Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Photoshop Elements 11

Originally posted by digiman View Post
    No one has mentioned that when you import into LR, the original thumbnail is a JPEG (at least that is my understanding) so the process of sifting through the keepers takes the same time whether shooting RAW or jpeg. I must agree with most of what Ian says though re saving shots. You can shoot a in RAW, and save what appears to by a completely black image, where as JPEG would be a struggle at best. It took me a while to change over to RAW, but, no looking back now!

I didn't know that, just assumed LR they were small Raw images
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
      As I say, it is my understanding, but I could very well be wrong
      Garry Macdonald on Flickr
      Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Thanks Ian on the comp answer

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
          My understanding also is that each raw file has a small jpeg embedded into it. That's what you see as thumbnails in Finder or Explorer depending on what OS you use.

Out of interest, there's a piece of software called exiftool that you can use to extract these jpegs to upload. Sort of like taking raw and jpeg but without saving the jpeg separately...
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave61 View Post
            Thanks Ian on the comp answer
            Just bare in mind, that the comp will be a processed image for posting. To export from any program, the image needs to be changed from RAW to jpeg or another non RAW file type. This will be a part of your processing workflow though, so nothing to worry yourself about

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
              Out of interest, there's a piece of software called exiftool that you can use to extract these jpegs to upload. Sort of like taking raw and jpeg but without saving the jpeg separately...
              Thanks for that tip Andy

Comment

No problem Garry
                EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

thanks for explaining that Andy

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

The advice coming out of this thread is that you should shoot RAW, take hundreds of images in the hope that some of them will be acceptable and not worry too much about exposure as this can be corrected in post-processing.

An alternative is to experiment with Picture Style and other camera settings so that JPEGs give the quality you want, concentrate on composing the image before pressing the shutter button and learn how to expose correctly.

Both are perfectly good methods of working and I would hesitate to recommend one over the other without first knowing more about a photographer and what they wish to achieve. However, I would venture to suggest that the second method will teach you more about photography and is a good way to start for a newcomer to EOS cameras.
                    Robert
                    robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

thanks for explaining that Andy I presume thats how you see images on the screen

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
                        The advice coming out of this thread is that you should shoot RAW, take hundreds of images in the hope that some of them will be acceptable and not worry too much about exposure as this can be corrected in post-processing.

no thats not the case - its about offering you more control when processing the image

Comment

Both are perfectly good methods of working and I would hesitate to recommend one over the other without first knowing more about a photographer and what they wish to achieve. However, I would venture to suggest that the second method will teach you more about photography and is a good way to start for a newcomer to EOS cameras.
                          Fair comment Robert! But, I would say that the control RAW images gives you without any extra work in processing is the main advantage.

I would further say that shooting in both RAW and JPEG is the better way for a newb to start. This gives the settings on the camera and a nice raw image to play with on import
                          Last edited by digiman; 12-05-2016, 10:15.

Comment

Well I did Raw+Jpeg, got them on the laptop and had a quick look in DDP 4 and wow that is something else. It will show the AF Points which was an ouch for me lol, but I am looking forward to trying to learn with it.

Comment

An alternative is to experiment with Picture Style and other camera settings so that JPEGs give the quality you want, concentrate on composing the image before pressing the shutter button and learn how to expose correctly.

Hi Robert where on my 70D is Picture style ? Just found it now
                              Last edited by Dave61; 12-05-2016, 16:47.

Comment

As I want to really learn about the 70D settings I am going to leave Raw for a bit. Get my head round all the settings and how I can use them, then once I am happy with how it all works then I will try Raw, but my main thing is to learn the settings first and what can be done

Comment

Working...
                                X