No announcement yet.

The new challenge - 202

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I belong to a camera club in New York that has a monthly competition judged by a professional photographer and he/ she gives 12 points for a superior shot, 10 for average and 8 for below average. At the end of the year you have a champ. I don’t think such harshness would work for here but points for the top three would work.

Comment

Originally posted by @imagesBV View Post

great…do you want to resume now and re-draft the rules or shall I ?
      I'm happy for you to re-draft the rules and host this month if you're happy too Brian.

I'm also keen to learn a bit more about how a points system would work/go throughout the year

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post

Nat’s ability to be a judge was questioned by someone when he volunteered to take the Challenge on, what qualities has that person got to be a judge, other than perhaps ‘Birds of a feather flock together’
        Thanks Trev….how very dare they!
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by @imagesBV View Post
          Thanks Trev….how very dare they!
          ?????
          Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Just looking at this again, in the main there’s only two members who seem to have any interest in the Challenge. Nat and Brian, David put his thoughts in as for me I got no interest in whatsoever - entering or judging. Where is everyone else.
            Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

I have been intentionally keeping out of this discussion but I probably should put in my three penny worth for what its worth

For me personally this challenge has completely lost its way with these rule revisions, it is not in fact a challenge any longer, it just looks for a picture someone likes best. With the original rules it had a real purpose in making you think how you were going to meet the requirements of the challenge. I enjoyed that aspect as it forced you to think and plan what you were going to do and then make the time to do it. Sometimes using techniques you may not have tried before. That it what a challenge is.

What is sad is that there is no longer even a theme! Anything goes! We don’t care just put pics in. I personally do not know of any other competition (the new rules have placings so it must be one) where there is not some definition.

I am sorry but this is no longer a challenge and shouldn’t be called one, it should probably be renamed to ‘This Quarters Best Pic’ perhaps. It is not for me and I’ll not be putting any pics in. I am sad about that as I did enjoy the challenge as it was.

Ian
              Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Thanks Ian….you are correct in that we are not defining a theme…but the judging is back in there …it’s not just the judges favourite pick.

in the old format with a theme there were very few entries…removing the restriction of theme was designed to encourage more entries.

the challenge is now only to produce a better picture than other entries without a theme restriction.

I’m in favour of bringing back the theme after this month depending on the success or not of this months challenge and further feedback

either way we now have a points system through the year, and a commitment from judges to keep this going …these two changes may be all we need

We learnt from last months challenge despite Nath’s valiant efforts that we’d not got it right yet

please enter and stay in the process of saving the challenge…I think we are on a journey here and I’m not under any delusion that we’ve arrived at a final solution yet.
                Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Well said Ian I am on the same wavelength, themes are the challenge, going to areas you have never gone before.
                  Dave

Comment

Thanks Ian and Dave for posting your views…especially as you are both frequent contributors to the challenge. And because you are frequent contributors it seems crazy that we could lose your entries while trying to make it more attractive to members who have not posted their views. I wish more would contribute to this discussion- without more input we are clutching at straws rather than pursuing a process.
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Working...
                    X