Cheers folks..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cheers folks..

In my previous job I too have had complaints about me using office/working time to do my "private work, where as this was alway done during my lunch breaks or flextime, time off, when I stayed in work to do my own thing. This is all because of jealousy,as mentioned by other members,esp when you are very good at doing your "other,hobby interest"! I think Jeff's point is a very good one, in that write out what you do etc, print it and get your employers approval and signature and then carry on doing what you have been doing. Anyway good luck and hope to see you back on the forum at some point in time.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Stop being such a drama queen. . . . . . . (said lightly )

Seriously mate, don't give it up, you have only been in 'it' for five minutes. I went from an office job where I was online throughout the day / everyday to a job where I have no access until the evening when I get home (off sick today before you ask) it also took me over 5 years of hard graft / badgering emails / zero pay to even get a look in with the club and to get my accreditation - and I still don't get paid and have to do a day job that I dislike, but hey - during the season I get out most weekends to shoot subjects I love (sometimes look like a drowned rat myself) but do you know what. . . . . I wouldn't have it any other way!

Why give up what you really enjoy? as for your kit - don't stress, save what you can and in the mean time work around what you have, it WILL make you a better 'tog' I started out with a basic Sony a350 and a kit lens, I walked a lot more to get the shots and threw away more than I kept BUT I'm still here and I'm still putting the next bit of kit on hold until the card is paid off.

Sorry to waffle on - as for your little 'friend' - excuse my language but - F*** them! proves that he / she is jealous of your high standards.

.DAVID.
      Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Paul,

As all the contributors have have said, you have a talent for photography and have been an inspiration to many. But having watched progress over the last couple of years I recognise how much sheer hard work you have put in to reach the standard you have now achieved. Don't throw it all away because of one little sneak. Why let them win?

Go out, get yourself a front page spread, then get a copy of the paper, show it to the sneak, then roll it tight, and shove it where we'd all like it to go.
        Russell
        Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

I think Paul has ultimately been a victim of the marketplace. I've been following the economics of photography for a while and photos/images just aren't worth what they were in the past. The reasons for that are numerous, but unless you build a niche, or focus (excuse the pun!) on stock and volume sales, pictures taken with an iPhone or a GoPro can be as valuable (in monetary terms) as those taken by photojournalists with expensive kit in the past.
          It's just so damn hard these days, and I'm just sorry that someone with obvious talent like Paul has found it so hard to make the jump. I hope he continues to try :)
          1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

It is so sad how low some people will go.

Good Luck with all that you do Paul.
            Bob Turner
            Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Three things Paul:

One, please don't stop taking photographs. To me, most of the stuff you've done has been an inspiration and a challenge in equal parts.

Two, Jeff's advice is spot on. If you separate your work from your photography and get your employers agreement, that's the way to go.

Three, don't go mirrorless. Seriously, don't go mirrorless. After a 5D mk III you would seriously regret what you see in terms of quality.

Four, don't let the bastards grind you down. This is nothing more than some spineless, snivelling cowardly piece of crap that can't stand someone doing something they can't. As much use and as pleasant as something you step on in the street by accident and wish you hadn't... And your current employer has exonerated you so give it a couple of months and follow Jeff's advice, regularise your working relationship and move on.

Ooops, that's four but what the hell. I've been seething about this most of the day, particularly as I can no longer see your work on Flickr, so I trust you'll forgive me a bit of a miscount.
              EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Hi Paul,

Cannot add anything to whats already been said but good luck and hope to see you back here soon.

Bill.
                7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

I'm a relative newcomer to the group, but even I missed you! Don't give up, you are too good to stop trying!
                  Paul

Comment

I'm saddened on all fronts. Like others I think your work is of excellent quality so I'm saddened that you're in the position of considering giving up something you are good at and enjoy. I'm also saddened, though not surprised, that small minded people resort to the activity you described.

Hopefully if you do decide to 'take a break' it won't be too long before you can return to a place where you have friends.

What ever you decide I'd like to join others in wishing you the best for the future.
                    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Please take your time mate before making any decision ,i hope to see you posting again on here soon.

Comment

Paul - it will be a loss to no longer see your quality pictures, kingfishers, action shots and quite why one person should try to dictate to you whats right and wrong when it comes to what you can do and what photos you should be taking is beyond me.

Perhaps a solution would be to maintain your identity in the forum, using it only outside of work hours and for any journalistic pictures (I'm assuming its these that the complaint is referring to as being not fit for school) that you now have an alias that you keep to yourself.

You have in the past provided many good honest and helpful opinions on pictures and people have also learnt from the pictures you have taken so it would be a shame to lose you.

If, however, you do go....where was that Kingfisher nest..... LOL ;) :)
                        Andy
                        Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
                        EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
                        [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

sorry but I'm at a loss here why can't the forum just be used when at home during your own time
                          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Hi Paul, sorry to hear of your problems. I can understand why you are disheartened but don't give up. Use the gear you have and try to find a different angle. I had my first pictures published in 1978 and know how difficult it has become to sell images now. My early success was with illustrated articles in magazines and this might be a route for you. A change of sport could be worth looking at or a different level of football. There are magazine/ papers concentrating on non-league football and also on rugby. I can get good images from the stands watching Premiership rugby using a 70-200 plus a1.4. I have not posted comments on your work before but all the shots I have seen have been of a high standard. See what indoor sports are on. Success with other areas should help get into where you really want to be. Have you thought of offering workshops in helping others to learn how to use their cameras? You have a good eye for composition and there will be people who would like to learn from you.
                            Graham

Comment

Here's my advice for what its worth.

Don't let em win.

If you want that longer lens, do some weddings and use the pay to get it.

Not everyone is online, let alone the Facebook. Print some images, take tablets with moving slide shows and go to some wedding fares to pick up trade. Or use word of mouth - best advertising there is...

If you feel that you must have a website... give it a name..
                              eg: "Do you remember when!" "Just for that moment" or "Red Circle Photography" - as a play on the circle marking the calendar... pick up weddings, birthdays, christenings... and use that name on the email associated with it. Get a phone/tablet with internet access and email and use it outside of work hours/lunchtimes to keep in contact with potential clients. Then when you have that longer lens, do the sport photography when you can and add it as a sideline.

If not, if you can't face doing all of that. Just take images that make you happy and forget about making money out of it... just don't let em win.
                              Last edited by DeeGee; 16-11-2014, 15:41.
                              Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                              Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by DeeGee View Post
                                Here's my advice for what its worth.

Don't let em win.

Just take images that make you happy and forget about making money out of it... just don't let em win.
                                Plus 1 from me Paul.
                                Peter

Feel free to browse my
                                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Working...
                                X