No announcement yet.

Canon R6 mkII help needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's true that ALL modern mirroress cameras are complicated but the rewards that are available, if you take the time to learn them, are amazing. The R6 Mk II is a very good camera, I have a student that uses one. It does take a bit of learning but that was true of every development in photography. There are some excellent guids to using these modern beasts and I have had great success with people I have taught using these guides.
    Last edited by SpringfieldPhoto; 06-01-2024, 10:31.
    Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

I do sympathise Stephen, the complexities can be overwhelming…I think you’ve bravely and sensibly made the right decision for you now. Have you considered a proper manual option…like a Leica Q3…you can use it totally manually or use aperture priority and program…and it has autofocus if you need it. All Leicas are designed for simple operation.. similarly the M with interchangeable lenses or SL for an SLR like camera. You can get a great used camera for the cost of your canon gear. I wish Canon would make similar simpler options. Just a thought to help you enjoy photography again.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

This is a crying shame in my opinion. I was hoping perhaps someone on the Forum would have seen this that lives in the Hereford area and contacted Stephen to offer a little help and perhaps tuition.
        Wish I lived a little closer I'm sure we could have sorted out some of the problems he's struggling with.

Is there no one on the Forum reading this in the Hereford area that can't just contact Stephen to offer a little guidance.
        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

I agree with Trev. Despite not using Canon anymore I have helped 3 people to learn their Canon kit. The tech is ver daunting , but the rewards are considerable. I am a bit too far fro Hereford to be of help, unfortunately.
          Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Probably a good choice Stephen, if it's not for you, then it's not for you. It's a shame that you've had to struggle on with it.

If youre an Eos magazine subscriber you can always contact them for free advice at any time. I didn't know which Speedlite to purchase for my 40d that would work on my eos film cameras, so i sent them an email and they got back to me with plenty of options. Really helpful. If you don't, it could be worth the £27.99 a year for the technical help alone, plus the magazine has a lot of info on the mirrorless models now, it's not all DSLR based. So that would be an added benefit.

I also noticed that you said you downloaded DPP 1.18.10. DPP is on version 4 now. Could this be why your images didn't look right on the computer as the older software isn't capable of reading a RAW file of higher/ newer quality? From a mirrorless camera I mean, as I would imagine DPP 1 is only for old DSLRs.
            I could be wrong on that as I don't really understand software, but it's worth looking into
            Last edited by NathCarr91; 06-01-2024, 10:59.

Comment

Thank you all for the kind messages and advice.
              As many of you know I have disabilities which means getting out isn't as often as I would like and walking is difficult and somewhat painful.
              Yet I do push myself and do things that I shouldn't (no pain, no gain).​

Originally posted by NathCarr91 View Post
              I also noticed that you said you downloaded DPP 1.18.10. DPP is on version 4 now. Could this be why your images didn't look right on the computer as the older software isn't capable of reading a RAW file of higher/ newer quality? From a mirrorless camera I mean, as I would imagine DPP 1 is only for old DSLRs.
              I could be wrong on that as I don't really understand software, but it's worth looking into
              It was a mis-type, I meant I downloaded DPP 4.18.10
              I also have DPP 3.14.40 which I preferred.
              Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
              Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

I have removed my classified adverts.
                I will give the camera & lenses another try failing that I will send the camera to Canon for checking.

Stephen

flickr

Comment

That's great that you're going to give it another go Stephen .
                  Hope this time round is better for you.

There is a photography show coming up at the NEC in Birmingham on the 16th-19th of March. Canon will be there. Could always head up and get hands on with them. I'm sure they'd help out.

Comment

Good to hear Stephen, good advice from Nat. Have you considered contacting or even taking a trip over to Carmarthen Camera's where I believe you bought the camera and lens. I'm sure they would be only to willing to give you advice.
                    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

The Canon people at the NEC were very good taking about a half hour helping me sort my Pro10 printer settings…so zi expect they’ll help
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

From facebook…someone posted this saying it sorted their focussing issues image.png
                        Attached Files
                        Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Originally posted by NathCarr91 View Post
                          That's great that you're going to give it another go Stephen .
                          Hope this time round is better for you.

There is a photography show coming up at the NEC in Birmingham on the 16th-19th of March. Canon will be there. Could always head up and get hands on with them. I'm sure they'd help out.

Thanks Nat

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
                          Good to hear Stephen, good advice from Nat. Have you considered contacting or even taking a trip over to Carmarthen Camera's where I believe you bought the camera and lens. I'm sure they would be only to willing to give you advice.
                          Thanks Trev
                          It's a 95 mile (one way) trip, so a bit far.​
                          Originally posted by @imagesBV View Post
                          From facebook…someone posted this saying it sorted their focussing issues image.png
                          Thanks Brian.
                          I have been reading posts on FB and admiring the images posted on the Canon R6 mkII groups.

flickr

Comment

Glad to see your giving it another try Stephen
                            Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Today (9th March 2024) i decided to grab the R6 mkII and lenses and try some indoor shots.
                              I was photographing my large 5 foot aquarium.
                              I initially took some images using the RF24-105mm f/4L which (to my surprise) came out fine (first time using the 24-105mm lens).
                              Then I switched to the RF100-500mm f4.5-7.1L lens to take some close up of the fish.
                              I was sat at some 8 foot (2.4m) (twice the minimum focal distance @500mm) away from the aquarium and struggled to get a decent image.
                              I tried Tv and Av and even manual but could not get a decent image.
                              I noticed the AF point was somewhat far over to the left and could see a 'hand symbol' and the letters 'ES' in the viewfinder.
                              I managed to fiddle with the dials and move the strange AF point (strange triangle shape) but still no decent image.
                              I'm now even more frustrated.

My thoughts are quite negative towards the camera and lenses combination and feel I have wasted £6400+ of my money.
                              My thoughts are quite negative; I feel like just dumping the camera and lenses (I'm so frustrated and quite upset).
                              I've been using D-SLR cameras and lenses since 2007 (17 years) and wish I still had a D-SLR camera and lenses (5D mkIV, 7D mkII or even a 90D + lenses).

If a member is interested in my Canon kit then make me an offer.
                              I have the Canon EOS R6 Mark II + Canon RF 24-105mm f4L kit plus an extra Canon battery.
                              Also the Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L.
                              All bought in UK from recognised Canon retailers, in original boxes and under warranty (will include original invoices).

Thanks
                              Stephen​

flickr

Comment

Just a thought - what shutter speeds were you getting/using on the 100-500? Is it just a case of blur/shake due to slow speeds being indoors and shooting through glass? I have tried shooting our aquarium and even in good light the results were not great using a short lens never mind a telephoto. Maybe post a sample with the exif data which might help someone offer better advice and help.
                                ---------------------
                                Ian C.

Comment

Working...
                                X