Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lens (filter) cleaning.

Originally posted by JaKS_Foto View Post
    Why pay for an excellent modern lens and put another sheet of glass over it?
    Simples - to ensure that expensive lens is kept weatherproof. I take mine out in all weathers and some harsh places ... I'm on my 4th Protect Filter (that's Canon Optical Glass with full coating ... not exactly a bit of Pilkington house glass) as the previous ones all suffered chips etc ... which had I have gone commando would have meant an expensive lens repair. But each to their own -- I don't say you are wrong not using protection nor am I saying I'm right ... but I do for the reasons given.

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
      Simples - to ensure that expensive lens is kept weatherproof.

Well I’m quite confident that my ‘expensive’ lens is weatherproof. It does not need any further help.

I am more concerned with image quality, and to add some extra glass to the front which has the potential to interfere with the result is beyond me.
      The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Comment

Well I’m quite confident that my ‘expensive’ lens is weatherproof. It does not need any further help.
        Quite a few L lenses need a filter to complete weatherproofing (17-40L, 24-105L for example) which is primarily why I fit a filter.

Comment

Quite a few L lenses need a filter to complete weatherproofing.
          Oh dear, I’ll need to send mine back then.
          The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Comment

Oh dear, I’ll need to send mine back then.
            I'm not following your logic ... Canon [not me] recommend you fit a protect filter to complete weatherproofing on quite a few L lenses.

Comment

I'm not following your logic ... Canon [not me] recommend you fit a protect filter to complete weatherproofing on quite a few L lenses.
              They also recommend you use Canon printers, Canon ink, Canon glossy paper, Canon flash guns, etc etc…

Comment

PS if you've got 'sticky stuff' on your kit (gum for example) ... then checkout this site De-Solv-It
                If you've got sticky stuff/gum on your camera, whatever you do avoid this stuff from Halfords - it's lethal. It will dissolve certain plastics, as I discovered after it ate through a menu panel on an expensive keyboard.

Guaranteed, when it comes to lenses and filters we're really careful about what we use. Be just as cautious about what you use on camera bodies.
                I'm the first to rush to help people, yet it's not okay to respond to a misinformed remark. You don't deserve my custom, patronage or help, so taking it elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                X