Going BONKERS!- Wither Great Britain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going BONKERS!- Wither Great Britain?

I am sure we will end up in the land of the Nod if we continue to go on like this.

(i) It is the height of lunancy to know that the Environmental Agency (the floods agency) spent hundreds of pounds ,of the tax payers money, on "equality tea" gay awareness mugs and approx £30k on gay parade marches when that money could have been spent on flood prevention- more dredging works,more sandbags,more river barriers etc. Is this a secret agenda of the Environment agency?
    (ii) it is with much regret that one must note the massive overseas aid budget & money being sent abroad when this country's citizens are suffering so much by the floods? Is it too much to ask for some of the overseas budget be transferred to flood defence work so that the present misery to thousands of people can be prevented in the future?
    (iii) I consider, as a Christian,very offensive, to find that our "famous people" enjoy appointing/selecting as God parents those who have no interest in the Christian faith. For instance our Simon Cowell has selected his ex-girl friend as a "god" parent. I wonder when she last attended church? A God parent is one who, apart from being a Christian,is given the duty of ensuring that the child is brought to be baptised in church and then to oversee the christian upbringing of that child along with the child's parents. However,today, a "god" parent is one who is one who is to look to the welfare of the child and be some sort of an influential person in that child's life. Since this appears to be the modern interpretation of a "god parent" it would make much more sense to name such a person as "interested "fairy" father and "fairy" mother, rather than bringing God into the equation. I am certain other religions will not tolerate such things
    (iv) This country, today is too PC mad making it a soft touch for all the vandals,criminals and similar. It is this PC madness which enabled/s such vandalism as suffered by David Stallard. If David had given a smart clip behind the ears of the young vandal, he would have been charged with criminal assault and brought to court and even faced imprisonment! Why should our member David suffer in silence- atleast he had the opportunity to air his feelings on this EOS pub thread!

I can go on and on but I am sure other members will note the gist and trend of what I am saying. Is it therefore time for there to be another new political party, which is purely based on COMMONSENSE & COMMONSENSE VALUES, PRINCIPLES accepted by the commonsense majority of this country?
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 17-02-2014, 14:35.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Going BONKERS!- Wither Great Britain?

Well said Nat. I have been saying for ages that the UK government should have a 10-year moratorium on overseas aid while we get back on our feet. I, and thousands of others, signed the Daily Mail online petition demanding overseas aid should be suspended to help our own flood prevention programme.
    The problems suffered by David Stallard makes my blood boil. Try to reprimand miscreants even for minor misdemeanours like dropping litter and you get an abusive mouthful back.

Ian
    EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

This Gov, the previous Gov and lord knows how many before have failed the people and will continually fail the people of this land until we say enough is enough. Poor gents like Richard, builds up such a beautiful home only for it to be flooded for weeks on end with no help. Politicians come down in their wellies and point at flooded plains in some pathetic show of support then go back to their dry land and forget about it.

The Gov pretend there's no money left, there needs to be cuts, and all that. The truth is that it's the corporations that control this Gov. They are all lining their pockets with tax payers money. The more money that actually needs to go to public services, emergency funds and helping the people is money that's not in the bankers pockets. The tories ideal has always been to protect the rich, and throw the scraps to the poor.

Can anyone give us a real reason why we're still at war? Syria have folded in civil war but no-one has run in to help their people? At £20k a rocket fired from an Apache helicopter, I'm sure this country needs that money more than it's destination needs it. That could pay for one police officer for one year.

You know know why the Gov get away with it? The vast majority of people of this country are too busy watching X-factor, Homes under the hammer, Jeremy Kyle and all the other brain dead tv. The Gov have become untouchable. They have made themselves into celebrities and they want to riches that come with it.

It's criminal.
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Well said, it's hard to disagree with any of the comments.
        Andy

Comment

I was always taught that charity begins at home. So why is the UK government still paying out over 9 billion pounds every year in foreign aid when the UK is in need of so much money itself? Just think what 9 billion could do for flood defences, rant over

John

Comment

Unless things have changed recently, both India and China were receiving Foreign Aid from us - that is you and I. I have never seen it explained why countries with their own nuclear weapons programmes and space programmes need any help from us. A lot of that money could usefully be spent all round our coasts and rivers, rather than this policy of letting nature take it's course. And as for Chris Smith.....there's someone we could usefully send to China - permanently!

Has anyone been to Glasson Dock recently? The EA have decided to let the coastline naturally erode. It's just a pity that there is a thriving little hamlet right there. Well the folks can always move somewhere else can't they? Ask for help from the EA? Sorry we don't provide that service. I get really angry, as you can probably tell!

Comment

Originally posted by John27 View Post
              So why is the UK government still paying out over 9 billion pounds every year in foreign aid when the UK is in need of so much money itself? Just think what 9 billion could do for flood defences
              It's a fair question, especially when some aid goes to countries spending millions on nuclear weapons, space programs or military hardware.
              In light of recent events it would not seem unreasonable to divert some aid to flood defences, river dredging and aid for farmers affected.
              My guess is it won't happen though, and in a few months time we will still have rivers and water ways badly silted and coastal areas with insufficient flood defences.
              Andy

Comment

Politics, religion, environment, economics and crime all in one post!

About the only potentially controversial subject missed out is sport (unless you feel that having a go at Simon Cowell falls into that category).

I will await the start of the revolution ... but I doubt that it will change a thing.
                Chris

My Website

Comment

As mentioned by John27, charity begins at home. It is not difficult if all our good forum members think about writing directly to David Cameron and Ed Milliband our concerns and views with a copy to the relevant MP, I am sure the message WILL get through. In my books it is apathy of the people, people like us that is the root cause of all this trouble. I am saying this as even now I have several people in my sights including my local MP,the County Council, the Archbishops of Canterbury and York to mention a few. The Freedom of information act is a very good tool for us, the smaller fry, to make use of successfully. This act enables us to get first hand information,legally,and can be made use of to good effect.
                  Last edited by Nathaniel; 17-02-2014, 19:50.
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Originally posted by freshwater View Post
                    Politics, religion, environment, economics and crime all in one post!

About the only potentially controversial subject missed out is sport (unless you feel that having a go at Simon Cowell falls into that category).

I will await the start of the revolution ... but I doubt that it will change a thing.
                    What sort of sport are you referring to? is it about being the world champion in laying "eggs" here and there?
                    Last edited by Nathaniel; 17-02-2014, 19:51.

Comment

Don't start me off please !!!!!!!!!!!!! Just vote UKIP, they are making "Call me Dave" and the rest THINK about what the majority know and want. STOP giving our money away to the rest of the so called developing world, we have no money anyway so Good Old Dave borrows it and gives it away, brilliant idea so can I have some please ??
                      Canon 100D, 18-135 IS STM, 50 1.8 STM, 220EX Flash.

Comment

I'm 100% with you Nat, on i. ii, and iv

I won't say anymore, as I have VERY strong views on some of what you say, and it would be difficult for me to 'bite my tongue'.

Dave
                        Last edited by Dave_S; 18-02-2014, 16:04.
                        Dave

Comment

Hmmm. This thread is covering a lot of topics!

Here's my 2cents for what it's worth.

Although there are times when it's taken too far, as long as people encounter racism, bigotry, homophobia and other prejudices, some sort of political correctness is inevitable - desirable, even.
                          I have no problem with the UK as a relatively affluent country providing aid to people who are in desperate need, but I do agree that giving money to countries that are spending (wasting?) millions on space exploration, nuclear weapons or even civil war seems inappropriate.
                          In terms of spending public money helping people affected by the dreadful flooding (and keep in mind there's a good chance this won't be a one-off), maybe if the government invested some money chasing down the companies and individuals who avoid, evade or otherwise don't pay their taxes, they'd raise billions that could be used to help clear the national debt and help out the communities that are in need here.

Finally, I can't for one minute see how voting for a one-policy party populated by people who are happy to publicly blame the weather we've experienced on the government's adoption of gay marriage will help at all.

As James Blunt said on Top Gear last night............. opinions are like ****holes - everybody's got one!

Comment

Well put Nat, totally agree.

Bill.
                            7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Just two matters I would like to comment on (i) re overseas aid to poor countries, it is important never to give them Money as 90% appear to go into the pockets of unprincipled government officers. We should do as what China does. Take British capital equipment and British experts & workers to those poor countries and do the work ourselves. If one looks at China's influence in African & Asian countries you find little China towns springing up full of Chinese people and proper development and infrastructure works taking place.This also knocks corruption on the head. (ii) Re James Blunt's statement about opinions and "xxxxholes", it must be pointed out that it is only when people have opinions that you find xxxxholes. If one doesn't have an opinion- a sad world it would be if this was the status quo- one doesn't find so many xxxxholes. To have an opinion and be free to express it is the hallmark of a free society, the hallmark of democracy. Long may it continue.

Comment

Working...
                              X