Are you all professional photographers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you all professional photographers?

This not really a photographic thread, but I just wanted to ask you for a long time.

Are you all professional photograpers? I see photo's here, and locations where you take them. And I think to myself, I even could not make those photo's in my dreams.
    With kind regards,
    Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Re: Are you all professional photographers?

Well you haven't seen any of mine then...
    But in answer to your question, jeepers no.
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Very much an amateur, here. 2 years with a camera.
      Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
      http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
      https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Originally posted by Fr1so View Post
        This not really a photographic thread, but I just wanted to ask you for a long time.

Are you all professional photographers? I see photo's here, and locations where you take them. And I think to myself, I even could not make those photo's in my dreams.
        Hey Fr1so.

I'm not presuming for one minute you are talking about any of my work but I will add my two penneth worth. Yes I have media accreditation for the racing I cover but that is mainly because I cover the club, I do not think of myself as a professional - far from it.

My understanding is you are classed as a professional if you make a large percentage of your income from photography (I don't make enough to cover a new body/lens so that's me out) In fact 7 years ago I didn't even know how to use a DSLR let alone own one - perseverance, a lot of hard work and following the work of other photographers on-line helped me to understand what I was doing right and wrong, then it was just practice / practice / practice some more and then when I thought I was done. . . . go out and start all over again.

One thing I have learned more than anything along the way is "there are no such thing as stupid questions".

.DAVID.
        Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Also amateurs can take great photo's I know. You don't have to be a pro to do that. But there are a here a lot of member who's takes unbelievable photo's, and they have (it seems to be) all the good L lenses.

Everytime when I want to post a photo on this forum, I think to myself is this photo good enough? Because the level of the photo's on this forum is very high.
          Last edited by Fr1so; 26-01-2014, 14:41.
          With kind regards,
          Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

I've only been using a DSLR for 18 months. Everyday right enough, but far from being a pro. Pro's get paid :)
            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
            www.campsie.photography

Comment

Hi Friso, I think the majority of forum members are just keen hobbyists, that over the years have invested both in their time & money to get the skils and equipment to produce some of the great images we see posted here. it can seem a bit daunting for those (me included) with modest ability posting images, it can be a great help in raising your standards though, though the critique recieved it's a good way to learn.

Ray

Comment

Good comment there Ray ... and in answer to the original question ... No.
                [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Hi Friso, I'm just an enthusiastic amateur, and have been for more years than I care to remember.

Photography is, and always has been, just a rewarding hobby, to me.

Dave
                  Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Fr1so View Post
                    Everytime when I want to post a photo on this forum, I think to myself is this photo good enough? Because the level of the photo's on this forum is very high.
                    Fr1so, please don't ever think that a photo isn't good enough to post on here. If it can be improved upon, you will always receive constructive suggestions. But I think you'll be surprised at people's positive comments to your work. I know I have been.
                    In fact, I would turn your concerns around. I now find that every time I take or process a photo I think 'what would I say if I saw this on the forum?'. And it pushes me to take that little bit more effort, which ultimately results in a better image, whether I post it or not.
                    Canon EOS 7D
                    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
                      Fr1so, please don't ever think that a photo isn't good enough to post on here. If it can be improved upon, you will always receive constructive suggestions. But I think you'll be surprised at people's positive comments to your work. I know I have been.
                      In fact, I would turn your concerns around. I now find that every time I take or process a photo I think 'what would I say if I saw this on the forum?'. And it pushes me to take that little bit more effort, which ultimately results in a better image, whether I post it or not.
                      well said Alex ,just about sums this forum upand there is quite a few of us who dont have L lens or the latest cameras yet, but just enjoying the journey and make the best with what we have.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
                        Friso

Exactly what Alex has said above.

On top of that - dont look at it as you being in competition with anyone on here. I was nervous like you and had read the forum for a while, seen the pictures and was concerned about posting my images. However, I look on the other pictures as inspiration and also have gained some good ideas regarding composition etc that I would not have thought of myself. I have also received some excellent constructive advice (as well as a confidence boost from the positiveness of the comments) regarding my images that I have posted and on top of that not just good reliable and constructive advice on the picture itself, but on post processing elements within Lightroom / Photoshop etc - its surprising at how much a picture changes when you remove a couple of cars from behind a portrait of the wife etc.
                        Andy
                        Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
                        EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
                        [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Friso

They are telling lies .................. every one of them is a Pro .............................. but maybe not at photography though!

Slightly more seriously, you look at their work and you think WOW, wish I had taken that, yet you don't get the Wow factor from your own work. Here's why:

• You saw the original scene.
                          • You photographed it.
                          • You checked it on the rear screen.
                          • You checked it on your computer.
                          • You modified it in your RAW program.
                          • You gave it the final polish in Photoshop.
                          • You uploaded the shot to this Forum.

You have seen it so many time that to you, it is quite ordinary, because you are used to it. To us, it still has the Wow. We all suffer from it and I load many a shot that I don't consider worthy of this Forum, yet other members are so complimentary and I have had many a conversation with other members and they feel the same about their work.

So you keep posting and we'll say Wow!
                          Colin

Comment

Fully agree with the comments made by the members. Look forward to your pics.
                            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I agree with Colin that it is because you see the photo more so it loses some of it's appeal. So don't feel like you shouldn't post a photo on here.

Oh and I am the furthest away from being a pro that you can get just a keen ameatuer
                              1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
                              Facebook
                              www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X