Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Capturing movement

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
    In the manner that an art lover is supposed to contemplate a painting I spent a couple of minutes contemplating this one and concluded that I like it a lot and can even see it hanging on a wall. Yes, very, very good indeed (but I suspect few will agree with me )

Cheers,
    John
    Agree 100% I love it

Comment

doesnt do it for me unfortunately ,if the dog /bird was reasonably sharp with a blurred bokah then yes it would work .but this might as well have been taken by a 4 year old on a mobile phone

Comment

It needs a special kind of person,an arty type to like this. However, I seem to like both the dog and duck in different ways.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Considering the amount of time, money and effort we put into getting sharpness in our images - and the criticism of others on this forum who have failed to do so with their images- I am surprised at finding such a tolerant and enthusiastic reception for both dog and duck on this thread!

This isn't just marmite time, it's emperor's new clothes time.

I'm all for pushing boundaries, and feeling the mood of the movement and all that.

But somewhere in the image I need something sharp- nose or beak at a minimum- to tell me that you meant it this way.

There, I've had my say. You can call me a boring old **** if you want!
          Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Not my kind of thing. But there are other 'styles' of photography that don't work for me either.

There are parts of these images that are really nice but would still like to see something in focus.
            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

It's far too early in the day (for me at least) to get too deeply into analysis - but I think this thread prompts the fundamental question "What is photography?"

For some it's about producing a 100% accurate record of something. These images are usually judged based upon mainly technical merits. I am firmly in this camp.

For others, it's about producing an interpretation and these need more artistic viewing. For me, both the dog and duck are in this category. I actually liked the duck instantly and the dog grows on me more as I view it. I would not want lots of these in a set but as artistic interpretations I think they both work.

Comment

Just to let you know that I was very dubious about my duck, but I decided, after some comments on here when I first published it in 2014, that I would enter it in a competition in the High Wycombe Photography Society... It won!!!

Hey, I don't mind who likes it and who doesn't. It has a place on my wall and I love it!!!

I guess I have always had a sense that you need to know the rules first, and then you can break them. I admire much of the "record" work here. I love the artistic outbreaks... It is probably me as a creative rather than following someone else's rules.
                Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

As an Amateur Artist & Photographer I often get asked "what is Art?"
                  If I'm feeling 'arty' then the answer a quote I learnt some time ago - "The power of suggestion is greater than a statement of reality". If I'm feeling normal then it's "Art is in the eye of the viewer".
                  Personally I like this type of shot especially where the subject is still recognisable. As Digiman says - you have to push the boundaries otherwise you just end up with 'snaps'.
                  Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

I always liked this one taken with the flash turned off:

IMG_1876 by John Leah, on Flickr

Any other lucky 'art' shots to share?

Cheers,
                    John

Comment

Posted this last week, Thought I would throw it in the mix here, I like it.

Robin by Peter Guy, on Flickr

Low light and Robin decided to take off as I pressed the shutter release
                      Peter

Canon EOS 350D - Canon 18-55mm, Canon 75-300mm, Cullmann Tripod,
                      Fiji Finepix S1800

https://www.flickr.com/photos/red_snapper_68/

Comment

This is a photo I took a few years ago which i quite like. I had the camera cradled in my arms and pressed the button on the bottom. I usually take photos of my feet, but it's not as catastrophic as when I was using film and taking pictures at 12 frames a second!

Accidental by Emyr Rhys Williams, on Flickr

Comment

Sorry, late to the discussion on this. Before seeing these examples I would have said that my opinion was that in any image something significant needs to be sharp in order to make the point that it was a conscious artistic decision to have the rest blurred. But I really like the spaniel and the duck, I think these work. Perhaps because the subjects are essentially single items against a pleasing background. But I don't think the final three do, I'm sorry, as these all look to me like one of my errors rather than conscious art. But of course, if you as the artist call it art, then it is. It brings to my mind the artist (can't remember who, it could have been Hirst or Emin, when someone said 'that's just a pile of stuff, I could have done that' they answered 'maybe, but you didn't, the difference is that I did').
                          Canon EOS 7D
                          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Working...
                          X