Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Photography Magazines

It doesn't get any better

I picked another copy of AP from the news stand yesterday, been a while since I did, and found 42% of the magazine was advertising pages.

Perhaps its just me, but I find it difficult to justify paying £2.95, for a magazine carrying that much advertising. I guess the same adverts appearing week after week. At least it seems that way whenever I buy of copy.

Dave
    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post
      Perhaps its just me, but I find it difficult to justify paying £2.95, for a magazine carrying that much advertising. I guess the same adverts appearing week after week. At least it seems that way whenever I buy of copy.

Dave
      agree Dave and the reason I stopped it - its not a magazine for photographers, its a way for the owners to sell advertising space!
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

My wife subscribed for me as a Xmas present. I told her to cancel it and put the money towards lightroom cc and subscribed myself to the eos magazine app. I showed her all the ads when the first copy arrived, it's really not value for money at all.
        Paul

Comment

Wise decision Paul.

In addition to EOS mag, I also subscribe to Photoplus, and yes, like all magazines, it does carry advertising, but not to the ridiculous extent that AP does.

All magazines have to carry a degree of advertising in order to survive, but to coin a favourite phrase of mine, "there's a big difference between scratching your arse, and tearing the skin off"

Dave
          Dave

Comment

I see AP as a monthly magazine that is bulked out with ads to make it a weekly. I subscribed years ago, which is why my wife chose it, but I have to say eos has been very impressive.... streets ahead.
            Paul

Comment

Originally posted by planetc View Post
              I see AP as a monthly magazine that is bulked out with ads to make it a weekly. .
              agree
              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

obviously EOS Magazine, but also when I can find it c't Digital Photography. It's a quarterly mag though, but I've found that quite interesting, and has some good long articles. Has anyone else read this?
                Photoplus also sometimes

Comment

I download magazine copies from my local library....for many of them its what its worth and free. If there is something I particularly like I purchase a paper copy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post
                    Apart from EOS Magazine, which other photo mags do you read?
                    Do you pick up the occasional copy from the news-stand, if there is something of particular interest within, or do you subscribe?.
                    Several years ago I used to pick up the odd magazine but it was so full of adverts and other stuff which was not relevant to me I eventually gave up. Total waste of money.
                    PhotoPlus was one of my favourites.
                    Then I found the EOS Magazine Forum (pre-2009) and have subscribed to the EOS Magazine for a few years. What more do I need?
                    Anything else I can find on the internet.
                    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Working...
                    X