,you might just as well switch it off ,in fact I was reading someone last week that advocates switching it off entirely on all lens to enhance sharpness,personally I have used long reach lenses for several years without I.s and never felt the need for it .and as I have already stated I,m no spring chicken being just short of 70 years old

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
                          The link didn't work Lee but I rambled around the site for a bit and it's a wealth of info on there. Jeez my head is bursting lol
                          Sorry link fixed now.
                          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

Originally posted by Riggers View Post
                            Sorry link fixed now.
                            Cheers Lee. I reckon from reading that I have made the right choice. Seeing that most of the time I do trying to snap quick to catch stuff in flight. For stationary birds I'm usually in a hide of some sort.
                            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                            www.campsie.photography

Comment

yes you have ,in decent light and using the right a/f mode ,it will snap into focus instantaneously ,if you had gone for the 300 and tc there would have been a few micro seconds delay in focus lock ,not a lot but sometimes the difference between getting that moment and not .take your time with it and learn which modes it works in best ,got to learn to love my 7d again now the 1d3 has gone home
                              .initially just leave it set on f5.6 all the time you will soon see what i mean ,do a search on e/bay for camo covers the best ones are from the place in warrington i think i paid about £35 well worth it .next day delivery to

Comment

I'll just stick with my sigma 50-500...until I can afford the 120-300 f2.8...
                                Canon Eos 70D, Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC, Yongnuo YN565EX + YN568EX, Panasonic FZ200

Comment

Working...
                                X