Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lightroom - Cloud or Standalone

Originally posted by PhotoStory View Post
    Interesting to see both sides of the argument, I suppose the real question or biting point should be, is it worth taking on the cloud version for access to photoshop, what is the benefit of photoshop to an average amateur photographer?
    I did it the other way round and bought LR - then later PS CC - as an amateur PS does offer a lot of great features, but its a massive learning curve and months down the line I'm still trying to get my head around all the advance features - If you are going to get PS CC then you have to invest time into learning it, otherwise your wasting your cash.. LR you can download and be doing pretty advanced editing within a day - PS is ongoing
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I'm guessing PS is key for image stacking, astrophotography and making me look thinner, but other benefits do you get from it?
      Within in my Billingham Hadley Large: Canon EOS 550D [Gripped], EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Tamron 18-270mm Di II VC PZD, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, Kenko Teleplus DG AF Extension Tubes [36+20+12] and Speedlite EX430 II.

Redundant: EF-S 18-55mm lens f/3.5-5.6 IS II and EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Comment

TBH lots... LR offers about 50% of the features you get with PS, and I'm still scratching the surface of them - PS is all about control where as LR its more about blanket editing. Its like an image I've just posted using layers & masks, none of that could have been done in LR

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
          make sure you start straight away using the meta data / keywords - I didn't and it took me 3 months to sort all my images out - you can also on import add keywords which does save a lot of time
          On it already, just had a session on the beach with a couple of foster dogs for the rescue website. Keywording as I go.... Still got to go back and do the old stuff though so it'll be a while I expect.
          Paul

Comment

Originally posted by planetc View Post
            On it already, just had a session on the beach with a couple of foster dogs for the rescue website. Keywording as I go.... Still got to go back and do the old stuff though so it'll be a while I expect.
            ... try using the star rating as I find that very handy, this way you can search images by keyword, then rating.. Just make sure all your images aren't 5's

Comment

Stars is how I worked with dpp, then popped them into folders by star rating. I'm playing a little to get a feel for it and what suits me at the moment. Can you nest collections?
              Paul

Comment

think you can nest collections but its something I've not done - using stars with keywords does offer a very good way to filter and find images

Comment

Ha, turns out that the wifes idea of 5 stars is very different to mine..... so glad she doesn't usually have anything to do with it!
                  Paul

Comment

The way I use my stars is for post processing stages.

0 = I've not looked and assessed it yet.
                    1 = not worth bothering doing anything with it.
                    2 = post process it and have another look. Back to 1 if I think nope not worth it.
                    3 = post processed it awaiting publishing / showing off :)
                    4 = showed it off and liked it but not as good as a 5
                    5 = showed it off and liked it, best pics of mine and may print and hang up at home.

:)

I only ever let the wife help me choose between 1 and 2 stars. I choose after post processing if it's a 4 or 5.
                    Last edited by Bhuna; 24-01-2015, 19:24.
                    Andy
                    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
                    EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
                    [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

If you're thinking of buying a new camera soon, it might be worth checking to see if it comes with a free copy of Lightroom - my 6D did last year. This could provide a 'no cost' option for getting started with LR.

While it's true that LR doesn't have as much functionality as PS, as a "casual" user I've found it more intuitive to work with and good enough most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Stegs View Post
                        If you're thinking of buying a new camera soon, it might be worth checking to see if it comes with a free copy of Lightroom - my 6D did last year. This could provide a 'no cost' option for getting started with LR.

While it's true that LR doesn't have as much functionality as PS, as a "casual" user I've found it more intuitive to work with and good enough most of the time.
                        what LR5 ?

Comment

Yes, LR5.6 (which I've subsequently upgraded to 5.7 via online update). I've just had a quick look around and can't find any existing equivalent offers, so perhaps it's no longer available. Sorry, perhaps I should have done that before posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Stegs View Post
                            Yes, LR5.6 (which I've subsequently upgraded to 5.7 via online update). I've just had a quick look around and can't find any existing equivalent offers, so perhaps it's no longer available. Sorry, perhaps I should have done that before posting.
                            Ops - well in that case LR6 must be a lot closer than rumored

Comment

I'm putting the shift on hold for a short while, because I'll shortly be moving house and need to think about serious adult things...
                              Within in my Billingham Hadley Large: Canon EOS 550D [Gripped], EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Tamron 18-270mm Di II VC PZD, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, Kenko Teleplus DG AF Extension Tubes [36+20+12] and Speedlite EX430 II.

Redundant: EF-S 18-55mm lens f/3.5-5.6 IS II and EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoStory View Post
                                I'm putting the shift on hold for a short while, because I'll shortly be moving house and need to think about serious adult things...
                                good move as once you install it you'll be weeks inputting data ! maybe longer depending how many photos you have - it took me 3 mths

Comment

Working...
                                X