No announcement yet.

Are you all professional photographers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are you all professional photographers?

I agree with the others, your pictures and images are just as valuable to this forum as anyone else's.
    I am most definitely an amateur, and have definitely benefitted by having members here comment on images to help me improve images and techniques.
    Andy

Comment

Furioso, from another rank amateur I can only second what the other folks have said. I have learnt a lot from this forum and hope that you will continue to post and also learn from the forum members as we all have hope to continue doing for a long time to come

Comment

I know I'd starve if I relied on money from my photographs.
        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
        Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by DeeGee View Post
          yep, I'd be dead.
          A true amateur here, keen club member, sort of know what I am doing occasionally, mostly just having fun and trying to get that 'winning' shot.
          As for critiquing your own shots, at a course I did recently, this topic was raised and EVERYONE said that they would look at their own photos and be disappointed. I'm told that some photographers don't actually look at their work for a period of time after they take the images for that reason.
          I know that I have been on holiday, come home, download and am really disappointed. then will forget about them and a year later will be 'just looking' and wonder how I missed some.
          You can only improve if you are brave enough to put your stuff out there and really listen to what others have to say. If you think that there are good photographers here, then you have a great audience to help you with your work.
          BTW - excellent questions and excellent comments in the thread (I also wanted to know the answer)

Comment

Agree totally with what's been said ... Whilst I've be taking photographs for 50+ years ... including making my own chemistry and processing in the early days. But I wouldn't even call myself an amateur (there are many 'amateurs' on this site who are very good). I'm fortunate to have for the last 30 of those 50 years to be able to afford decent kit. But I take photographs to record a scene as-is -- which generally means a) limited PS b) none adherence to various rules ... but in my defence I'm an artistic philistine. However I regard this site (amongst it many uses) as a knowledge transfer site, improving ones technique site, and being given a critical and honest views (from many aspects) of photographs you take.

Comment

I wish... I have never been more than a very keen amateur, since the age of 5! And since then there were also a lot of lean years when I wasn't doing any photography. I am lucky that I can afford some very decent kit, which I cannot use necessarily to best advantage, but I love it! And I love being able to share photographs on this forum!

Go ahead and share with us!

Best

Richard
              Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Originally posted by rcarca View Post
                I am lucky that I can afford some very decent kit, which I cannot use necessarily to best advantage, but I love it! And I love being able to share photographs on this forum!
                That about sums it up.
                Andy

Comment

Originally posted by DeeGee View Post
                  That sums it up for me, thanks Di for putting in to words my status as a photographer.

I do admire some of the professional photographers, one of whom has his business close to me. He obviously makes a living out of his photography but...it is I suspect supplemented by other sources of income, e.g. his business premise now includes a small Coffee shop, an area of arts and craft style gifts, you can book on to his photography and editing training courses. It also has galleries where associated photographers can showcase their work. You can of course purchase his work as well. I should also say that he is a very nice guy and always has time for a chat about why/how he captured an image but he doesn't use Canon cameras .
                  Last edited by ST-EOS; 27-01-2014, 09:25. Reason: smelling corrections
                  Peter

Feel free to browse my
                  Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Friso, if you think that most of the pictures posted here are of "professional standards" it is a credit to the forum as most of us started as "snap shot" photographers. By frequent posting of images and getting C&C from more experienced members, many members have reached a certain standard. So do keep on posting your images.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                      Friso, if you think that most of the pictures posted here are of "professional standards" it is a credit to the forum as most of us started as "snap shot" photographers. By frequent posting of images and getting C&C from more experienced members, many members have reached a certain standard. So do keep on posting your images.
                      Well said Nat and that is exactly how I feel.
                      when I posted my first pics I thought they were rubbish and it is only through the forum that my photography has improved.
                      I can still only dream of having the equipment that some members are lucky to have.

Alan
                      Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                        Friso

They are telling lies .................. every one of them is a Pro .............................. but maybe not at photography though!

Slightly more seriously, you look at their work and you think WOW, wish I had taken that, yet you don't get the Wow factor from your own work. Here's why:

• You saw the original scene.
                        • You photographed it.
                        • You checked it on the rear screen.
                        • You checked it on your computer.
                        • You modified it in your RAW program.
                        • You gave it the final polish in Photoshop.
                        • You uploaded the shot to this Forum.

You have seen it so many time that to you, it is quite ordinary, because you are used to it. To us, it still has the Wow. We all suffer from it and I load many a shot that I don't consider worthy of this Forum, yet other members are so complimentary and I have had many a conversation with other members and they feel the same about their work.

So you keep posting and we'll say Wow!
                        Wow, this is almost scary ... You press the finger on the right point!!
                        Last edited by Fr1so; 27-01-2014, 19:53.
                        With kind regards,
                        Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

Thank you all for your comments. This gives me more confidence to post more photo's. And maybe, I have to come to the UK for the great landscapes!
                          With kind regards,
                          Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

Originally posted by Fr1so View Post
                            Thank you all for your comments. This gives me more confidence to post more photo's. And maybe, I have to come to the UK for the great landscapes!
                            Helps to be here for the hills!!!

Best

Richard
                            Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Friso,

You have so many lovely sights- Markham,Volendam (hope the spelling is right!)- to name juse two, plus all your Dykes, your Queen cylcing around- atleast the last time I was in Holland,the great Tulips/flower market- Oh I can mention a few more. Mustn't forget the diamonds in Amsterdam! So lets see some of those lovely sights. Waiting for your posts.
                              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Fr1so, the Netherlands has some great landscapes and interesting architecture it's just flatter than ours! :-)
                                I'm actually in Holland with work at the moment and was taking some snaps around Den Haag at the weekend. Unfortunately I can't share them on here as they weren't taken with my Canon. :reface: One or two I quite liked but lots were not very good. It's always worth posting something even if you aren't entirely happy with it as the feedback can be invaluable in helping you to improve.
                                TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Working...
                                X