There are good forums, and then there are not so good forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: There are good forums, and then there are not so good forums

There are three types of forums (generally), this one which is like your favourite pub, comfortable, friendly atmosphere, good ale, no jukebox and an understanding but firm landlord, where you can have a chat and laugh with your mates, gentle ribbing, but with boundaries on behaviour.

The second is like going to a rave in a strange town, it's anarchic, irreverent, riotous, noisy,rude, funny and occasionally extreme. And the bouncers (moderators) are often off their heads with too many E's.

The third is like those secretive back street clubs, where funny handshakes are the norm, ritualised procedures to gain entrance, regulars who think themselves the font of all wisdom (but are usually so up their own backsides they never see light of day), who sneer at anyone who doesn't fit their twisted mould, or dare to suggest the emperor has no clothes.

All have their place, I enjoy tremendously the first type (this forum), I also use the second type, it's generally fun, and as long as you stay down the shallow end, it's harmless. The third type, I'd rather go to the dentist.
    Last edited by Les McLean; 06-10-2013, 13:11.
    Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
    Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Originally posted by pelliott1954 View Post
      Now it has sort of started again, someone put up what I thought was a really funny Wedding Picture, so, like a fool, I put up a few of the ones I thought were amusing from the shots of the Wedding I have added here recently, which on the whole have been well received. Within minutes I got the most arrogant, smug, condescending reply from a Pro Wedding Photographer........"I suppose there is a Market for this kind of stuff", but he finished his post with ..." I will leave out what I really think of them" with one of those little faces winking!! I had only put them in for a bit of a laugh following the other thread.

It makes you wonder sometimes, if it's worth bothering,
      I wouldn't worry about wedding photographers. I've found that some of them get really uptight about any one else taking photographs at the wedding with anything better than a camera phone, and some even get upset by those. I have the feeling they're worried about anyone stepping on their toes and interfering with the sales of their pictures. The last wedding I went to I deliberately left my 30D at home and just took the G12. I still got several snide comments from the official photographer, which I ignored.
      John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

For the professional wedding photographer, photographing weddings is his or her 'bread and butter'.

However, when they are commissioned to photograph a wedding, they do not have the sole rights to take photographs at the wedding.

Family and friends will also want to take photos, whether it be with compact or a 1D + L lens. That's just the way it is, and I suspect that most professional wedding photographers accept this.

However, I guess there will always be the ones who think that they a 'god's gift' to wedding photography, and that anybody else taking photos on the day, is a parasite.

You were absolutely right to ignore the snide remarks. I would have done the same, but accompanied by a 'one finger salute'.

Dave
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X