No announcement yet.

Our Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, just about got to grips with it.....though I was awake 4.30am trying to sort out a planning problem for January....that doesnt happen often.
    Hope you are managing too!
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
      I’ve decided to kick my idea into touch, it’s all getting too complicated. It was a simple idea that some thought good.
      Not being one to be messed about, I hand it over to someone else to sort out - sorry
      That's a shame Trev but I totally understand.

Well I'm happy to Start it off. Basics would be:

*Any picture taken within a 3 months period - No theme

*Must not have been posted into any other thread on this forum*

* First place only - no 2nd or 3rd (based on which I like the most) if it was me I would offer a highly commended as well but we will stick to first place only as that seemed the most popular opinion by all on the thread.

* Feedback - optional for the judge at the time, but encouraged to help others realize why it was chosen. This then gives those who aren't confident on commenting the option not to, with no judgement from any member involved.

*And the normal stuff - canon cameras only but not limited to digital. Any lens, any accessories, any filter and editing allowed.

What's people thoughts on that?
      I would obviously amend the "rules" in better format once the new challenge starts.

I hope that we can all find a middle ground on which everybody is happy with. This is a great forum with lots of pictures shared regularly. All of which have been worthy of competition.
      ​​​​​

​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by @imagesBV View Post
        Yeah, just about got to grips with it.....though I was awake 4.30am trying to sort out a planning problem for January....that doesnt happen often.
        Hope you are managing too!
        Ahh good, pleased to hear that on the whole it's all manageable .

Yeah we're ploughing on through Brian, thanks for asking. Some days are more stressful than others. But comes with the territory I guess. You never truly clock off when you're your own boss so I understand the 4:30 start and the still working at 10/11pm

Comment

Originally posted by NathCarr91 View Post

That's a shame Trev but I totally understand.

Well I'm happy to Start it off. Basics would be:

*Any picture taken within a 3 months period - No theme

*Must not have been posted into any other thread on this forum*

* First place only - no 2nd or 3rd (based on which I like the most) if it was me I would offer a highly commended as well but we will stick to first place only as that seemed the most popular opinion by all on the thread.

* Feedback - optional for the judge at the time, but encouraged to help others realize why it was chosen. This then gives those who aren't confident on commenting the option not to, with no judgement from any member involved.

*And the normal stuff - canon cameras only but not limited to digital. Any lens, any accessories, any filter and editing allowed.

What's people thoughts on that?
          I would obviously amend the "rules" in better format once the new challenge starts.

I hope that we can all find a middle ground on which everybody is happy with. This is a great forum with lots of pictures shared regularly. All of which have been worthy of competition.
          ​​​​​

​​​​​
          Well done I thought you may take the bait. Once murmuring's of every three months and giving comments on the picture came into it. I decided I was out.
          Personally I don't think my idea or what you have in mind will make a big hit, the Forum is no where as active as it was a few years back, with so many of the 'old school' now gone.
          Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

That looks like a good middle ground from which to go forward …if we are in agreement to proceed..
            in the past I’ve offered to run this every month for three months to try and revitalise it….thanks to Trev for making the first offer to take action here as a catalyst for change….and to Nath for taking it forward.
            Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Sounds good to me and if you don't try you'll never know. Hopefully I can find something to ptut up - I see so many excellent photographs here that I am somewhat reticent to post any of mine. Guess I just need to bite the bullet and see. I am still getting used to retirement and need to "find my groove" as it were.
              ---------------------
              Ian C.

Comment

I am sorry to see that this has become so complicated, now it is my opinion that it s getting so muddled that I would rather see it back to where it is now with just 6 or so members really putting thought into their shots. Trev’s offer has been swept aside as though it had never been offered. Challenge means just that, not just looking through your 3 month back catalogue and saying that is the best I have taken I will put that in. So for that reason I will judge the present challenge until the end of the month and hand it over to who ever wants to take it on. One thing I would agree with is, whoever wins can either put critique in or just place their top three.
                P.S. we are getting more response to this than e do the challenge. I have also not heard from the magazine so they are obviously don’t care.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy M View Post
                  I am sorry to see that this has become so complicated, now it is my opinion that it s getting so muddled that I would rather see it back to where it is now with just 6 or so members really putting thought into their shots. Trev’s offer has been swept aside as though it had never been offered. Challenge means just that, not just looking through your 3 month back catalogue and saying that is the best I have taken I will put that in. So for that reason I will judge the present challenge until the end of the month and hand it over to who ever wants to take it on. One thing I would agree with is, whoever wins can either put critique in or just place their top three.
                  P.S. we are getting more response to this than e do the challenge. I have also not heard from the magazine so they are obviously don’t care.
                  David, As I said to you in my PM . I decided to quit with my simple idea, when as you say it started to get complicated. I don't think any type of challenge, my idea or the new one will work on the site now. The site has lost too many people for various reasons. In my opinion the whole site needs a re-vamp, there are a lot of threads that have not had a posting for years. There again I'm involved in several military forums and it's the same on them. My only reason for putting my idea forward was to try and keep the forum alive in a simple way.
                  Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Perhaps we should all take a breather…..and start again with a statement of intent…and then develop the process. Or better just adopt Nath’s suggested format and then build on that.
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy M View Post
                      As I have said previously, I do not read every post. If you want to draw my attention to an issue, please use the 'Contact us' link at the bottom of the page, or email me at robert@eos-magazine.com

The monthly challenge was set up and run by forum members. I do. not see it as part of my work to get involved, though I am quite happy to offer my views, if asked.
                      Robert
                      robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post

As I have said previously, I do not read every post. If you want to draw my attention to an issue, please use the 'Contact us' link at the bottom of the page, or email me at robert@eos-magazine.com

The monthly challenge was set up and run by forum members. I do. not see it as part of my work to get involved, though I am quite happy to offer my views, if asked.
                        I have written to the magazine, to Angela, the editor, not the consultant editor?

Comment

Originally posted by @imagesBV View Post
                          Perhaps we should all take a breather…..and start again with a statement of intent…and then develop the process. Or better just adopt Nath’s suggested format and then build on that.
                          This is very sound advice! Also thank you for your support Brian .

Comment

Originally posted by Wings and Things View Post
                            Sounds good to me and if you don't try you'll never know. Hopefully I can find something to ptut up - I see so many excellent photographs here that I am somewhat reticent to post any of mine. Guess I just need to bite the bullet and see. I am still getting used to retirement and need to "find my groove" as it were.
                            Thanks Ian.
                            I used to feel the same when I started on the forum, but you soon realize that every one here is friendly and helpful.

Comment

Yes Trev I have taken the 'Bait' as you put it. However it was me who first suggested about any image within that month. Only reason I hadn't offered to run with it at the time was because I was waiting to see what other peoples opinions were on that as there are much longer standing member than myself and I didn't want to step on anybody's toes.

I'm more than happy to start it off and see how it goes, I think the forum is a great place and I've certainly learned a lot being a member, so want to keep it alive

I also just want to say that I do feel it's a bit unfair to say that the magazine obviously doesn't care. They have a magazine to edit and publish for us all so I imagine they have much more pressing matters to attend to, other than trying to sort out something that people can't agree on. It's also worth noting that they allow all of us to use this forum completely free of charge for any canon user without the need of subscribing to the magazine. That doesn't seem to me as people who don't care.

If the majority is happy. I will start the new challenge style in the new year. This hopefully allows people time to get through the busy period of Christmas. I also don't mind running it personally for a couple of months to try and iron out any kinks that crop up before handing the reigns over to a new judge (hopefully this helps people have an understanding of the new format before taking over).

It's worth a shot right.

*I am in agreement with David though....this is getting more interest than the actual challenge itself.
                              Last edited by NathCarr91; 02-12-2023, 11:54.

Comment

Nath. I put the didn’t care in the context of they would not mind us changing the format, I have more respect for this magazine than to run it down. I would not have improved my photography over the last nine years of being on this forum and reading the magazine without both.

Comment

Working...
                                X