Our Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our Challenge

For 2 or 3 months now the entries into the challenge have been low, this month I set what I thought would be an idea for all a colour ( which is normally a popular subject) , plus the added thought of normal chocolates. But still I have only ( with 5 days to go) got 3 entries. I have never seen a negative comment by the judge, most entries do it for the fun, so why do we not get more people participating? Love to know why you the members can’t be bothered to try it out?

I've been guilty of not entering anything for about 8/9 months now, but that isn't for the want of trying.

My reason is purely the fact of work getting in the way, I run my own business and am doing 60+ hours every week plus the normal routine stuff of life. Up until recently I haven't touched my camera all year, I've even had to leave my camera club because I just don't have time for it anymore. I agree that the challenges have had great topics and it's a real shame that the entries are low. However you'll be pleased to know that I've found some time today to do my image, and had a lot of fun doing it, and it's currently uploading to my computer so hopefully this will be the start of myself entering more again.

Maybe it's just a case of a lot of people are busy with life and just not posting because of limited time, rather than just not being bothered.

Comment

Your comments reflect the same thoughts that I have been having David, I do not know what the answer is, the forum itself seems to have been a lot quieter recently.

NathCarr91 maybe right, life is busier. Perhaps the Challenge could be extended to a longer period?

Ian
      Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

I think Nathan has a valid thought; this year for example I have had periods of weeks at a time where life has been hectic and I’ve not thought even about my camera or going out to take any photos.
        so maybe a longer period as Ian suggests maybe an idea?

I like our Challenge, it makes me think and try to come up with an image. I also like to see how other members interpret the theme.

I would recommend participation in our Challenge, it was scary the first time I was lucky enough to be in top place and then thinking of a theme and communicating the results but I learnt as I went along - and this is a friendly bunch! (is the collective term for photographers’a bunch’?)

Rose

Comment

I'm with Ian, maybe a longer running time is what's needed. Maybe 6 weeks rather than a month? Take the last challenge for example 'halloween' by Steven. Great challenge idea, but my thought with that was, most people won't have started getting ready for Halloween until the last week of October, which really limits the amount of time people have to get a picture, (well done to those how had the time before hand.) I did think that that challenge would have been better running over by a week so that people had a chance to take some images on Halloween and then upload them, rather than the competition finishing on the 31st and people maybe having to rush around to get it uploaded and edited.

On another note, the forum monthly theme had a similar response rate a few months and that was stopped for a while, it seems to be picking up again now which is great, but I've noticed it's been set for 2 months the last couple of times now. So maybe Ian's suggestion of a longer time period is the answer.

The forum is definitely quieter on the photo uploads lately, like I said myself, I haven't uploaded a single picture since March/April I think the last one I uploaded was a waterfall one in the monthly theme. Other than that nothing. But remained active with my comments etc.

I do hope it picks up again soon, which I'm sure it will in the new year, but life certainly is a lot busier than it used to be, everybody I speak to all have similar struggles in life now, which is finding the time to focus on the things they like and themselves.

​​​​​​Finally, Rose I think you're right, a collective of term for photographers is a bunch, if it isn't, then it should be

Comment

I plead guilty, but in my defence I will state that I've never entered a photographic competition or been a member of a camera club.
            The reason I've never entered the 'Challenge' is that in the remote possibility I should win - strange things have happened in my life before. I would not have the interest to organise or judge the next one.
            I don't go out taking pictures, I take pictures when I'm out - record shots. The chance of me seeing a fox, badger or chocolate coloured red leg turkey with a bar of chocolate up in the fields or woods is highly unlikely.
            However, seeing it's you David I have pulled out all the stops and I'm submitting this masterpiece for inclusion in the 'Challenge'. I've deprived it of any contact with DPP or Photoshop - I can be hard and mean at times!

On a serious note I think the Challenge has run it time I would have a completely different format.
            Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

If I could offer a suggestion?

I don't think Trev is the only person that goes out just to take pictures and record images. There will be alot of people who just take what they see and don't go out to try and get something for a challenge.

What if we didn't set a theme for the challenge and let the challenge be 'any picture taken within that 30 day period' and the person who wins the previous month judges and picks a winner for that month, with the challenge still continuing as any image within a 30 day period. My thoughts are that most have something (whatever the image may be) that they have taken within a 30 day period, but not necessarily fit a theme. Which might encourage more entering. I know in the past I've had some images and thought, it's a shame that this wasn't the challenge this month.

The only downside of this is that there will be a big selection of images and if the member that month is really into landscapes or nature then the likelihood is that a landscape or nature image will probably win so something might have to be done to avoid choosing based on biases. Maybe just the honour system.

Hope I've explained this well enough

Comment

Originally posted by NathCarr91 View Post
                If I could offer a suggestion?

I don't think Trev is the only person that goes out just to take pictures and record images. There will be alot of people who just take what they see and don't go out to try and get something for a challenge.

What if we didn't set a theme for the challenge and let the challenge be 'any picture taken within that 30 day period' and the person who wins the previous month judges and picks a winner for that month, with the challenge still continuing as any image within a 30 day period. My thoughts are that most have something (whatever the image may be) that they have taken within a 30 day period, but not necessarily fit a theme. Which might encourage more entering. I know in the past I've had some images and thought, it's a shame that this wasn't the challenge this month.

The only downside of this is that there will be a big selection of images and if the member that month is really into landscapes or nature then the likelihood is that a landscape or nature image will probably win so something might have to be done to avoid choosing based on biases. Maybe just the honour system.

Hope I've explained this well enough
                That’s the idea I had in mind. If I were setting the challenge, it would be any picture taken within the previous month. The winner would be no other than the picture I like no technical opinions would be given, no second and no third.
                Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post

That’s the idea I had in mind. If I were setting the challenge, it would be any picture taken within the previous month. The winner would be no other than the picture I like no technical opinions would be given, no second and no third.
                  Yeah I think that's probably a good way to go for a few months, see what happens at least. Can't hurt to try it out. I also thought that not offering 2nd or 3rd would be a good idea.

Sometimes people feel worse if they end up in top 3, especially newbies and if they genuinely feel that their image was better than the ones that won. I've certainly felt that way in club competitions before (in my early days that is, now I'm more than happy to make it to the top 3 ). Guess sometimes people don't like to feel like they're being stacked against each other. I had one judge say my picture was the most striking image out of the batch and couldn't stop looking at it, but then placed it 3rd!

I think at worst case I would probably do a 1st place and then a highly commended.

Comment

I'd go with that Trev.
                    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

I agree with everything said here. I'm new in every sense and noticed the challenges were quiet as opposed to comments/threads - for a photography forum.

Id rather get lost in the crowd in a challenge than be 1 of a few entries. We get great feedback on our own threads we start, if that makes sense?

9 times out of 10 i'm snapping at work but i can and im out and about. My camera bag is strapped to the passengers seat with all my bits and tripod is in the back. I do like the challenge of finding a theme, it encourages creativity but id agree that any image, even with the danger of bias should be at least tested to see if the entries come in. if thats really popular, add another themed challenge or do both!
                      Steve

We're a' Jock Tamson's bairns ;)

Flickr

EOS R, RF 24-105 L, 70D EF 18-55mm IS, EF 75-300mm, EF10-18mm IS STM & Nifty 50 STM.

Comment

Although you're new to the forum Steven, you're one of the rare ones who put themselves out there straight away posting your images when you joined up it takes confidence to do that.

I agree with you about themed challenges making you think creatively, I've taken images I'd never have tried before. Trouble is though, not all photographers like to try new things. Like some will just purely do macro or portrait work and nothing else. Least the 'any image' theme would hopefully encourage more entries

Comment

One thing I was told in the military was never volunteer for anything.
                          However I’m prepared to give my idea a go if everyone is agreeable.
                          Basically a ‘Challenge’ submit any picture taken within the month of the challenge, the picture I like - the one I would like to see hanging on my wall will be deemed the winner. That member will take on the following months challenge.

How this is put into operation I don’t know with the existing challenge still running. I would have it in mind to start in the New Year - January 1st. If this idea is agreeable to all on here.I will put together a few simple ‘Do’s and Dont’s based on the current challenge.
                          Over to you!
                          Last edited by Trev B; 28-11-2023, 11:13.
                          Trev

Flickr:

Comment

One thing I was told in the military never was volunteer for anything.
                            However I’m prepared to give my idea a go if everyone is agreeable.
                            Basically a ‘Challenge’ submit any picture taken within the month of the challenge, the picture I like - the one I would like to see hanging on my wall will be deemed the winner. That member will take on the following months challenge.

How this is put into operation I don’t know with the existing challenge still running. I would have it in mind to start in the New Year - January 1st. If this idea is agreeable to all on here.I will put together a few simple ‘Do’s and Dont’s based on the current challenge.
                            Over to you!
                            Well done that man!
                            John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Thanks for all the great ideas, the one thing that I have enjoyed over the years is the thought of stretching my photographic abilities and covering new subjects to challenge myself. I can see the advantage of opening it up to shots within that month and that would allow those that have not got the time to find individual themes, but I can also see the disadvantages for a judge that has to have an opinion on so many subjects.
                              But I think maybe a trial of six months of this new way and discuss it after that would be a good idea, what does Admin think of this as well?

Comment

Working...
                              X