No announcement yet.

Theme for June - Bright & Cheerful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to belong to a similar site that wasn't manufacturer specific. It went the way I see this site going with fewer and fewer contributors despite having a large following. Eventually it went the same way as most of the best camera magazines and closed its doors for good. The overall lack of contributions is very worrying. I really do feel that the site needs to be more accessible and welcoming. I know that everyone who contributes adopts a a friendly approach and that's great but as person with years of experience in IT, the site is visually and technically both dull and difficult to use.
    People are used to slick and inviting websites and this is neither. It's a photography website where 80+% of the content is text One improvement would be a headline page of recently posted images in a rolling display. It is, in short, visually boring.
    Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NathCarr91 View Post
      Alan has another good point. Also I think the site is a little difficult to use at first. Especially for uploading images. Say from a mobile device. It Could almost do with a mobile friendly revamp. Or could maybe spur more users if it was on say discord or something like that. The pushing film discord server is non stop all day.

I don't know about everybody else but in terms of members active, It only ever seems like a dozen or so active members are online and others are just non members that are browsing. Like now for example it says 256 people online 5 members and the rest are guests. So it does get alot of traffic but Maybe we need to intise them to join up. Surely there would be more posts then?

There's one thing though...... This discussion has encouraged a few posts
      What is difficult about up-loading to the site, I've never had a problem, and I'm not even computer minded. Why allow up-loading from mobile devices, I assume you mean phones etc. This is a dedicated Canon site for images taken with a SLR/DSLR. Personally I don't see anything wrong with the site as it stands.
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

If it is going to change to. “Your best shot of the month” then an easy solution to photo of the month would be for people to just press the like button and the person at the end of the month with the most likes is the photo of the month.
        Though to put my pennyworth in, I find the different subjects on the challenge pushes my knowledge and experience of photography, I try to enter every month for that reason. If you just have your favourite monthly shot it would more likely be in an area that you are comfortable with.

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post

What is difficult about up-loading to the site, I've never had a problem, and I'm not even computer minded. Why allow up-loading from mobile devices, I assume you mean phones etc. This is a dedicated Canon site for images taken with a SLR/DSLR. Personally I don't see anything wrong with the site as it stands.
          I know that it's a dedicated Canon site and all pictures are to be taken with a slr or dslr which is what I do. So please dont think for a second that I mean pictures taken with a mobile phone should be allowed.
          I'm meaning uploading pictures from lightroom via mobile. I edit all my images on lightroom and then have the lightroom app on my phone so I can put my edits onto the likes of this site and lomography, Instagram, Blipfoto, flikr. All very simple and easier to use from a mobile device. People have phones on them all the time and probably do most stuff like that from a phone. Some Canon cameras connect and can send pictures direct to phone. So thats what I mean more mobile friendly. Not everyone is at a Computer or laptop but everyone has a phone on them.

​​​​​​There just my thoughts, I like the site and have done since I joined up. I'm just expressing my opinion as to why people may not post images or topics.
          Last edited by NathCarr91; 02-08-2022, 12:19.

Comment

Originally posted by NathCarr91 View Post

I know that it's a dedicated Canon site and all pictures are to be taken with a slr or dslr which is what I do. So please dont think for a second that I mean pictures taken with a mobile phone should be allowed.
            I'm meaning uploading pictures from lightroom via mobile. I edit all my images on lightroom and then have the lightroom app on my phone so I can put my edits onto the likes of this site and lomography, Instagram, Blipfoto, flikr. All very simple and easier to use from a mobile device. People have phones on them all the time and probably do most stuff like that from a phone. Some Canon cameras connect and can send pictures direct to phone. So thats what I mean more mobile friendly. Not everyone is at a Computer or laptop but everyone has a phone on them.

​​​​​​There just my thoughts, I like the site and have done since I joined up. I'm just expressing my opinion as to why people may not post images or topics.
            Take your point. Perhaps I’m the odd one out on here. I do not bother with photoshop or lightroom leave alone have it on my phone. A phone to me is what it is a phone. I do admit I do have Photoshop but like someone said to me recently the Romans brought it into the country - Elements 10. If I do need to mess around with a picture which is not very often then I use DPP. It’s a case with me of what I see, is what I take, is what you get.
            Trev

Flickr:

Comment

The main problem, in my view, is the site is visually very old fashioned looking. The first thing you see is text, text and more text.
              Hell it's supposed to be a photography site!
              Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

Comment

Originally posted by SpringfieldPhoto View Post
                The main problem, in my view, is the site is visually very old fashioned looking. The first thing you see is text, text and more text.
                Hell it's supposed to be a photography site!
                I must be old fashioned as well as all I see is photo’s, constructive comments and helpful advice and the most friendly of sites I am on.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy M View Post

I must be old fashioned as well as all I see is photo’s, constructive comments and helpful advice and the most friendly of sites I am on.
                  I agree and with you David, although this is the only site I’m on.
                  Trev

Flickr:

Comment

I wouldn't argue about the quality of content or the friendly attitude but the overall impression is that not inviting.
                    Alan

Comment

On arriving at the site the front page should be visually inviting. I was involved in website design in a past life and we worked on many websites for clients.. When someone clicks on a site you have 5 seconds to grab their attention, a screen full of text won't do that. The result is that people click away from the site.
                      The next problem is that it doesn't encourage people to post pictures. There are very few people posting pictures, I can name most of them. Clearly people do not see this site as a vehicle for their work. That, in my view, is down to the dull format of the site.
                      I do post pictures but I am seriously considering stopping as i don't see the point in continuing.
                      Last edited by SpringfieldPhoto; 03-08-2022, 12:03.
                      Alan

Comment

Working...
                      X