Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Safety Shift

Hi All,

Not sure if this subject has ever been mentioned before, if it has then I apologise.

I have never really used Safety Shift in the Past, apart from accidentally once!! but wondered what others do?

As some will know my main passion is aircraft which of course move all over the place and often very fast, therefore I tend to start with settings and stick with them through the display and the sky can change from one part or direction to another, dark to light in one sweep of the camera, and I am not quick enough to change anything that quick. I can often swap ISO on the Fly but not in one sweep of the camera whilst following a Jet.

I try to keep ISO as low as possible for obvious reasons and speed high of course for the Jets, I do have more leeway with Prop Aircraft as I have the speed much lower at 1/320th.

Would be interested in any thoughts and experiences on this.

Regards Paul

Re: Using Safety Shift

Hi Paul - I have a similar problem as I photograph a lot of outdoor sport. I use the same British weather as you do and find it unreliable too!
    I have tried the safety shift option, as well as the more usual shutter priority or aperture priority with fixed iso and let the camera sort out the final parameter.
    With the variable weather and lighting we can get outdoors I try to use a full manual setting as the camera will pick up some colour/shade/shadow variation in the picture and set the last variable accordingly - often giving an image wrongly exposed.
    My subjects can move pretty quickly (but not as fast as your jets!) and I too have little time to make any adjustments to the exposure elements - even if remember to keep an eye on the viewfinder meter.
    Sorry this is not constructive to sort your (and my) problem out - perhaps just some consolation that you are not alone!

David

Comment

Thanks for the reply David, I would be interested in any more replies even if only to say, No I don't use it and this is why, anyone??

Do people not use it because they feel a loss of control??

Regards Paul

Comment

Paul I have never used this but got the manual out and had a go, works in TV and Av as stated but I wonder when you are at an airshow and shooting into a bright sky with a + exposure comp will this negate your settings?

Alan

Comment

Thanks for looking Alan, the Safety shift would only kick in if the camera senses that you can't achieve proper exposure at the settings chosen, so if the light is bright and light it shouldn't change things, if however the sky is dark in one area nd light in another and you swing from light to dark the Camera automatically changes settings.

I have tried it with the system set to change the ISO, have not looked properly yet on the computer but at first glance on the camera, the pics with altered settings look a tad over exposed.

Thanks again

Regards Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pelliot1954
            Thanks for the reply David, I would be interested in any more replies even if only to say, No I don't use it and this is why, anyone??

Do people not use it because they feel a loss of control??
            At least one of my bodies has this feature. On my camera it appeared to be turned on by default(?) and it took me ages to work out why the camera would occasionally set an exposure other than the one I wanted. Once the offending item was located Iturned it off and have never turned it back on...

As far as I can see it's the sort of mode that's meant for the happy snapper settings not the so-called 'Creative Zone' where presumably we should know what we are doing...
            Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
            X