Disaster at Elliott Towers!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disaster at Elliott Towers!!!

Thanks to Everyone for their good wishes and particularly to Colin for the promise of the Cheque and the Food Parcel, strangely it hasn't arrived yet!!!

The lens is still away, I will let everyone know how it performs and whether it costs me any more than the original quote of £102, not a massive amount I know but enough for a moment of stupidity and enough that SWMBO can only have the Left Boot of the Pair of Boots she wanted for Xmas, the shop have promised to hold on to the Right one till next year which I thought was really good of them!!!!

Paul

Comment

SWMBO here.

I came across this by acccident!!! Broke the lens!! I didn't even know he had purchased it in the first place. AND.. if Ii don't get the right boot as well as the left for Christmas, would anyone be able to put him up until he has eaten enough Humble Pie!!!!!

Anyway, how much do these lenses cost? he told me the last one he got, a Canon Wideangle Lens for Landscapes was about £30???

Can anyone help?

Sue

Comment

Hi Sue, Mmmmm....Yeah sounds about right....£30ish....give or take a bit

Comment

Hello Sue

£30 ish. If you shop around maybe £28. If they have a red line around the front, it signifies that they are Canon "Bargain" lenses, so they are the ones to go for.

Whilst we are on the subject, with the VAT going up on 4th January, it may be an idea to let him buy a couple of lenses before then. No point in giving extra money to the Treasury.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
            . . . . . . If they have a red line around the front, it signifies that they are Canon "Bargain" lenses, so they are the ones to go for.

Whilst we are on the subject, with the VAT going up on 4th January, it may be an idea to let him buy a couple of lenses before then. No point in giving extra money to the Treasury.

Colin
            Hi Sue,
            just to help a bit, there is another series of lenses as well, they have an "L" in the name . . . that stands for "Lowest Cost", well worth picking up one or two of those as well before the VAT rise

hope this helps!!!
            David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
            All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

Speaking of disasters, how about this? I recently returned to Manchester airport following a fortnight in the sun and boarded the airport bus to take me and my wife to the car-park. About 20 minutes later we were a few miles down the motorway on our way home when it hit me - I had left my camera bag on the bus!!!
              Now, this would have been bad enough, but I did the same on a Swiss train a few years ago. Luckily, I remembered in time and dashed back to the carriage before it left the station.
              My wife was unexpectedly calm - calmer than me which is unusual. We hastily left the motorway and dashed back to the car-park. Amazingly, the same bus was waiting to enter the car-park again, so I stopped in front of it and the driver, bless him, had spotted the bag and put it safely by the side of him. Fortunately, he remembered us and handed it over.
              Phew! My new year's resolution is to keep me bag slung over my shoulder at all times.
              EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

I can't envisage a situation where I could leave the camera bag behind ............................. leave the wife behind, yes, but not the cameras!

Colin
                Colin

Comment

In the past I have seriously considered leaving the kids behind

Comment

Thanks All for the replies, her indoors has read with great interest but has now started asking questions about Lenses with Red Rings on and how much do they really cost!!!! Hmmmm.

Close thing there Deva, lucky to get your bag back I think!!

In regard to Colin's comment ref leaving the wife behind, I did try this last week, xmas shopping in Lincoln I was tempted by Jessops, Sue followed me in and I came out empty handed, tried again at LCE and Sue said "I will go into House of Frazer and look for a Leather Jacket"...............Result!!!!....... Into LCE empty handed, out of LCE with a new 430EXii for a second flash.

Result No 2, Sue says she will pay for it for Xmas!!

Not seen the cash yet mind you!!

Have already used the flash as a dual set up with my 580 on Saturday to do some portraits of a friends Daughters, will post some when I dare for C&C

Paul

Comment

My wife is full of surprises. Not only was she cool about the bag debacle she has come up with a nifty-fifty for Christmas. Incidentally, is this lens (the 1.8 version) always so noisy?
                      Happy Christmas to all.

Deva
                      EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

Originally posted by Deva32 View Post
                        Incidentally, is this lens (the 1.8 version) always so noisy?
                        Yes.

Colin
                        Colin

Comment

Hello All,

Update on the Lens Disaster, after hearing nothing from Canon UK after 3 weeks, I phoned them on Friday for an update, not impressed!!!

They said they were waiting for me to give them the go-ahead to effect the repair. I had not been asked to give a go-ahead as I reminded them, they told me they had written to me with a new estimate of £368!!! rather than the £102 and emailed me too.
                          I reminded them it was Christmas time and the post would be slow and found they had sent the email to the wrong address!!!

So, even more in need of food parcels, £368 for a moment of stupidity, lesson learned at Elliott Towers................ Never leave Camera and Lenses standing unused on a Tripod!!!!

Perhaps I should add a Post to the Thread about designing a new Lens........................Can we have one that Bounces!!!

Paul

Comment

I imagine that will cost you a new frock for SWMBO as well ;-)

Well at £368 can your insurance help out ??

Comment

Working...
                            X