Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Challenge 61: Every Picture Tells a Story - Book Covers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Challenge 61: Every Picture Tells a Story - Book Covers.

Take Flight (by John Weidman)

Canon 1d Mk IV, 100mm macro lens, 1/1000 sec @ f6.3 ISO250, taken on 16th January

Comment

'Close To The Bone' by Stuart Macbride

Close To The Bone by C J Lee, on Flickr

Canon EOS 1100D f8 1/4 sec ISO 100 180mm

Just thought I'd have a go sorry for being a bit dark with it though, not normally my type of thing.
      Chris
      Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Comment

Any last entries anyone?
        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
        Di's Flickr

Comment

Sorry I tried to come back and post this last night, but my internet kept cutting. So here goes...

Thank you to all that entered. I hope that you've enjoyed finding something to fit the challenge. You've all made it very difficult to pick a winner. You all deserve a

Now I have to say - Forgive me. I have never done anything like this and if I'm honest I sometimes like an image and don't really know why it appeals to me. I'm also aware that my taste isn't every ones and sometimes I "see" images in a way that makes others look at me like I've lost the plot.

Below are a few lines relating to each entry which I wrote in notepad file each time I saw the image for the first time. - Please feel free to ignore me (what do I know )

Following this I will just pick a 3rd 2nd 1st.

Which I have to confess is harder than it sounds. I've been up and down the pages several times and also looked the books up online to see what the original covers are where possible.

So here goes...

Frozen Planet.

Definately matches the title of the book. Could easily see it with the title imprinted above.

White frost/snow on ice. Recently struggled getting white snow so I'm impressed.

Swan Lake.

Suits the title. White swans with feather detail. If this was my image I'd be tempted to crop after the third swan, making it more of a square crop. But thats because I like the reflection, others will say they like the ripples just as much. Would look good on the front of a book.

Lord of the Rings.

Who would have know Mordor is to the north. Matches the title very well. I was thinking I would have gone with sepia to tone down the red of the compass needle, but then it may have destroyed the gold reflection of the ring. Which shows up very nicely and fits in with the story very well.

Corn Snakes.

Spot on with matching the title. Could easily see this on the front of a book. Nice light, showing the texture of the snake. Catch light in eye (tick) Good pose and nicely set against the black.

The Fellowship Of The Rings.

Suits its title. Wasn't sure whether I'd see it on the front of a book but looking again. If it was turned portrait style and trimmed a little on the bottom/right hand side it would suit very well. Makes me wonder whether Audi are aware of the link. Like the light play across the rings and the reflections just caught along the upper edge. Would stand out very well on a book cover.

Shades of Grey Trilogy

Matches it Title. Computer screen tone matching? Would make a good replacement for what as become one of the most well know book covers of 2012. Which would you believe was picked so people wouldn't know what the book was about. Wonder if you sell them this one.

War & Peace

Fits it title. A trio of objects. Even gardeners put things into threes because its pleasing to the eye. Canon and bible self explanatory, the candle representing a flicker of hope for mankind perhaps? As a book cover wouldn't even need the title written on the front.

The White Garden by Virginia Woolf

Certainly matches the title. An image full of texture. I like to see snow clinging to trees and plants. You certainly weren't kidding when you said you'd been moving snow around. You have a beautiful garden which as made a beautiful image.

Take Flight (by John Weidman)

Certainly suits the title. Great image, white birds against blue sky, like the feather detail in the birds. I just wonder how it would look with the third bird down cloned out? - Theres also a book called "The White Dove." Maybe you could do a deal? Room for a title running vertically down the page. Would look good on the front cover.

'Close To The Bone' by Stuart Macbride

Looked the book up online. Certainly matches the title. A squiggle with the knife and you could have had a skull looking bone. Like it set against the black. Can just see the title writing across the the bottom. Would make a good front cover.

Now for the hard bit:

1st - Secondintime with: Cornsnakes

2nd - Tesarver with: The Fellowship of the Rings.

3rd - David Stallard with: Swan Lake

Once again, thank you and well done to everyone who entered. Hope to see you all again on the next challenge.

I pass on the challenge to you Swoosh.
          Last edited by DeeGee; 27-01-2013, 18:53. Reason: spelling
          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
          Di's Flickr

Comment

Well done Di, great comments for each image.

Congrats Secondintime lovely detail and a great picture.

Comment

Congratulations Peter and to all who took part.
              Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
              http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
              https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Challenge 61: Every Picture Tells a Story - Book Covers.

Thanks Di for taking the time to comment on each image. Very well do and congrats Peter on the win.

Tom

Comment

Congratulations Peter; a clever picture and well executed. Well done to all the others; some beautiful images there.

All we need now, Peter, is an equally satisfying subject for the next challenge.
                  Garrett

Still struggling to see the wonder of the world around me.

450D, 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lenses, 50mm f1.8. Canon PowerShot G12., Ixus 950IS.

Comment

Great comp Di, well chuffed to have won, all great entries again. Really enjoy these comps, and seeing the entries. Will try and get a new one set a bit later. Need to give it some thought. Thanks again, we'll done all who entered.
                    Previously "The Real Swoosh"

My Blog..HERE....My website.....SECONDINTIME.....Flickr HERE..... 500px HERE

EOS 60D, EF- 70-200 L (non is), EF-24-105 L, EF-17-40 L , EF 100mm Macro, , EF 50mm II, 580 EX II, Canon S90. Kids Kit. EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm IS Manfrotto 3405B Tripod. Hama Compact pro Tripod. Giottos MTL 9351B Tripod, Giottos MH 1300 Head, Manfrotto 790B Monopod. Billingham Hadley Pro. Lowepro 202AW Slingshot Bag.

Comment

Well done that man!

Chuffed I got third - will wonders never cease?

.DAVID.
                      Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Well done Peter, although I have to admit I am petrfied of snakes, so could not look at your photo properly!! Thank you Di for commenting so fully on all the entries, a task very well done

Comment

Well done and congratulations Secondintime, and thanks for the comp DeeGee.
                          There were some great shots this time around, and even one or two that may be early contenders for End Of Year Showcase 2013...
                          Canon EOS 7D
                          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Working...
                          X