Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightroom - Cloud or Standalone

Good Afternoon,

I've been looking at Lightroom and the available options, currently you can purchase Lightroom 5 as a one-off standalone purchase for circa £90-£100 or it can purchased as a cloud based unit, including Photoshop at £8.57/month. Now there's obviously the financial benefits of a single purchase, but the cloud option includes upgrades and Photoshop, which has the benefits of capability (or is it overkill?) and the potential reduced cost of paying for upgrades (if LR is upgraded annually, LR6 is expected soon).

What decision have other non-professional users made? I'm just weighing up my options.
    Within in my Billingham Hadley Large: Canon EOS 550D [Gripped], EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Tamron 18-270mm Di II VC PZD, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, Kenko Teleplus DG AF Extension Tubes [36+20+12] and Speedlite EX430 II.

Redundant: EF-S 18-55mm lens f/3.5-5.6 IS II and EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Re: Lightroom - Cloud or Standalone

After having grumped at the idea of leasing software I ended up going for the cloud version. For the reasons you mention - no one off payment and all the upgrades rolled in. And for Both products it's too much of a bargain to miss.
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I have gone for cloud too but I only use Photoshop CC and not Lightroom

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

I downloaded the cloud version yesterday. I was told (by someone?) it is all moving to the cloud anyway. A friend purchased the standalone just before xmas, and I'm not convinced it works out better in the long run. Looking at the frequency of updates to photoshop over the years I have been a user you'll spend the money anyway so might as well spread the cost.
        Paul

Comment

I went for the standalone as I don't like the idea of renting and am sure LR5 is going to do everything I need for a long while yet (there are people out there, possibly even on this list, still using LR2 or 3) and, if I really can't live without the latest feature, can always go cloud later.

Cheers,
          John

Comment

So maybe someone can answer this - you opt for the leasing / cloud option, you have a load of photo's to process maybe a wedding or event that you have covered and they need to be sorted ASAP and. . . . . . a builder cuts through the cable for your broadband / the servers go down / someone hacks the software

What do you do? go out and buy a standalone copy as you should have from the start? or just call your 'client / family / friend' and say sorry no can do?

.DAVID.

ps: yes I bought standalone - it works great for me and as for updates / add on's etc. . . . as I said - it works great for me ;-)
            Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by David Stallard View Post
              So maybe someone can answer this - you opt for the leasing / cloud option, you have a load of photo's to process maybe a wedding or event that you have covered and they need to be sorted ASAP and. . . . . . a builder cuts through the cable for your broadband / the servers go down / someone hacks the software

What do you do? go out and buy a standalone copy as you should have from the start? or just call your 'client / family / friend' and say sorry no can do?

.DAVID.
              Although it is Cloud - you can also install it on your local machine and still have full functionality in the event of loss of internet. I think you can use it offline for approx a fortnight before having to authenticate your subscription / licence again.

The only affect it will have is if you have any preset settings you have saved to the cloud rather than locally.

Actually just found this on the Adobe site:

" No, the desktop applications in Creative Cloud, such as Photoshop and Illustrator, are installed directly on your computer, so you don’t need an ongoing Internet connection to use them.

An Internet connection is required the first time you install and license your apps, but you can use the apps in offline mode with a valid software license. The desktop apps will attempt to validate your software licenses every 30 days.

Annual members can use the apps for up to 99 days in offline mode. Month-to-month members can use the software for up to 30 days in offline mode."
              Last edited by Bhuna; 23-01-2015, 17:50.
              Andy
              Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
              EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
              [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
                I went for the standalone as I don't like the idea of renting and am sure LR5 is going to do everything I need for a long while yet (there are people out there, possibly even on this list, still using LR2 or 3) and, if I really can't live without the latest feature, can always go cloud later.

Cheers,
                John
                yep thats the route I went and my thinking too John...
                :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Got the upgrade disc recently. It will do for me as I am useless at PP sp Photoshop would be wasted on me.

Comment

Originally posted by hughbie View Post
                    Got the upgrade disc recently. It will do for me as I am useless at PP sp Photoshop would be wasted on me.
                    thats how I started - now have PS CC...although still useless lol

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

I use the cloud option for LR and CC combined. A real no brainer and minimal up front cost.

Also it allowed me to install a Mac version at no extra cost with my PC still able to run it too.
                      Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

I use the cloud option, gives me all the updates which was my logic.
                        Andy
                        Canon EOS 5D MarkIV, 11-24mm f4, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II USM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 IS II USM, 100mm Macro, 50mm f1.4, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Manfrotto tripod
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberdavis/

Comment

After a little tidy up I'm running my first import. I really didn't know I had that many images. Going to be having a bit of a culling session I think.
                          Paul

Comment

make sure you start straight away using the meta data / keywords - I didn't and it took me 3 months to sort all my images out - you can also on import add keywords which does save a lot of time

Comment

Interesting to see both sides of the argument, I suppose the real question or biting point should be, is it worth taking on the cloud version for access to photoshop, what is the benefit of photoshop to an average amateur photographer?
                              Within in my Billingham Hadley Large: Canon EOS 550D [Gripped], EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Tamron 18-270mm Di II VC PZD, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, Kenko Teleplus DG AF Extension Tubes [36+20+12] and Speedlite EX430 II.

Redundant: EF-S 18-55mm lens f/3.5-5.6 IS II and EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Comment

Working...
                              X