Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To PP or not to PP - that is the question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: To PP or not to PP - that is the question!

Originally posted by Nathaniel Ramanaden View Post
    I am the one without the beard, from Cheshire. Brian is the gentleman with the beard, from Kent.
    He, he. I am the one with the hat, from Dorset.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Am I hearing this right.....Digital cameras,computors.and photoshop are just tools we use...we all have the choice on what we do with our images...how many film users developed there own colour prints or even processed slides?..I did and i hated every dark moment.The smell of the cemicals the waiting for the final image ect; all added to me sending all my print and slide films off for someone eles to play around with.We now have complete controll of every step in producing an image we are happy with.Its called progress...lets not dwell in the past..lets use every tool that we can to get a great image.I for one will.And now look forward to what the future holds for us photographers....I hope I have not upset anyone.
      There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

Maybe we could have a section for people to show off their heavily shopped images. ?

Heavily shopped images sometimes get the same reaction on photography forums, that divorced transvestites get in Miss World competitions.

I don't really care, I'm just showing off my abilty to coin original phrases in a world full of clichés LOL

Millie
        Last edited by Millie; 13-06-2010, 09:52.

Comment

Just to chuck my Hat, Beard, Bare chin into the mix,

Surely whether in a competition or not, it is the resulting image that is judged, viewed, loved, hated, analysed and rated, not the process or equipment used to get it to the point where the photographer feels it is worthy of entry or display. After all beauty is in the eye of the viewer.

However documentary, news etc is a completely other ball game .....

Just my thoughts

Regards Tony

Comment

It's one of these perennial discussions, with plenty of steam without any resolution (or agreement).

I spend a lot of time in photoshop but very little time photoshopping my images, mainly because I enjoy it (a dry darkroom) , also because I think if an image is anything like, then it's worth spending some time fine tuning it.

My biggest pet hates at the moment come from both sides of the PP spectrum, on one side I find HDR images and portraits where the skin has been softened so much they look like waxworks dummies, both to be particularly ghastly.

On the other side of the coin the words 'straight from camera' fill me with dread , as if no post processing at all is some kind of badge of honour, when often a little post processing would improve the image no end.
            Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
            Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post
              Maybe we could have a section for people to show off their heavily shopped images. ?

Heavily shopped images sometimes get the same reaction on photography forums, that divorced transvestites get in Miss World competitions.

I don't really care, I'm just showing off my abilty to coin original phrases in a world full of clichés LOL

Millie
              There's a seat waiting for you in the EOS Pub:tongue:

jhdee
              jhdee

Comment

Millie
                I think this would be a good idea.Heavily shopped images are not photography in my book. It is like Damian Hurst putting sharks,sheep etc in formalin and call it as "Art".To me there are 3 types ofphotographers (i) ones who captures the image in camera (ii) ones who captures the image in Raw and makes small adjustments in PP (iii)ones who like to create photographic images by bringing blue skies, the moon and sun when there was none of these in the original photogragh. I therefore agree with Millie that there should be a separate section for people to show off their heavily shopped images via PP.

P.S Shame Millie that you removed your Avatar. Made a refreshing change from the different "hatted,bearded, masked" faces on the forum!
                Last edited by Nathaniel; 16-06-2010, 12:12.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

to me there are 3 types of photographers
                  Nathaniel I think you’re over simplifying with your three types of photographer ?

There's a seat waiting for you in the EOS Pub
                  Ok Jhdee, you get a round in and I'll be there later, mine's is a large V and T, just ice - no slice. :-)
                  Millie

Comment

Yes, Millie. I have over simplified as it seems the easiest, without going into all the other myriads of the different types. Too confusing and I get lost on the way!
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Nathaniel I think you’re over simplifying with your three types of photographer ?
                      I'd agree with the number but not the definitions: Good, bad or inbetween. PP is just another tool which in the right hands can be good and in others, bad. I prefer PP to enhance or adjust, but not to deceive. On the other hand, I'd suggest a bad photograph won't be helped by processing any more than a a bad photographer is helped by better equipment.
                      Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

I am in favor of PP to enhance a picture but against it to remove/input somthing.I look at pictures as being a moment in time caught on camera and not a few pictures stuck together,dont get me wrong I have spent a few hours putting together a collection of photos into just one but thats just what they are a PP image and not a photo and I would never try to pass them off as anything else.
                        Many people spent loads of time setting up a shot ie:right place/back ground,good lighting,subject etc.is that bad as well?
                        My friends call me Woody

Comment

If you want your images to look their best a certain amount of work will be required. If you want to create great images, the same applies. this may mean removing small blemishes or other things or it may not. I do what I feel is required. i try not to over photoshop mages but many have plugins to smooth or blur parts of an image, remove spots on a client's face and reduce wrinkles . In a landscape I may remove a bit of rubbish on the ground or remove a dust spot from the camera.....

I would disagree that there is a difference. post processed or not people make images. Photography is an art.
                          5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Working...
                          X