Photoshop Elements 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Photoshop Elements 11

Think of someone who goes out to take photos of say a bird ,and gives a burst to produce 100 or so shots. Then he/she goes out the next day and gives another burst and produces over 200 images
    ????????? I don't think any camera would be able to keep up with a burst of 100 or 200 shots

Imagine the time that the person will spend in front of a computer to process those pictures.
    I very much doubt that anyone who has managed a burst of 200 or even 100 shots would sit at the computer and process them all - a lot will probably be deleted in camera and of those that make it to download, maybe a couple of dozen will be worth processing with the result that the photographer will end up with a small number of photographs he can be proud of rather than just a load of snaps

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Well I managed to save a PDF file saying how to use DPP4 and it really does look great, so I look forward to using it

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post

I very much doubt that anyone who has managed a burst of 200 or even 100 shots would sit at the computer and process them all - a lot will probably be deleted in camera and of those that make it to download, maybe a couple of dozen will be worth processing with the result that the photographer will end up with a small number of photographs he can be proud of rather than just a load of snaps

Stan
        Exactly my way of working. I wish I could go out and shoot every day, all day but work dictates that I cannot. I'd rather rattle off as many as I can in a given location and then sort through them later and process the ones that are worthy. I actually really enjoy the processing side as much as the capturing side.
        When I started out a few years back it was always in JPEG, until I discovered the vast amount of flexibility that RAW gives me. No going back now. However, with the 7D2 taking CF and SD cards I can, should I wish, shoot both on different cards.
        I do appreciate that it is down to the user to choose and in that case neither is right or wrong
        Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Apologies. I must correct myself. What I meant to say is to give bursts of various duration to bring your photos up to say 200 or 300 per day.NOT a continuous burst,non stop,of 200-300 shots. I would have thought that anyone with some experience would have realised that it was NOT possible!!! I have been out with a friend of mine (who used to be on the forum before) and in a day he would take over 350 shots whilst I would average around 150- a full day of photographing.

I must also mention that I do not delete any of my pictures in camera but wait to home, download the pictures and then start deleting the ones I don't like. Of course each one has got his/her modus operandi.
          Last edited by Nathaniel; 11-05-2016, 20:52.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
            same here, cards are cheap so gather all the Raw data ..In my opinion
            Card I use is a 32GB

Comment

Originally posted by Dave61 View Post
              Card I use is a 32GB
              My main CF card is 32gb as well
              Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                Apologies. I must correct myself. What I meant to say is to give bursts of various duration to bring your photos up to say 200 or 300 per day.NOT a continuous burst,non stop,of 200-300 shots. I would have thought that anyone with some experience would have realised that it was NOT possible!!! I have been out with a friend of mine (who used to be on the forum before) and in a day he would take over 350 shots whilst I would average around 150- a full day of photographing.

I must also mention that I do not delete any of my pictures in camera but wait to home, download the pictures and then start deleting the ones I don't like. Of course each one has got his/her modus operandi.
                thats why you cherry pick Nat, no one in there right mind would process every image on the camera - On my recent trip I filled 4 cards, but at a guess I will process 100-150 photos over the next few weeks.

But as I have said to you before processing a Raw image takes seconds more than a Jpeg but offers you far more chances to rescue shadows, blown highlights or over and under exposed images..

Originally posted by Parsen66 View Post
                My main CF card is 32gb as well
                34's & 68's here, but the way I look at it cards are cheap time and traveling isn't, so if you need to take 1 or 100 in a location it doesn't matter, you then just flag the one worth processing and delete the vast amount of the others
                Last edited by Tigger; 12-05-2016, 05:52.
                :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

[QUOTE=Tigger;328742]thats why you cherry pick Nat, no one in there right mind would process every image on the camera - On my recent trip I filled 4 cards, but at a guess I will process 100-150 photos over the next few weeks.

I have nothing against RAw or those photographers who prefer to use Raw. My main argument is the time factor. You have said you filled 4 cards on holiday and whittling it down to say 150 would take some time; one cannot delete willy nilly the pictures. Then you say that you have to process the remainder 100-150 photos over the next few weeks- thats too long time wise, as I would like to move on to the next series of photos to take. For example I have a special concert to photograph tomorrow and I can happily do that as I do not have any backlog or buffers photographically, to process. Don't get me wrong. I do take RAW/Jpeg images but I find that I have to first look at my jpeg images to see how they have turned out and then the corresponding RAW images, before I start deleting the ones I don't like.
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

I have nothing against RAw or those photographers who prefer to use Raw. My main argument is the time factor. You have said you filled 4 cards on holiday and whittling it down to say 150 would take some time; one cannot delete willy nilly the pictures. Then you say that you have to process the remainder 100-150 photos over the next few weeks- thats too long time wise, as I would like to move on to the next series of photos to take. For example I have a special concert to photograph tomorrow and I can happily do that as I do not have any backlog or buffers photographically, to process. Don't get me wrong. I do take RAW/Jpeg images but I find that I have to first look at my jpeg images to see how they have turned out and then the corresponding RAW images, before I start deleting the ones I don't like.
                    it takes no time to filter the images for processing - you open them in LR and view them as thumbnails, flaging the ones to be edited..Takes longer to import than deciding which to process

The reason it takes me so long is I work all day on my PC and after being away for 2 weeks have a lot of work to catch up with, plus when I finish work I don't like to sit at my desk processing, so images get processed whilst having lunch or an hour or so during the weekend - Plus I don't like to process all my images at once and will sometimes return months later..

Also when processing you can batch process and the wedding I did last year I processed over 400 images during the day, some going into PS as well, all Raw images ..

I'm not saying you should or must shoot in Raw - I WANT TO GET THAT CLEAR just in case some think I am , its just it takes no extra time but offers you a chance to pull something from a shot you perhaps could never take again - just think if you shot a bird doing something amazing, but it was in heavy shadow as you needed to get the shot quickly so couldn't adjust for the exposure, with a Raw file you would stand a very good chance of pulling something out of the image, a Jpeg unlikely without degrading the image
                    Last edited by Tigger; 12-05-2016, 09:05.

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Some very good points being put across. Today I will take it off burst mode as I call it and try Raw, but I do think my main choice will be Jpeg.

Comment

Some very good points being put across. Today I will take it off burst mode as I call it and try Raw, but I do think my main choice will be Jpeg.
                        you do know you can shoot in high speed mode / burst using Raw

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                          you do know you can shoot in high speed mode / burst using Raw
                          Hi Ian, yes I know so think for today I will put it back on high speed mode. Question now, can the monthly comp be in Raw ?

Comment

Ian, I take your points quite seriously and I know you are trying to help in the best way possible. Perhaps one of my drawbacks is that I am not as good as you or many of the others in post processing and so it take me far longer even to process the few Ras/Jpeg images I take. I am sure you understand.

Comment

No one has mentioned that when you import into LR, the original thumbnail is a JPEG (at least that is my understanding) so the process of sifting through the keepers takes the same time whether shooting RAW or jpeg. I must agree with most of what Ian says though re saving shots. You can shoot a in RAW, and save what appears to by a completely black image, where as JPEG would be a struggle at best. It took me a while to change over to RAW, but, no looking back now!

As far as shooting in RAW for the comp, any image you shoot in RAW, will require processing and the resulting image will be a jpeg anyway.
                              Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                              Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Hi Ian, yes I know so think for today I will put it back on high speed mode. Question now, can the monthly comp be in Raw ?
                                you can submit any type of image so long as it was taken with a Canon

Ian, I take your points quite seriously and I know you are trying to help in the best way possible. Perhaps one of my drawbacks is that I am not as good as you or many of the others in post processing and so it take me far longer even to process the few Ras/Jpeg images I take. I am sure you understand.
                                OK no problem :0)

Comment

Working...
                                X