Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garden Office/Studio

Hi all,

I've decided to take the plunge and invest in a fully insulated Garden Office which will used as a studio.

I have a limit on the size I can install and it will be 18' long, 10' deep and the useable height inside is 7'1" falling to 6'.6".
    Ideally I would want something taller but anything above 8' 2" is likely to require planning permission and I don't want to go down that route.
    I could go for a longer unit but the prices go up quite considerably and SWMBO would rather I don't take over the whole garden!

So the size has been decided on and the unit we want (Dunster Helena) has been chosen.

Now waiting on the chap to come along to price up removing some conifers from the garden and laying a concrete base down for the unit.
    There has been a surge in demand through the Covid-19 crisis and the estimated time for delivery is about three to four weeks.
    Plenty of time to get the groundworks in beforehand then.

The unit is self assembly but I will be getting a friend/handyman to do this with me doing the electrics and a second pair of hands when needed.

Once done, One end of the studio will be having my Lastolite Hilite 6x7 background. This will have to be used in Landscape orientation due to the roof pitch.
    I intend to mount a wall/ceiling mounted backdrop system as well (any thoughts on those welcome)

I have normal lighting stands but will invest in some C-stands with booms and casters for my key and fill lights.
    I already own various modifiers/softboxes etc

My lighting consists of two Lastolite 400watt mains powered strobes which light the Hilite background. Two Pixapro Citi600 and two pika200 battery strobes.

Anyone else on here got something similar and if so, any pointers, tips, hints or other stuff that might be needed to complete the studio ?
    Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

They are lovely units, not got one myself, but know a farmer friend who's wife uses one as a pottery studio. I could never bring myself to suggest to the wife I have one, she can't understand why I got nine sheds scattered around the place.
    Best of luck with project, post a picture diary of your progress with the construction - start to finish.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
      They are lovely units, not got one myself, but know a farmer friend who's wife uses one as a pottery studio. I could never bring myself to suggest to the wife I have one, she can't understand why I got nine sheds scattered around the place.
      Best of luck with project, post a picture diary of your progress with the construction - start to finish.
      Cheers Trev,

I will certainly post up pictures of the construction and completion.
      My other half is more than happy, what with me escaping to the boat as well, I can keep right out of her way
      Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

I had a similar set up at my last house. I found the lighting stands to be a nuisance and installed a track system. I have done the same in my new studio ait keeps the floor space clear and gets rid of cables tailing over the floor. I got the track from Karlu.
        Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SpringfieldPhoto View Post
          I had a similar set up at my last house. I found the lighting stands to be a nuisance and installed a track system. I have done the same in my new studio ait keeps the floor space clear and gets rid of cables tailing over the floor. I got the track from Karlu.
          Cheers Alan,

i don’t think the track system will work due to low ceiling height ?
          The Pixapro strobes use lithium rechargeable batteries so no cables thankfully.
          Only my two strobes for the Hilite system are mains powered and they shouldn’t get in the way being right at the back of the studio.
          Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Just a little update to this thread.
            A before shot...

Before constuction by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

Ground works have been started.
            The conifers removed...

IMG_1576 by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

Top soil removed and levelled off, area marked out and readied...

Ready for the "Big Pour" by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

Concrete slab is in the process of going down today/tomorrow...Pictures to follow.

Hopefully the garden office itself will arrive in the next few weeks and then stage two can begin
            Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Looks a mammoth task but you seem to have it under control Jeff, you sure it is a studio not a cat rescue centre?

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy M View Post
                Looks a mammoth task but you seem to have it under control Jeff, you sure it is a studio not a cat rescue centre?
                Well.....you say that .

Boris checking out the slab.....All cats kept in until slab was sufficiently dry

Boris checking out the slab by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

First two sections of the slab poured today. Should be finished tomorrow.

Concrete slab first stage poured by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Excellent Jeff, nothing like a days concreting, always say it's compatible with a day's logging - nothing to choose between them!
                  Love pic of Boris, to this day I have a set of cat prints running across the yard from when I concreted it, our cat Pipper decided to leave her signature.
                  Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
                    Excellent Jeff, nothing like a days concreting, always say it's compatible with a day's logging - nothing to choose between them!
                    Love pic of Boris, to this day I have a set of cat prints running across the yard from when I concreted it, our cat Pipper decided to leave her signature.
                    I'd love to say I had a part in the concrete pour......but the only pouring I was doing was making the drinks for the builder
                    Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Last day of the 'pour' weather permitting today.....
                      Boris is staging a protest sit in/lay in

3/4 of the pour done by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

3/4 of the pour done by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr
                      Regards,

Jeff

Comment

The last section was poured on Friday. Next week, new fence panels, gravel boards and posts to replace the ones on the left, all to be stained the same. Also the concrete slab striking off. After that, it's just a matter of waiting for delivery of the Office and then the real fun begins

10th September by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr
                        Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Great set of pics and updates, love your cat keeping an eye on how the work is progressing.
                          It is a lot of planning and work to achieve the office, but it will be worth it.
                          Rose

Comment

Good to see the slab down Jeff, good bit of trowelling around the edge.
                            Trev

Flickr:

Comment

My other half is busy staining the fence panels that are remaining today.
                              The new ones will be treated to the same once in .
                              Even though they won’t be really seen when the building is constructed, it’s nice to know that they are done and will hopefully last a good while .
                              Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X